Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2007, 01:44 PM

131 posts, read 648,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntaxburn View Post
You dont know what youve got till its gone...the sign of an immature person is if that person cannot understand another point of view, despite their personal opinion...Almost everything that is anti-urban is in Indiana, which is a huge reason, if not THE reason why so many people love it here. I prefer getting home from work in 10 minutes rather than 110 minutes..i prefer driving 10 minutes to go fishing as opposed to driving 2 hrs to go to a pay lake..i prefer down to earth people over the ant farms that are big cities..i prefer having four seasons, it delineates life and places life experiences into a time and place that is distinct, rather than :rememeber that time when it was hot? oh yeah its hot all the time...um, rememeber that time when it was not so hot? or that time it was really stinking hot? Those little memories like the truck not starting in the freezing morning, or of having to scoop a foot of snow off your car before work, or having a white christmas, or having thanksgiving dinner in a place that just looks perfect for turkey carving and football..it all adds up to a life of seasons and little hurdles that for me, make like a little less monotonous...of course its all preference...you sound young, so like others have said, go out and see what is best for your, but unless your going to be living in a high-rise penthouse, Im willing to bet that traffic/crime/pollution/a loss of individuality will pervade if you stay long enough in a huge urban environment. But for some people, those things dont bother them...my aunt was born and grew up in Indiana, and now she lives in LA and she loves it (still figuring that one out)..good luck!
Thanks for your contribution, and thanks for writing that I sound young. Actually, I am 50 years of age and am frequently told that I look younger (clean living). Yes, Indy has alot of advantages and is an ideal place to raise a family (I myself am a family of one). However, I have been here now for nearly five years and I am just about ready to throw in the towel and leave Indy and Hoosierland for that matter. This place is indeed nice, but it hasn't been nice to me over the last 2+ years. Getting passed over for employment and losing temp jobs through no fault of my own can deflate the confidence of even the most confident of individuals. I took a risk when I decided to move here, and it turned out to be the wrong decision to make pure and simple. ON the other hand, if I had decided not to live here, I never would have known how it would have turned out. Despite the crap that I have experienced over the last couple of years, I still am quite fond of the area, but I have absolutely no prospects here and I have no contacts.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 5,504 times
Thumbs down hobart, indiana

I've lived in portage for quite some time and loved it! My husband and I had hard times so we moved to hobart indiana and let me tell you some of the people out here are just plain rude, maybe its just the particular area we live in but I'm not saying all of hobart is bad, but we moved to a mobile home park and there is no curfue and kids run about the place with no parental supervision what so ever! There have been so many break-ins and vandalism out here and not to mention the neighbors cats and dogs running around tearing up every ones yards, its disgusting! My husband and I are educated people and I am currently in college trying to better my situation and move out of this particular area and buy a house in portage or valparaiso.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:07 PM

458 posts, read 2,775,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntaxburn View Post
You dont know what youve got till its gone...the sign of an immature person is if that person cannot understand another point of view, despite their personal opinion...Almost everything that is anti-urban is in Indiana, which is a huge reason, if not THE reason why so many people love it here. I prefer getting home from work in 10 minutes rather than 110 minutes..i prefer driving 10 minutes to go fishing as opposed to driving 2 hrs to go to a pay lake..i prefer down to earth people over the ant farms that are big cities..i prefer having four seasons, it delineates life and places life experiences into a time and place that is distinct, rather than :rememeber that time when it was hot? oh yeah its hot all the time...um, rememeber that time when it was not so hot? or that time it was really stinking hot? Those little memories like the truck not starting in the freezing morning, or of having to scoop a foot of snow off your car before work, or having a white christmas, or having thanksgiving dinner in a place that just looks perfect for turkey carving and football..it all adds up to a life of seasons and little hurdles that for me, make like a little less monotonous...of course its all preference...you sound young, so like others have said, go out and see what is best for your, but unless your going to be living in a high-rise penthouse, Im willing to bet that traffic/crime/pollution/a loss of individuality will pervade if you stay long enough in a huge urban environment. But for some people, those things dont bother them...my aunt was born and grew up in Indiana, and now she lives in LA and she loves it (still figuring that one out)..good luck!
Not everyone likes what you like. I don't fish, I don't hike in the woods, and I don't have a small town mentality. The second sentence of your post is probably true, yet you preach it but don't follow it. I don't know if you were talking to me or someone else here in the thread but you're basically saying Indiana is perfect for you (your opinion) but I'm absolutely out of my mind if I leave (you didn't understand another point of view dispite your opinion)... I'm sure it is probably everywhere but I've found that a lot of people around here have that "my way is the right way" type of attitude where everything you think or do is right and anyone that disagrees or thinks something else than what you think is ignorant or something.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:26 PM

6 posts, read 18,230 times
Corn

Soybeans

Last edited by domergurl; 08-20-2007 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: There's just no need for the hate

Old 08-20-2007, 05:06 PM

799 posts, read 2,168,960 times
Naw, the real reason is .....the job market. Let's face it, if there were great paying jobs, and you could live well, you'd live anywhere, well, almost anywhere...I have been struggling, too, since I left here.
I call Indiana "Ohio-Light", because it is like an extension of Ohio.
There are very few jobs here.
Oh, let the crazies tell you there are jobs, but if you can't find one in your field, and you live in a big city, that's pretty bad.
I once went to a job fair between jobs in my field. The "Job" was a phone job, evening hours, TEMPORARY FOR 3 MONTHS, NO health insurance or benefits, $9.00, and when I went to interview, I was told 300 people came to apply for that job.
Tells you something.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:07 PM

Addendum to my previous post...it should read I have been struggling, too, since I came here.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:57 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,881 times
The reality of almost the entire US right now is that the job market like the real estate market is tanking. Good paying middle-class jobs are not available like they used to be. There's more competition for them than ever before and the competition is growing while the supply decreasing. Go ahead, check the other states highlighted at CD you'll find the same story everywhere folks.

Another thought, if you have years of anecdotal evidence for being miserable in Indiana or anywhere else for that matter for multitudes of reasons perhaps you ought to consider that you might be the problem (or have a problem). Indeed you may have been miserable anywhere. For those of us who have lived all over the US and traveled the world, indeed although the grass often appears greener elsewhere it usually isn't. You're likely not to find the happiness you seek in a particular place - happiness comes from within.

Yes, Indiana is one of the conservative states. Yes, it is more rural than many others. Yes, there are generations of families who have set roots here. Yes, the foundations of cities like Fort Wayne and Indianapolis are blue collar. Yes, diversity varies from a little diverse to not diverse at all in some areas. Yes, families are much more numerous than single or divorced people in many of Indiana's areas. Yes if you are married without kids you may be asked when you are going to have kids in Indiana. Yes, if you are an open-atheist or non-Christian you may find yourself sticking out among the typical Hoosiers. Yes, Hoosiers take a while to warm up to outsiders (but once they do they will be your friends for life). Yes, there are places with more hills and trees and colder and hotter weather. Yes, there are a lot of uneducated or undereducated Hoosiers. Yes, there are a ton of low-paying service jobs in Indiana (Wal-mart is in fact the #1 employer in all Indiana). Yes, if you don't like watch or play sports, or to hunt, or to fish or to drink beer or to boat - then you may have a difficult time as a man talking with and befriending other men in Indiana. Yes indeed all that said - Indiana isn't for everyone despite an equally potentially large list of reasons why it is a great place.

I always advise anyone considering to relocate to Indiana from elsewhere to spend some time visiting and really evaluating the move before committing. In fact I advise anyone looking to relocate anywhere to do such due diligence. It's a smart thing to do. Although you cannot hope to prepare and plan for all of life's surprises, you certainly can put forth a little effort trying to anticipate a few.

Last edited by belovenow; 08-21-2007 at 07:17 AM..

Old 08-21-2007, 05:49 PM

131 posts, read 648,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig'sbird View Post
I like it here in Indy. Would I like to move? Hell yes, but not because of the state. I would love to move to the hills of VA, but due to lack of employment outside of the mines I'm staying here. The hills of KY are also appealing to me, but for now I'm content in Indy.

My best advice to you about moving? Don't. Join the Army instead and they'll pay you to travel.

Good advice as far as joining the Army is concerned. I was in the Army from 83-89, and was going to make it a career until I injured my back in the line of duty. Otherwise, I would have made it a career. I am delighted you like living in Indy. I have been here just about five years, and consider it a fine place for raising kids. IN my case, that does not apply as I am a confirmed bachelor. Yeah, I like the place but I will more than likely be leaving during the fall because of the lously job market. I am fed up with getting passed over, ignored, jerked around and so forth. I currently work for the State of Indiana in a temporary capacity and am earning peanuts to keep the bills paid, and I have been doing this out of necessity because I have fallen prey to a bunch of bloody fools and their highly arbitrary standards, in spite of my strong work ethic. Based on what I have experienced in the circle city, unless you have alot of contacts, getting a job is pretty tough which is why I have been riding the temporary job bus in a matter of speaking. It has been a very frustrating and even bitter experience for me, especially over the last 2+ years and I've just about had it. I actually moved here to build a better life for myself, and I just got poked by the fickle finger of fate in spite of my best efforts. This place is a nice place. I don't hate it, even though it has not been nice to me over the last couple of years.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:49 AM

mbuzsu, I am tired of you knocking my posts. You have repeatedly made personal jabs at me such as:
Another thought, if you have years of anecdotal evidence for being miserable in Indiana or anywhere else for that matter for multitudes of reasons perhaps you ought to consider that you might be the problem (or have a problem). Indeed you may have been miserable anywhere. For those of us who have lived all over the US and traveled the world, indeed although the grass often appears greener elsewhere it usually isn't. You're likely not to find the happiness you seek in a particular place - happiness comes from within.
You also seem to have just stumbled upon the knowledge that the economy is bad all over. You are informing us of old news. We already know this. The news is about 20 years old.
You also have a flair for the obvious and talk to others like they are 2 years old:
always advise anyone considering to relocate to Indiana from elsewhere to spend some time visiting and really evaluating the move before committing. In fact I advise anyone looking to relocate anywhere to do such due diligence. It's a smart thing to do. Although you cannot hope to prepare and plan for all of life's surprises, you certainly can put forth a little effort trying to anticipate a few.
And you seem to know the whole scoop:
Yes, Hoosiers take a while to warm up to outsiders (but once they do they will be your friends for life). Yes, there are places with more hills and trees and colder and hotter weather. Yes, there are a lot of uneducated or undereducated Hoosiers.
Jeesh.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:51 AM

Oh, and I forgot this gem Yes, if you don't like watch or play sports, or to hunt, or to fish or to drink beer or to boat - then you may have a difficult time as a man talking with and befriending other men in Indiana. Yes indeed all that said - Indiana isn't for everyone despite an equally potentially large list of reasons why it is a great place.
All I can say is WOW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana