Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2007, 09:01 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times

Advertisements

You'd be surprised how many people commute to Chicago from Valpo. I was surprised when we lived there. They not only take the south shore and drive, but there's also a carpool lot at the toll road entrance. I knew someone who vanpooled it everyday.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:18 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,661,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdue1906 View Post
Other than that, Indianapolis, Bloomington and West Lafayette/Lafayette are the only other places worth living in in Indiana (though the landscape of Lafayette is changing with all the displaced Chicago public housing folks moving there).
My fiancé is from the Lafayette area, and we met @ Purdue. If it wasn't for the weather we would consider Lafayette, although our only serious contenders to replace our current employers down here in the South where we currently live (Louisiana) would be Indianapolis. I never had any complaints living in Lafayette. Again, if it wasn't for the weather it would be an excellent place to live. I fear however, that the weather is what keeps it decent. If the weather was warm like down here the place would probably overpopulate quickly and cost of living would increase dramatically, which is the catch-22 of the matter. I can't believe I'm saying this, having lived in the south for many years, but I kinda miss not having to deal with overt racial contentions as we do down here. Granted, Indiana doesn't have the black population Lousiana does, so I'm not about to argue Hoosiers are less racist than Louisianans (having the luxury of a homogeneous demographic base does not make you less racist than those who have to deal with a heterogeneous demographic) but it was nice not having to put up with the elevated crime in black areas and the resultant general apathy and accepted apartheid attitude down here along race lines. Is it worth an Indiana winter? Not for us so far, but who knows if we'll have a change of heart in a couple of years....

But pound for pound, particularly in this economy, you can't beat the cost-of-living of Lafayette/Bloomington and even Indy (when compared to other cities). I've lived in Atlanta and big cities are overrated, Chicago was rather unimpressive, the cost of living doesn't justify that hassle anymore...

Purdue1906 is that true that Lafayette is getting overrun by Chicago riff raff? That's a shame, it was (still is) a cheap, peaceful and convenient (w.r.t. to Indy) place to live. If so, what's fueling the migration? haven't been to lafayette in a couple months...

Old 11-08-2007, 09:30 AM

83 posts, read 397,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
My fiancé is from the Lafayette area, and we met @ Purdue. If it wasn't for the weather we would consider Lafayette, although our only serious contenders to replace our current employers down here in the South where we currently live (Louisiana) would be Indianapolis. I never had any complaints living in Lafayette. Again, if it wasn't for the weather it would be an excellent place to live. I fear however, that the weather is what keeps it decent. If the weather was warm like down here the place would probably overpopulate quickly and cost of living would increase dramatically, which is the catch-22 of the matter. I can't believe I'm saying this, having lived in the south for many years, but I kinda miss not having to deal with overt racial contentions as we do down here. Granted, Indiana doesn't have the black population Lousiana does, so I'm not about to argue Hoosiers are less racist than Louisianans (having the luxury of a homogeneous demographic base does not make you less racist than those who have to deal with a heterogeneous demographic) but it was nice not having to put up with the elevated crime in black areas and the resultant general apathy and accepted apartheid attitude down here along race lines. Is it worth an Indiana winter? Not for us so far, but who knows if we'll have a change of heart in a couple of years....

But pound for pound, particularly in this economy, you can't beat the cost-of-living of Lafayette/Bloomington and even Indy (when compared to other cities). I've lived in Atlanta and big cities are overrated, Chicago was rather unimpressive, the cost of living doesn't justify that hassle anymore...

Purdue1906 is that true that Lafayette is getting overrun by Chicago riff raff? That's a shame, it was (still is) a cheap, peaceful and convenient (w.r.t. to Indy) place to live. If so, what's fueling the migration? haven't been to lafayette in a couple months...

The short story is, Daley's "redevelopment" of the former public housing projects in Chicago into upscale condos and retail has displaces quite a few former residents of CHA housing, and a lot have found their way over the state line for housing. Lafayette has TONS of available rental property, due to, in my opinion, over building for the college students. WL is still the same, but Lafayette, particularly the southeast side, has seen an increase in new residents, a lot from Chicago. Gary has seen an increase too. Someone else can provide more details, I'm in a rush right now, but will type more later.

Overall, Bloomington is my fave city in Indiana, even though I'm a Boiler true and thru, Bloomington is a gem. The years I spent there for grad school were great.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:24 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
I don't know where you guys live or lived in Indiana that you would talk about nasty women, cutthroats, unreasonable bosses, rude cashiers without eye contact, looking different being a problem, a blackhole, "salem witch trials?"!...etc... I'd like it if you mention the town or towns you're referring to when you provide such critism because I'll stay away from them LOL! Not to mention that you could have similar generic-sounding experiences, anywhere!

Here in Fort Wayne I haven't seen problems like which you describe... sure the people working at Wal-mart seem pretty unhappy most of the time (but that is all over the country and nearly any Wal-mart - LOL, I wish Wal-mart would treat their employees better to help change this problem) but most of my customer service experiences have been way above average in Indiana. Even the really tiny small towns I've been to with my family when out exploring new areas had friendly people who wanted to chat with us. For poor customer service or rude people, or perhaps just to set a benchmark for reasonable expectations... visit Westchester NY... or Miami FL. You'll be lucky to get someone who can communicate in English and even if they can you will certainly not get smiles nor casual conversation from most workers. Perhaps other areas of Indiana really have problems as you've described... I thankfully haven't seen anything like what you've described around here.

Part of me hates to read so much negativity about my home state on a sub-forum like this geared towards people looking to potentially relocate to Indiana. Another part of me acknowledges that if it was true for me I might have been the first to say this place sucks and tell the world about it and then I would definitely leave (Fort Wayne is not close to other family of myself nor my wife --- there, that's my serious critism for Indiana)... but I've simply not seen what everyone has been describing. The friends and family who have visited us typically compare Fort Wayne to where they are from quite favorably and indeed I know in just a year a few of them will relocate out here.

I hope readers of a thread like this realize there is a natural human tendency to complain more loudly than to praise.. I think it is a ignorant thread started by someone who was leaving Indiana and who just had a lot of angst to vent. There was no altruistic reason for starting up a thread like this and the vast majority of the issues repeatedly expressed have been from people who haven't explained their points of view, background, nor even the specific area applicable.

Indiana is a huge state... you cannot even describe the weather in general terms since Southbend's weather vs that of Southern Indiana's is completely different! You certainly cannot describe the state's economics and culture in general terms either... rural to urban you get quite different job situations and people. I'm looking outside right now and it is bright and sunny and it's NE Indiana on November 7!... now I think that's not depressing folks... if you do then well good luck finding happiness wherever your travels lead you.

"Indiana is a huge state"...It is? Try going to Wyoming, California, Texas, even Ohio is bigger.
Jeesh.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:46 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
"Indiana is a huge state"...It is? Try going to Wyoming, California, Texas, even Ohio is bigger.
Jeesh.
Pulling something out of context to negatively comment on it is ridiculous and juvenile. I was not comparing Indiana to other states size-wise, I was stating a fact - that you should not describe the economics, culture, nor any other demographic in vague Indiana state-wide terms when providing vague criticism or negative personal experiences. North to south the weather and landscape in Indiana are vastly different. Comparing a small single street town to Fort Wayne or Indianapolis is likewise pointless. The people up near NW Indiana compared to those in the SE are likewise different culturally (not vastly different, but inarguably they speak differently and have different cultural norms).

Last edited by belovenow; 11-09-2007 at 06:11 PM..

Old 11-09-2007, 09:56 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,393,724 times
Quote:
Jeesh.
Gosh as much as I hate to say it, with as much negativity you produce, it really doesn't help or contribute anything to anyone actually considering moving here for their own reasons.

Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I won't argue that Indiana wouldn't be my first choice to live either, but I was born here and have grew up here. You just moved here for a job from what I have read of your posts. I've been all over the state. It seems like you've been confined to one area. I'm very sorry your experiences in where you live and work have been bad, but don't assume that just because one area has a bad influence over you that it is the same throughout the state. No matter where you live you will encounter negative people who wish nothing to make others lives miserable, but that is their own problem. You have to take what you want out of life and live it that way. And if you wake up everyday whining because Indiana is lower than mediocre then that is all you will ever get out of it because that is all you are thinking about. But if you actually open your eyes and mind to see what else is here, you will actually find that for the people who are trying and want to be here there is something to offer for everyone. Because they will find what they like and build upon that to make their own happiness. And yes, as cheesy as that sounds it's true.

I may not want to live here, but like I said I have my own personal reasons. Do I think Indiana is that bad of a state? Of course not, because I've been to states that are much worse and have even less to offer. But if someone asks about the state am I going to tell them, "I have had such a HORRIBLE life here and would not recommend moving here!" Because that accomplishes absolutely nothing. And I would feel like a awful if I just smashed and crushed someones hopes and dreams into oblivion because of that.

I'm very sorry to be so blunt, but I really do believe that if you look for some good and try to build upon that without worrying so much about the bitterness around you, you will find that there is more to offer than what you think.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:36 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Methinks Neb needs to relocate ASAP.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
Pulling something out of context to negatively comment on it is ridiculous and juvenile. I was not comparing Indiana to other states size-wise, I was stating a fact - that you should not describe the economics, culture, nor any other demographic in vague Indiana state-wide terms when providing vague criticism or negative personal experiences. North to south the weather and landscape in Indiana are vastly different. Comparing a small single street town to Fort Wayne or Indianapolis is likewise pointless. The people up near NW Indiana compared to those in the SE are likewise different culturally (not vastly different, but inarguably they speak differently and have different cultural norms).
Huh?/??
You made the statement, I was commenting on it.
You said Indiana is a huge state. How is disagreeing with that negative???
Is everything negative or positive, or can you deal with facts? What does "huge" have to do with culture?

Old 11-11-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzou View Post
Gosh as much as I hate to say it, with as much negativity you produce, it really doesn't help or contribute anything to anyone actually considering moving here for their own reasons.

Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I won't argue that Indiana wouldn't be my first choice to live either, but I was born here and have grew up here. You just moved here for a job from what I have read of your posts. I've been all over the state. It seems like you've been confined to one area. I'm very sorry your experiences in where you live and work have been bad, but don't assume that just because one area has a bad influence over you that it is the same throughout the state. No matter where you live you will encounter negative people who wish nothing to make others lives miserable, but that is their own problem. You have to take what you want out of life and live it that way. And if you wake up everyday whining because Indiana is lower than mediocre then that is all you will ever get out of it because that is all you are thinking about. But if you actually open your eyes and mind to see what else is here, you will actually find that for the people who are trying and want to be here there is something to offer for everyone. Because they will find what they like and build upon that to make their own happiness. And yes, as cheesy as that sounds it's true.

I may not want to live here, but like I said I have my own personal reasons. Do I think Indiana is that bad of a state? Of course not, because I've been to states that are much worse and have even less to offer. But if someone asks about the state am I going to tell them, "I have had such a HORRIBLE life here and would not recommend moving here!" Because that accomplishes absolutely nothing. And I would feel like a awful if I just smashed and crushed someones hopes and dreams into oblivion because of that.

I'm very sorry to be so blunt, but I really do believe that if you look for some good and try to build upon that without worrying so much about the bitterness around you, you will find that there is more to offer than what you think.

I've been all over this state.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:20 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
Quote:
Huh?/??
You made the statement, I was commenting on it.
You said Indiana is a huge state. How is disagreeing with that negative???
Is everything negative or positive, or can you deal with facts? What does "huge" have to do with culture?
Well, maybe, for starters, its the connotation/tone that was implied when you replied to mbuszu via your post...
Quote:
Jeesh.
The original point is that Indiana contains much variation within its borders, from the relatively flat, windy, snowy, rolling hills, and glaciated land filled with corn, soybeans, farms, etc. in the northern section with a border of one of the Great Lakes and to the NW a major metro area burb of one of the country's major cities, to a nice sized [yet to some boring ] city in the middle, and then quite hilly, karst-filled, nice streams, and major river on the southern border. Culture, weather, landscape, history, geology, geography, food styles, personalities, etc. are all quite varied, for the most part from north and south [reminding me of my home state, Missouri].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana