Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 05:51 PM

131 posts, read 648,474 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Indianapolis now for nearly five years, and in all that time I have never visited Carmel. I have not visited Carmel because I am merely a working stiff with working class roots and have heard about the NOUVEAU RICHE ATMOSPHERE OF CARMEL. I also recall hearing a story that the Mayor of Carmel tried to have aluminum siding banned in his domain. I regarded that as an act of snobbery and elitism as I grew up in a lower middle class household in Eastern Pennsylvania that was covered with, you guessed it-aluminum siding. Perhaps I do not have all the facts, but I have the impression that people of my class are looked down upon by the upper class residents of Carmel. I would be most interested in hearing from anyone out there who resides in that place. I do not envy others their success, but I have never liked snobbery. Perhaps I am judging the place too harshly, especially since I have never visited. Has that Mayor proposed a ban on cars that are not luxury vehicles? If so, then I would not be permitted to drive thru the place. I didn't mean that, but then again maybe it will be proposed someday? Sorry if I sound skeptical if not cynical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 06:41 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
I thought the vinyl siding ban was chucked out. We considered moving to Carmel, but the way the schools are made us go to Fishers (we have since left and are now in Columbus). Carmel has more of a snooty reputation than the way it really is. Yes, there's money there, new & old. But it's really not that bad.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:50 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,481,166 times
Income tends to attract income. Most (not all) the wealthier subdivisions are around Carmel. Keystone at the Crossing is at the southern edge. Now that said, there are pockets all around Carmel of more moderate homes. However, due to the cost of land because of demand, they tend to cost more than similiar houses on the south side or Avon etc.

I find it disconcerting to drive from one side of Carmel to the other and pass subdivision after subdivision after subdivison of huge houses on small lots many built in former corn fields and all requiring a car. I like 86th Street more for the sidewalks so you can walk or bike safely or the older areas like Meridian Kessler (taxes notwithstanding).

Old 08-18-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I thought the vinyl siding ban was chucked out. We considered moving to Carmel, but the way the schools are made us go to Fishers (we have since left and are now in Columbus). Carmel has more of a snooty reputation than the way it really is. Yes, there's money there, new & old. But it's really not that bad.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
Income tends to attract income. Most (not all) the wealthier subdivisions are around Carmel. Keystone at the Crossing is at the southern edge. Now that said, there are pockets all around Carmel of more moderate homes. However, due to the cost of land because of demand, they tend to cost more than similiar houses on the south side or Avon etc.

I find it disconcerting to drive from one side of Carmel to the other and pass subdivision after subdivision after subdivison of huge houses on small lots many built in former corn fields and all requiring a car. I like 86th Street more for the sidewalks so you can walk or bike safely or the older areas like Meridian Kessler (taxes notwithstanding).
Yes, I have always known that income tends to attract income. I have visited Keystone at the Crossing a few times, but not since I first moved here nearly five years ago . I encountered quite a few individuals with their noses in the air, including some store clerks. Anyway that is as close to Carmel as I have traveled. Carmelcrats turn me off. Thanks for the reply.

Old 08-18-2007, 03:36 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
carmelcrats! That's a new one. I always thought they were called Carmelites. I found that in Fishers and in Carmel, there are some with an annoying "we have arrived" attitude. Those are the people that tend to live in mcmansions with no furniture and are one paycheck away from the poorhouse.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:16 AM

63 posts, read 391,536 times
I currently life in Carmel and love it. I live in the older part (between Keystone and Meridian) Reason why I love it is because I am very close to everything - tons of shopping, tons of grocery stores, tons of everything. Traffic is bad from 3:00 until about 6:00 - but other than that it isn't bad at all. I was looking for a suburb that also had a little bit of an urban feel to it and living right on the Monon is great.

As far as the snobbery thing goes. I don't notice it, so either it isn't where I live, or maybe I feel comfortable around it. Or maybe I'm a snob - I don't think so, but Carmel seems like just a normal middle class area to me

Old 08-19-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:
carmelcrats! That's a new one. I always thought they were called Carmelites. I found that in Fishers and in Carmel, there are some with an annoying "we have arrived" attitude. Those are the people that tend to live in mcmansions with no furniture and are one paycheck away from the poorhouse.
Is that right? I never knew that about some of the Carmelites who live in mcmansions. Thanks for sharing that with me.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1914BU View Post
I currently life in Carmel and love it. I live in the older part (between Keystone and Meridian) Reason why I love it is because I am very close to everything - tons of shopping, tons of grocery stores, tons of everything. Traffic is bad from 3:00 until about 6:00 - but other than that it isn't bad at all. I was looking for a suburb that also had a little bit of an urban feel to it and living right on the Monon is great.

As far as the snobbery thing goes. I don't notice it, so either it isn't where I live, or maybe I feel comfortable around it. Or maybe I'm a snob - I don't think so, but Carmel seems like just a normal middle class area to me
OK, I appreciate your reply and learning of your point of view. And I certainly don't consider you a snob. There are exceptions to every situation. Take it easy.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:07 PM

24 posts, read 119,890 times
Hi domergurl,
what about carmel school? they are not good?

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis