Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 05:27 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times

Advertisements

I have now become somewhat of a junkie of Google Earth's Street View, and I just had the pleasure of "experiencing" the beauty of Galena in Jo Daviess County from the comfort of my home office as the snow flakes are falling outside here in Scranton, PA. I did a search for threads pertinent to Galena on this forum and was shocked to see such little discussion about it. Can it truly be the best kept secret of Illinois?

Since there isn't much fanfare about Galena on this forum, am I to assume it's not a very popular town? That seems unusual to me, since Galena reminds me of a mirror image of Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania, a community that is very popular with tourists from Greater New York City. One would assume that folks in ChicagoLand would head out in droves to Galena as well.

Do any of you think Galena will see a "boom" if the Amtrak line between Dubuque and Chicago has a stop in Galena in 2009, making it attractive for folks in Chicago to head there for weekend getaways without the hassle of the long drive?

I'm sorry, but I've just absolutely fallen in love with this town from afar. I can't wait to vacation in Galena someday! It looks like a great place for one of my photo tours!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 05:52 PM

6 posts, read 27,747 times
I used to live about 10 miles west of Galena, and I worked in Galena for about 3 years. It is an extremely nice little town! My husband like to get those books from National Geographic and Time Life that are like, "100 Places in the US to See Before You Die" (or books along those lines), and Galena has been mentioned in a few of them. Not too bad for a town of 2000-3000 people! It is a HUGE tourist town, which is basically what keeps it afloat. Mostly people from Chicago come over for, as you mentioned, a getaway weekend. I think that if Amtrack did make a stop there, it would boom for sure!

I thought I had some pictures that I could post on here too, but I guess I will have to sign onto my laptop and make another post to put them up! I took some pictures last year at Grant Park, the downtown area, and the Galena River.

Anyway, thanks for starting this thread, and I'll be back with pictures! (hopefully )

Old 11-24-2008, 11:21 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Galena is definitely not a "best kept secret." That place is verily crawling with tourists some 6 months out of the year. There are several resorts in the area and more than a few Chicago-area residents keep vacation homes out there.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Galena is definitely not a "best kept secret." That place is verily crawling with tourists some 6 months out of the year. There are several resorts in the area and more than a few Chicago-area residents keep vacation homes out there.
It just looks so amazing from Google Earth street view. It reminds me a lot of Jim Thorpe, PA, as I said.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:23 PM

296 posts, read 1,183,414 times
It's a nice river bluff town, but what Drover typed is correct. It is not a "best kept secret" at all, and it is very touristy.

For my money there are many river towns that are just as pretty and far less overrun by suburbanites thinking they're roughing it in the country for a weekend. They may not have the number of little shops and amenities, but are just as gorgeous.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:55 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
It just looks so amazing from Google Earth street view. It reminds me a lot of Jim Thorpe, PA, as I said.
Its waaaaay better in person.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Its waaaaay better in person.
Invitation to visit Illinois? I don't even need one. I've wanted to take a month-long vacation exploring the Upper Midwest for as long as I can remember. Madison, Milwaukee, the Twin Cities, Duluth, Chicago, Des Moines, and Detroit are all on my list. I'll add Galena as well.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:22 PM

990 posts, read 3,187,250 times
Quote:
Invitation to visit Illinois? I don't even need one. I've wanted to take a month-long vacation exploring the Upper Midwest for as long as I can remember. Madison, Milwaukee, the Twin Cities, Duluth, Chicago, Des Moines, and Detroit are all on my list. I'll add Galena as well.
That's a trip i'll do any day, minus Chicago, as i'm around here all the time.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:15 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,613,376 times
Quote:

That would be so cool!

I've never been to Galena either, plan on visiting sometime.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:57 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,393,265 times
We have always enjoyed Galena, we love the history and the beautiful of the town and its surrounding area. Friends own a beautiful second home in the Galena Territory and we visit often, it's a great place for golf.
There are some wonderful restaurants you'll need to try when you visit. One recommendation is Fried Green Tomatoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois