Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 07:57 AM

423 posts, read 1,248,859 times

Advertisements

Wayne Township has huge vacant tracts of land at the intersection of Girls School Road and Crawfordsville Road, and then many many more south of Rockville Road. Granted, the ones south of Rockville Road probably aren't too desirable because of their proximity to the noise of the airport, but that's partially the point: if developing every square foot of Marion County were so desirable, wouldn't they have done it by now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I am pretty sure every township gained population in the 2010 census, except for Center Township.
Man I hope you're right. It sure was losing population in the late 80s and 90s, but maybe it has stabilized since then. There are a lot of good neighborhoods on the east side of town, so it's well due for a comeback.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:24 PM

170 posts, read 326,052 times
These 2011 or 2012 numbers are merely ESTIMATES or GUESSES. The Cneus doesnt know anymore than anyone else. The only population totals that are official and actually count are those from years ending in zero. No one, not even the Census can predict what the population counts will be in 2020. These annual Census estimates should be taken with a grain of salt. The Census is actually a bit biased (I helped take the count in 2010) against the Midwest, Indy in this case, and know what I am talking about. This can be seen when comparing population totals between Indianapolis and Jacksonville. Both are consolidated cities and should be measured the same way, but the Census doesnt do that. They always look at Jacksonvilles total count (821,000) within Duval County and only part of Indys *balance* count (820,000). Bet when its done correctly and comparing apples to apples, Indy(829,718) is just a tad larger than 12th place Jacksonville (821,245). Indy is OFFICIALLY the 11th largest city in the country, not 12th. And Jacksonvilles population is slight overblown, because of the bias. The Census screws up the estimating all the time and did it to Atlanta, Chicago, Phoenix, San Antonio, Austin, etc. before the 2010 count. No one in Indy needs to worry. Although, I believe Austin and Jacksonville will officially overtake Indy by 2020.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:36 PM

The true count of Indianapolis is actually 829,718 (11th largest in the country) when looking at the total consolidated number within Marion County (906,000). The *balance* population of 820,450 is given by omitting the 'included' cities within Unigov that are still somewhat semi-independant and have their own 'town' council. For Indy, this is Clermont, Irvington, Acton, Wanamaker, Meridian Hills, Williams Creek , Crows Nest, North Crows Nest, Homecroft, and parts of the NW side. These areas that are now Indianapolis are almost always ignored by the census. Its been that way since cities started to merging in the 60s. Its the same for Nashville TN, Augusta GA, Lousiville KY and Lexington KY. The real Indianapolis total is found in the World Almanac of 2012.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Seriously, you think the US government has it "out" for Indianapolis and fudges the census numbers? For what purpose?
Yes. They dont like the Midwest and want you to think its dead. Its called POLITICS. Thats why they boost Jacksonville and Austin and downgrade Indy. If you look at the population counts over the past 30 years, theres an obvious bias.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalcedony View Post
The Census doesn't create boundaries for cities--the cities do, through annexation. Jacksonville consolidated its city boundaries with its county the same way Indianapolis did (two years earlier, in fact)--the big difference is that Duval County (J-ville) is more than twice as big as Marion County (Indy). Jacksonville may, at the moment, have a higher population than Indy, but it is not as densely populated as Indianapolis, which is saying something, because Indy is a very low-density city as well. But Jacksonville is huge: nearly as big as the entire state of Rhode Island! The Census doesn't care to "bring down" cities any more than it tries to "boost" others. Honestly, it does a better job than most institutions at being impartial and just reporting the facts...the Census Bureau would suffer big-time politically if it showed reports that suggested that it prefers certain cities over others.

I'm not sure what makes you think Indianapolis is going to be "eaten up" by development--it's just not going to happen. Aside from Franklin and Decatur, Wayne and Warren also have huge swathes of vacant land, and people aren't moving there in droves. In fact, I saw somewhere that Warren township has been losing population for the last 20-30 years. Heck, even Pike Township has big chunks of undeveloped land. People, by and large, aren't moving to Indy when they can choose the suburbs with lower crime, taxes, better schools, etc. We can only hope that good leadership and economic development helps keep it so that people are moving into the city at a greater rate than they are moving out of Center Township. I still prefer the city myself because of the closeness to downtown and the greater diversity (as do many) but, realistically, Indianapolis is not going to fill up in twenty years--not a chance.
You are wrong. Simply put. Every TWP in Marion County, except Center TWP, has been gaining. The city of Indianapolis and Marion County both have grown significantly. I remember when Stop 11 and Emerson Avenue was rural. That is obviously no longer the case. If you look at an Indy map you can easily see the develpment. I dont see how you can miss it. Its even more noticeable in Hamilton County, eastern Hendricks County and Northern/Northwestern Johnson County. Marion Couny will easily be totally urban within the next 15 years, maybe sooner.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:58 PM

Its like this.....people can argue whether or not Indy will be completely eaten by development soon or not. But the fact remains that Indy (829K) and Marion County (906K) hit record high populations at the 2010 Census (so did the state), making Indy the 11th largest US city by city limits population. Based on that fact, I think its probably safe to assume all townships grew, with the exception of Center and Washington. To question Indys further development throughout Marion County is not debatable. When I was growing up in the 80s and 90s, I remember when Franklin TWP and half of Perry TPW was wide open land of corn and soybean fields. This is no longer the case and is obvious everywhere you look. Its even more obvious in Hamilton, Johnsons and Hendricks Counties. Indy is growing and developing a lot, so I dont understand the debate.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:54 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,168,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
not talking metro.
talking CITY limits.
Of course Austins metro is bigger its in the South. Where its holy land according to the people that relocate there. Until a Wild Fire or Big heatwave like this makes them think otherwise.

Also well Indy may have 2, 100 degree days how long is it going to be near or above that in austin?
Seems like your mad because Austin growing? The weather has nothing to do with Austin growth, the fact is Austin didn't get hit as hard during the recession, and at that time Austin unemployment rate was just alittle over 7% now its at 5.5%. Now with 820,000 people living in the city of Austin cost has risin, there's hardly vacancies because of the housing and apartments shortage, our freeways are clogged because our infrastructure can't keep up so high growth isn't always a good thing.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:54 PM

293 posts, read 909,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Newsroom: Population: Texas Dominates List of Fastest-Growing Large Cities Since 2010 Census, Census Bureau Reports

some words of note.
Austin, TX population is OVER estimated. using Austin's population growth and averaging it out for the past 10 years it should of only grown by 17,000 residents. not 34,000 residents. This was the same case for Atlanta a couple of years back. Census gives to generous of numbers in the estimates. not to mention how bad the economy is right now and how little people are moving.
2nd Chicago gaining population? ya right when pigs fly maybe the Census will be right on that. Only when Pigs Fly though. if anything the tax increases has acclerated people's flight out of Chicago and Crook County. Although the housing market crash and economy may just save Chicago's rear for the next 2-3 years. But still inching closer to Detroithood.
Finally its nice to see the census bring down Jacksonville a little bit. Indy is bigger than Jacksonville and its ironic the census will come up with these crazy boundries to boost other cities and bring down others.
Jacksonville isnt even half developed in its consolidated county. Indy only has parts of Franklin and Decatur Township left and that will be eaten up by 2030.
2nd curious to see what the real population of Indianapolis is and not just the *balance*.
I think you might need to lay off the Ripple. Or at least ease up on it!

Old 06-30-2012, 05:04 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,168,216 times
Indianapolis is still growing and happy for them, and to be honest I wish we had your growth. Not only is Austin growing rapidly but also our neighbor to the south San Antonio (2.3 million) and our smaller cities north of Austin. Temple, Killeen, and Waco (650,000). So roughy 5 million people in a 2 1/2 hr drive.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:11 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garxhap View Post
I think you might need to lay off the Ripple. Or at least ease up on it!
He is a teenager from South Bend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis