Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 03:10 PM

583 posts, read 884,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
When people talk about Chicago, they are not really talking about Lake Forest, Cicero or any other suburb, they are talking about the City of Chicago.
When people talk about living in Chicago, they almost never are talking about something inside the city limits. "Chicago" means everything from Kenosha to Michigan City, from the Lake to Aurora. Lake Forest is Chicago. Cicero is Chicago.

The city name is used as a rough guide to distinguish Chicago from Denver and to check your weather on the Weather Channel. A city name almost always means MSA.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:58 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
When people talk about living in Chicago, they almost never are talking about something inside the city limits. "Chicago" means everything from Kenosha to Michigan City, from the Lake to Aurora. Lake Forest is Chicago. Cicero is Chicago.

The city name is used as a rough guide to distinguish Chicago from Denver and to check your weather on the Weather Channel. A city name almost always means MSA.
Have u ever been a resident? No well i have, there's a difference

Old 07-10-2012, 05:22 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,656 times
I have too. And most would agree with the Chicago description for the burbs.

Whether it's Wheeling, Lake Forest or Buffalo Grove, people I know just say Chicago.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:45 PM

324 posts, read 402,708 times
Quote:

First of all, like I stated earlier, MSA's are just as useless as city boundaries because of the difference in sq. miles in the nation's counties. Second of all, Michigan City is part of the CSA, not the MSA. And third of all, people from Kenosha probably identify with Milwaukee more than Chicago. Kenosha and Milwaukee are obviously in the same state, only 30 miles apart. Chicago is 65 miles from Kenosha. This is another example of why MSA's are a useless way to compare city/metro populations.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
I have too. And most would agree with the Chicago description for the burbs.

Whether it's Wheeling, Lake Forest or Buffalo Grove, people I know just say Chicago.
Of course they do. MSAM is grossly unfamiliar with this essential bit of Chicago culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac51 View Post
This is another example of why MSA's are a useless way to compare city/metro populations.
Let it go. That argument doesn't play.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:47 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,105 times
Quote:
Of course they do. MSAM is grossly unfamiliar with this essential bit of Chicago culture.

Let it go. That argument doesn't play.
Of course not, 20 years doesn't account for anything.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Of course not, 20 years doesn't account for anything.
I have a difficult time believing you've ever stayed in a hotel room outside the city limits of Chicago, much less lived there.

It's well known to every Chicagoan that everyone in the municipalities just says "Chicago."

Quote:
Also as I stated earlier in which you agreed with, no one cares about a suburb.
Also, as you were told by someone else in an earlier post, in many places, the distinction of "city" and "suburb" is often meaningless. All the municipalities in an area need to be taken as a whole, and for convenience sake, the name of the most notable municipality becomes the name of the entire area. In many or most cities, a metro area will lose most of its significance and importance if only the name city is examined.

Every time you say that Indy's bigger than Atlanta, Boston or San Francisco you just look like a cheerleader desperately trying to make yourself look more important than you actually are.

And the next time you say "nobody cares about a suburb," take a look at Beverly Hills, Hollywood, LaJolla, Minneapolis, Skokie, Oakbrook, Barrington, Schaumburg, Kenilworth, Tacoma, Mercer Island, Bellevue, Oakland, Berkeley, Palo Alto, Scottsdale, Mesa, Fort Worth, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Ft. Lauderdale, Boca Raton, Buckhead, Marietta, Roswell, Durham, Virginia Beach, Arlington, Alexandria, Silver Springs, Rockville, Wilmington, Newark, Jersey City, Yonkers, White Plains, the Hamptons, you get the idea; start adding your own.

Last edited by GregHenry; 07-11-2012 at 07:39 AM..

Old 07-11-2012, 07:34 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Every time you say that Indy's bigger than Atlanta, Boston or San Francisco you just look like a cheerleader desperately trying to make yourself look more important than you actually are.
It depends on the context. Saying Indianapolis is the 12th biggest city in the county is a fact. We've been over this. There is NOTHING you can do to make it untrue.

I can give you an example of when saying Indianapolis is the 12th biggest city in the country is used in error. On facebook, there are people losing their mind because the "12th biggest city in America can't sell out a Colts game." Well, Indianapolis may be the 12th biggest city in America, but as a media market it ranks in the 30s. using city population in the context of media markets is silly. So is someone getting worked up on an internet forum about Indianapolis even being the 12th biggest city in the USA.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
It depends on the context.
There is no "context." Atlanta's bigger than Indy. End of story.

Try driving through both of them if you're still confused.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:38 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
There is no "context." Atlanta's bigger than Indy. End of story.

Try driving through both of them if you're still confused.
Atlanta's metro is bigger than Indianapolis, more than double in fact. You are correct if that is what you are getting at.

That doesn't change the fact that Indianapolis has a city population bigger than the city of Atlanta. That is a FACT. Whether that is an important fact or not is not the point. I am simply pointing out that it is a FACT. I don't have small penis syndrome, so it doesn't really matter to me whether Indianapolis has a bigger or smaller city pop than ATL or wherever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis