Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2011, 09:08 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
The Midwest IS a rural area. Look at it objectively, if you could uproot Chicago, IL and Minnepolis, MN out of the equation; nothing is in the Midwest...it's all rural. But I believe the Midwest problem is its decades or should I say century of long term political corruption, only a few profiting at the expense of the people/region. Corruption is such common place that people think nothing of taking what they want without compassion for others or the states. It's really killing the Midwest and it's really too late now because most people in the US and international knows about this corruption and want nothing to do with it unless they are also corrupt.
Uh, let's see --

Indianapolis
Milwaukee
St. Louis
Cincinnati
Columbus
Cleveland
Detroit
Kansas City (some would argue whether or not it's Midwest)

Not to mention countless other smaller cities like Madison, Grand Rapids, Fort Wayne, Des Moines, etc. Yeah, there's nothing in the Midwest outside of Chicago and the Twin Cities other than farms.

Epic fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 09:45 AM

452 posts, read 310,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingIndiana View Post
Actually, he was reading correctly. You just weren't typing in a way that clearly made your point. You specifically wrote:

"I find it depressing because the things I here I am not interested in.

The people - No thanks (I've lived here 17 years)
Racing - Ewww
Basketball - Yeah, but Pacers are bleh ( Getting better though )
Football - Yeah, nervous about Colts this season though
College Sports - Bball (hate the colleges here), Football (only like ND)"

The way you introduced this list indicated you aren't interested in the following list of things and that these things are found in IN. I understand now your intention may have been different, but that's not the way you wrote it which is why both myself and another person misunderstood you.

As for agriculture, you're saying the south side is the side of town with the farthest distance before you start seeing farms? ("On the south side, you've got a good 5-10 miles before you start really seeing corn fields. All the other sides of Indianapolis, you'll start seeing them integrated with the dense areas") The SE side of town and a small portion of the SW side are the only areas of Indy inside of I-465 where you actually will find groups of fields. Additionally, the areas around I-465 aren't considered densely populated areas. They are considered semi-rural or suburban and are for all practical purposes near the outer edge of the city of Indianapolis.

Outside of the few areas on the south side, I think you would be hard pressed to find any farms within the I-465 loop. You might find 2 or 3 examples of 5-10 acre fields that are undeveloped because they are owned by an adjacent church, school, business, government facility or what-have-you, but I doubt there is anything at all that contains any sort of buildings or equipment that would classify it as an active agricultural area.
Allllllright. The way I introduced the list was in a way that made it say that I don't like those particular things about Indiana. I don't like the sports in Indiana... more specifically the actual teams. So actually, you both read incorrectly.
Are you sure about the SE and SW being the only areas within 465 that have fields? I see fields traveling from Zionsville to Speedway all the time. Alright, now you say that one would be hard pressed to find any farms within the 465 loop.
Okay, so you're telling me that a suburb of any city can't be considered densely populated? That's not right...
Also, 2 or 3 examples of 5-10 acre undeveloped fields is untrue. Just because there may not be buildings or equipment doesn't mean it isn't an active agricultural area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
The narrow-mindedness of some people on this board never ceases to amaze me. Escape317 gripes about agriculture, but I'm sure he enjoys eating. Others gripe about the grit of the steel mills in NW Indiana, but I bet they enjoy their cars.
I "gripe" about the agriculture and it's vast presence in Indiana. I can still live elsewhere and get my food.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:58 AM

26,405 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Uh, let's see --

Indianapolis
Milwaukee
St. Louis
Cincinnati
Columbus
Cleveland
Detroit
Kansas City (some would argue whether or not it's Midwest)

Not to mention countless other smaller cities like Madison, Grand Rapids, Fort Wayne, Des Moines, etc. Yeah, there's nothing in the Midwest outside of Chicago and the Twin Cities other than farms.

Epic fail.
Kansas City, (particularly the Kansas suburbs in JOCO) have less and less in common with the Midwest after each passing year.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape317 View Post

I "gripe" about the agriculture and it's vast presence in Indiana. I can still live elsewhere and get my food.
Agriculture is vastly present throughout the United States, particularly east of the Rockies, whether it be in the form of crops, dairy, ranching, fisheries, or whatever. If you dislike being around agriculture, you're going to be miserable throughout most of the country. You might consider therapy for that.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Kansas City, (particularly the Kansas suburbs in JOCO) have less and less in common with the Midwest after each passing year.
How so?

Old 07-15-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Agriculture is vastly present throughout the United States, particularly east of the Rockies, whether it be in the form of crops, dairy, ranching, fisheries, or whatever. If you dislike being around agriculture, you're going to be miserable throughout most of the country. You might consider therapy for that.
I'm aware of that. But I would like a place where I can get away from the agriculture. Where can you do that in Indiana? You're surrounded by it. Hundreds of miles of fields. It's DEPRESSING. Key word there. That's why I'm here, to explain what I find depressing. I don't need people bashing me and countering my opinions. Not saying that you are, just others have been.
Indiana isn't for me. If it's for you people, good. Fine. I'm getting out of here.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:09 PM

26,405 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
How so?
The economy there, migration patterns, architecture, attitudes, etc are becoming much more entwined with the Sunbelt and areas further to the south and west. Kansas City suburban areas have seen quite a bit of migration from Texas and Colorado and that has definitely led to some changes. In terms of climate, Kansas City has very little in common with the Midwest as it tends to be much warmer overall (hot summers, little snow in winter).

Old 07-15-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I'm aware of that. But I would like a place where I can get away from the agriculture. Where can you do that in Indiana? You're surrounded by it. Hundreds of miles of fields. It's DEPRESSING. Key word there. That's why I'm here, to explain what I find depressing. I don't need people bashing me and countering my opinions. Not saying that you are, just others have been.
Indiana isn't for me. If it's for you people, good. Fine. I'm getting out of here.
Unless you're going to hole yourself up in a major city somewhere and never leave, I don't see how you avoid agriculture. And if being around agriculture causes you to be depressed, then I would suggest that you're going to be miserable in virtually every state in this country.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Unless you're going to hole yourself up in a major city somewhere and never leave, I don't see how you avoid agriculture. And if being around agriculture causes you to be depressed, then I would suggest that you're going to be miserable in virtually every state in this country.
I could do that... or find a city where there's actually some entertainment. I'll avoid agriculture, just wait. I'll come back here in a year and bump this thread on my success.
And your last sentence doesn't make sense to me. Am I the only one that doesn't get it? Why would you suggest me to be miserable. BAD PERSON

Old 07-15-2011, 12:37 PM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
I could do that... or find a city where there's actually some entertainment. I'll avoid agriculture, just wait. I'll come back here in a year and bump this thread on my success.
And your last sentence doesn't make sense to me. Am I the only one that doesn't get it? Why would you suggest me to be miserable. BAD PERSON
He is not encouraging you to be miserable, he is just suggesting that if the presence of agriculture is depressing to you, you may find yourself depressed in many places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana