Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 07:44 AM

583 posts, read 884,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Atlanta's metro is bigger than Indianapolis,
No need for surplussage. Just say "Atlanta," like everyone else.

We'll rewrite your sentence using the correct terminology:

"Atlanta's bigger than Indianapolis."

Nobody can argue against that.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:45 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
Do they? My cousins live in Gwinnett County, they never say Atlanta.

Come to think of it, my co-workers in the "Boston" office that is actually not in Boston, never claim Boston. They claim places like Bedford........in fact they correct me every time I call their office the "Boston" office. They are quick to point out that they are in Bedford.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Do they? My cousins live in Gwinnett County, they never say Atlanta.
Must be tough for them to fly home.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:18 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,912,056 times
Quote:

We'll rewrite your sentence using the correct terminology:

"Atlanta's bigger than Indianapolis."

What is your beef with Indianapolis? Seriously, you are beginning to scare me with your obsession.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Must be tough for them to fly home.
.........I guess? There are plenty of flights from Hartsfield to Metro.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:12 AM

261 posts, read 501,096 times
From a national perspective, MSA is all that matters. Atlanta didn't become the business hub of the south because it has 420,000 people in it's randomly drawn city population boundaries. No, it became an important business center because it has a metropolitan area of over 5 million people that functions as one of the largest urban areas in this country.

When I hear someone say "Dallas", I don't think of the "city" whose boundaries confine its population to just 1.2 million people. No, I instead think of the Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex that is home to 6 million people and as a whole functions as one of the largest and most important business centers in the entire country. The Cowboys don't play in the randomly drawn Dallas city limits, yet everyone associates them with Dallas because they represent the metro area.

It's a fact to say that Indianapolis is a larger "city" than Atlanta, just like it's a fact to say that Atlanta has a larger metro. But from a national perspective, only one of those facts maters, and that's the size of the metro. Everyone in the country views Atlanta as being a much larger and important place in Indy because of the simple fact that it has millions of more people in it's area that combine to form a more dynamic place.

Last edited by indy18; 07-11-2012 at 10:21 AM..

Old 07-11-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
What is your beef with Indianapolis? Seriously, you are beginning to scare me with your obsession.
You hate Indianapolis? What? You're obsessed with me? What's going on with you?

If you're going to hate me and get obsessed with me, fine, we'll change the cities so you won't attack me.

"Atlanta's bigger than Jacksonville." That conveys exactly the same point.

Happy now? Will you quit obsessing with me and hating me? Please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy18 View Post
...it's a fact to say that Atlanta has a larger metro. But from a national perspective, only one of those facts maters, and that's the size of the metro. Everyone in the country views Atlanta as being a much larger and important place in Indy because of the simple fact that it has millions of more people in it's area that combine to form a dynamic area. .
Exactly.

Only one fact matters.

Quote:
.........I guess? There are plenty of flights from Hartsfield to Metro.
You're going to have to help me out on this. I'm on the Korean Air site looking at the drop-down, and I can't see "Hartsfield" as a destination. What destination would your parents tell the Korean Air ticket agent at Seoul if they wanted to get back to Gwinnett County?

http://www.koreanair.com/

Last edited by GregHenry; 07-11-2012 at 10:38 AM..

Old 07-11-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
You're going to have to help me out on this. I'm on the Korean Air site looking at the drop-down, and I can't see "Hartsfield" as a destination. What destination would your parents tell the Korean Air ticket agent at Seoul if they wanted to get back to Gwinnett County?

Korean Air
My parents are not alive anymore, I guess the can just float to Korea if they want.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:28 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,871,142 times
Quote:
When people talk about living in Chicago, they almost never are talking about something inside the city limits. "Chicago" means everything from Kenosha to Michigan City, from the Lake to Aurora. Lake Forest is Chicago. Cicero is Chicago.

The city name is used as a rough guide to distinguish Chicago from Denver and to check your weather on the Weather Channel. A city name almost always means MSA.
..Really? ... really???

Ask those people (you've apparently run into?) who are "from" Chicago and watch when they act flabbergasted when you ask them how they could ever send their kids to those terrible schools. They will quickly clarify that they send/sent their kids to a Naperville, Glencoe, or Schaumburg school, etc.

People that live *IN* Chicago takes their lumps with their spoils. The suburbanites try to take the spoils with none of the work or any of the lumps associated with said spoils.

The same holds true for Indianapolis.

People that live in the Circle City can see the ups and downs associated with it, and they personally live with them. People in Indy's suburbs want all the brand/name recognition, entertainment, amenities, etc. associated with the city, but don't want to deal with any of the hardships or challenges that comes with living inside those "arbitrary" boundaries.

For my own amusement, I would love to see you stand on a corner in Bridgeport with a sandwich board that said, "I live in Kenosha, and I am a Chicagoan!!!"

It would be a guaranteed YouTube sensation.

And for weather? At this point in human history, people cannot control where weather does, or does not go. So if the Weather Channel said there was a 100% of rain in Indianapolis today, but there was not a drop in the city, but rather it rained in Greenwood (a suburb of the city), would the citizens of indianapolis "proper" have a legitimate reason to complain about canceling their outdoor plans?

When the Weather Channel gives a forecast for a "city", they are giving a forecast FOR THE CITY, not the suburbs, unless specifically mentioned.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:39 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,871,142 times
Quote:
..."Atlanta's bigger than Indianapolis."

Except for, you know... The Government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis