Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2007, 05:05 AM

9 posts, read 38,263 times

Advertisements

I am a recent transplant to Indiana (Indianapolis) from Southern California (native Angeleno). I came here for matters of the heart. Also, my guy was not interested in moving to Los Angeles and getting into the rat race back home.

I must say I am surprised to be here. This is not any place (Indiana; the mid-west) that has ever been on my radar.

Although, it is 500 times slower here and things are kind of ass-backward- I intend on getting involved and making a good time for myself, while we are here for the next year and a half. Also, I am finally working (finding a full-time job in retail job took about four months and the pay is shocking low for where I came from

Last edited by dusty71; 09-12-2007 at 05:16 AM..

Old 09-12-2007, 08:15 AM

919 posts, read 3,185,590 times
well at least its not overrun with criminals...i look forward to moving there myself.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:39 PM

5 posts, read 60,552 times
My husband, me, and our children moved to DFW in Texas last year from northwest Indiana (which we HATED by the way) and we love it here!!!! You'll never catch us in Indiana again....

Old 10-01-2007, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 6,032 times
Default Perhaps Indiana ain't for everyone.

Them's some rally big wurds for some1 from Kentucky. My guess is they had a Hoosier compose the letter. Perhaps this person struck "Black Gold" and could afford the move to Indiana. This is of course is said with tongue-in-cheek, as Kentucky is also a wonderful place.

While Indiana isn't exactly a tourist destination, it's not a bad place to live.
I relocated to Indiana 14 years ago by choice, and I'm glad I did. You won't find a friendlier bunch of people anywhere.

I live in a rural area that has not yet been consumed by residential construction. I wouldn't go back to a large city for any amount of money. If you don't arrive with a chip on your shoulder, people will welcome you with open arms. Granted, we're not exactly the wine and cheese type here, but I don't believe Kentucky is either. If you're looking for unspoiled topography, a nice change of seasons, and neighbors you can depend on, Indiana may be for you. If you want to impress people with your vocabulary, like the original critic attempted, perhaps you should consider relocating elsewhere.

I'm certain a person from Kentucky would NEVER be looked down upon or poked fun at if they took their southern accent to New York City. I ain't never traveled nowhere past the county line, but I hear tell they's got wine and cheese BOTH in New York City.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:11 PM

7 posts, read 29,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreo View Post
I was born in Chicago but moved to Indiana in the mid 90's. First to Gary, IN which wasn't as bad as people made it out to be. But I thought of it as temporary until I could save enough to move to a better area. And 5 years later I did just that and purchased a house in Portage, IN.
I thought it was a wonderful place. Quiet. Friendly neighbors. Great house. Light traffic. Close to the sites and sounds of Chicago. And the list goes on and on.

However because of my job I had to move to Des Moines, IA. While it's not bad. It's not Portage. I'm still hoping to make my way back to Portage one day. And in my mind that day can't come soon enough.
I agree about Portage. I've lived here for over 30 years and I think that Portage is great. I think that NW Indiana is very different from the rest of Indiana, though. I went to college in Marion, IN, and my mom is from a small town in southern Indiana. Both areas are very different from here and no way would I want to live in either place. I think that Indiana tends to be like the state that the area of it is near. East Indiana mimics Ohio; Southern Indiana mimics Kentucky; Norhtern Indiana mimics Michigan; Northwest Indiana mimics Chicago and surrounding suburbs.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:19 PM

7 posts, read 29,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdue1906 View Post
NW Indiana is, in my opinion, somewhere that you've a) got to be from or b) you live and commute to Chicago everyday for work, to really like and want to stay. It does give you quick access to Chicago (although I can't understand why people move to Valpo but act and talk like they live in Chicago or an Illinois burb, but whatever). There are some nice communities (Munster, Valpo, Chesterton), some decent ones (Highland, Dyer), some overrated ones (Crown Point, Schereville, Griffith), some that you have to pretty much be a native to move to (Gary, Hammond, East Chicago). It's all a matter of what you want, what your priorities are, and what you can afford.
In reference to the bolded part - because Portage, Valpo, etc. are considered a suburb of Chicago. Portage, Valpo, Gary, Munster, Hammond, etc. are often referred to as The Region. It may sound odd because it's Indiana and not Illinois, but a good majority of the people in this area (The Region) are dependant on Chicago for jobs and such. Thus, making our own economy dependant on Chicago. Plus, many of the cities in our area of Northwest Indiana are actually closer than many of the Illinois suburbs.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:54 PM

580 posts, read 1,681,450 times
I'm a resident of Michigan, and we look down on Indiana and believe it to be isolated areas.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:35 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,537,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Michigan View Post
I'm a resident of Michigan, and we look down on Indiana and believe it to be isolated areas.
I'm also 100% Michigan, but a 20 year resident of Indiana. My Michigan family and friends do not "look down" on Indiana. They believe Indiana to be a state with numerous great colleges and a place they like to come to shop. My mother once said that you could get anything you wanted in Indiana.

Your comment says more about Michiganders then it does Hoosiers....and I'm here to say that both states have great people who don't look down on anyone.

That said....I'm moving back to Michigan the first chance I get...the older I get, the more I need to be 20 minutes from a beach.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:44 AM

540 posts, read 1,911,065 times
I hate Indiana and I've been here longer than expected. As soon as opportunities come my way I am going to high tail it out of here. There's nothing positive here. And nothing to do here. Sure I would rate it better than some other states but Indiana does nothing for me. I don't care for the people here either.

Last edited by domergurl; 11-06-2007 at 06:58 AM..

Old 11-06-2007, 12:50 PM

413 posts, read 1,846,166 times
I'm only responding the the original question.

Yes, I hate Indiana. Been here for 31 years and never liked it. Raising a family has never had any kind of appeal to me so needless to say I am not content here. I have several friends (social types like me) who have moved to Los Angeles and we are moving there March 1st. We have visited there several times and I even worked there temporarily and every time I come back to Indiana I feel sad and depressed. So we decided it is time to go. Only regret is I didn't leave here 10 years ago. I'm not big on seasons drastically changing and I love sunshine, so go figure.

The Upside: For me? None. However, I must admit if I were a family man Indiana would be great. Homes are cheap, schools are decent and the people...well the people for FAMILY things are great, not too friendly to us empty nesters though. If you enjoy 4 seasons go to Colorado, Indiana season patterns seem to jump around and theres really no rhyme or reason to them. For someone like me it is very unsettling here. Not into nascar, sports, farming, country lifestyles or bar hopping so that knocks out about 70% of what people do here.

Not trying to offend anyone, but Indiana is just not for me. It's never felt like home. We are leaving once and for all, but to those who like it here, more power to you and I wish you well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana