Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 01:03 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Please, please, please let this be canceled. (What an asinine title, too.)

Regarding the lack of Southern accents despite the show's southern IN location - I think these things go in waves. Remember the days when they'd give characters from Wisconsin *Southern accents* (e.g., guest characters on Married with Children, etc.)?
just like they did with the Brooke Shield's character on The Middle ... they give an authentic southern indiana accent to the skanky white trash ho ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 07:13 AM

35 posts, read 98,727 times
LOL - Not being from IN - I do love the show and never really thought they were making fun of a specific area. It was only after I saw Patricia Heaton on The View when she said they were trying to cover "Middle Class America" and the struggles they are going through (losing jobs, etc). I think they might be trying to hard to make it Hoosier-worthy though at times and not succeeding. But again since I don't live there I probably wouldn't know the difference.
Most of their stuff reminds me of Southern New Jersey when growing up in the 70's. So that is why I enjoy the show.
The accents I don't think are on purpose. That is their real voices as far as I remember. Watched Scrubs for years and the Janitor sounds the same on The Middle.
And the three kids were on The View last week and they sound the same in real life as well.
:-)

Old 03-29-2010, 07:19 AM

Well, if you ever venture to southern Indiana on your way to Granger, stop by a local business and see if these folks have WisCANsin accents. I think it's funny that Patricia Heaton backs up and says it's about Middle America. Just shows how much flak they are getting about southern Indiana. They need to have an episode where the family is all of a sudden in Warsaw or something, then they can have at it with their WisCANsin accents. It doesn't fly down here.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:38 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Love the show. I haven't read everyone's posts yet, but this show is hilarious to us. It's my daughter's life.
My daughter is in her early 40's and has 3 kids in Ohio. Her life is very much like this....The other night on the show, when they parked the mini van, opened the doors, and all the fast food trash came spilling out was so typical, we cracked up. I also liked the episode when it had been so long since they had eaten at the dining room table (fast food) that there was no chair for the littlest kid and nobody had noticed before.
We love the dated furniture and decor..no money to get new and the kids would just ruin it anyway...The daughter, Sue, is hilarious and the lethargic son, so typical. We think the show mirrors real life, for sure.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:54 PM

3 posts, read 22,151 times
Well i live in Indiana.. Greenwood (south of Indianapolis). I don't think this show portrays indiana very well. It's just like when we were in the superbowl. When they show indiana they show the hics and the rednecks from southern indiana or the people from the ghetto.. I mean come on. EVERY city has its rough parts. Indiana is not alone. Look at Chicago, New Orleans, San Francisco. There is not one big city in the country that doesn't have parts that are "rough around the edges".

Old 04-01-2010, 07:28 AM

231 posts, read 701,322 times
Atticus Shaffer (Brick Heck) suffers from Osteogenisis Imperfecta (OI) most commonly known as Brittle Bone Disease. He has had numerous leg fractures through his years and has rods attached to his leg bones to help prevent further fractures and help support him. His noticeable limp is due to the (OI).

Seen Brick the other day on the Bonnie Hunt Show and he seemed very much like his character, except for the last word whispered. Very well spoken and intelligent little boy.

My husband and I find ourselves watching this show more often. It is goofy funny!

Previous post ~ put Jimmy Fallon as a cast member...it's actually Chris Kattan....OOPS!!!

Old 04-02-2010, 07:31 PM

96 posts, read 195,232 times
Wow, I had no idea that the actor that plays Brick had something like that going on! Poor kid!

We enjoy the show. I think they really could have set this show anywhere in the midwest and it would have worked but I always appreciate them tossing in legit Indiana stuff into the show. Like others have said, I wish the writers would do their homework a bit more but that's ok.

Maybe someday they'll do an on-location shoot in Indianapolis. That would make me forgive a few of their past sins.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:14 AM

I think that Brick's character is the best in the show. I wonder who came up with how his character acts?

Old 04-04-2010, 07:04 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
I have not commented on this thread previously. I don't watch it regularly. I did watch it this past week. The writers did get two things right this week. They knew the final four was in Indianapolis. If you're an IU basketball fan you probably noticed the other. The mother's boss was talking about the NCAA final four games, and mentioned the last second shot by Keith Smart. For IU fans that is a moment burned into our brains. (btw-Smart made a similar shot in an early round game. An early NCAA round was played in Indianapolis that year. I was fortunate to be there.)

Old 04-05-2010, 08:16 AM

85 posts, read 238,514 times
I don't think the show is trying to depic hoosiers as a certain type. It is a comedy. Just think if of many other shows of the past. Were all people from Queens NY like Archie Bunker? Don't be bothered by this show, just enjoy its humor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana