Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 11:33 AM

1,608 posts, read 2,015,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Damn straight Timmy! Wonderful analysis of my thoughts and beliefs.
Live on in your dream world
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 06:52 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,221 times
I am an IU grad and I can see why a college graduate would want to leave this area. I live down in Bloomington and I just can't make it here. The jobs pay $8-$10 an hour so I can't pay my student loans. I am worried about keeping the lights turned on. I feel like my degree was a waste living here. I was much better off in the Western US and can't wait to leave this area.

I would only recommend Bloomington to people who have mom and dad to support them or for those who don't mind living off welfare because that is the only way to make ends meet here. I can't wait to leave.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:01 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
I am an IU grad and I can see why a college graduate would want to leave this area. I live down in Bloomington and I just can't make it here. The jobs pay $8-$10 an hour so I can't pay my student loans. I am worried about keeping the lights turned on. I feel like my degree was a waste living here. I was much better off in the Western US and can't wait to leave this area.

I would only recommend Bloomington to people who have mom and dad to support them or for those who don't mind living off welfare because that is the only way to make ends meet here. I can't wait to leave.
What was your major?

Old 10-09-2013, 05:55 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
What was your major?
Education, not that it matters because there are no jobs here for anyone with a degree. I have even met a few unemployed nurses and know one person who has two degrees one in healthcare and one in accounting and can not find a job here. You can go into the Walmart here in Bloomington and find people working with degrees from schools like NYU. In my ****ty paying job, I met one lady with three degrees. There are people with masters degrees working in the factory at Cook for $8.50 an hour. I have met them.

Bloomington is a hell hole if you have a degree.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:32 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Education, not that it matters because there are no jobs here for anyone with a degree. I have even met a few unemployed nurses and know one person who has two degrees one in healthcare and one in accounting and can not find a job here. You can go into the Walmart here in Bloomington and find people working with degrees from schools like NYU. In my ****ty paying job, I met one lady with three degrees. There are people with masters degrees working in the factory at Cook for $8.50 an hour. I have met them.

A degree guarantees nothing. You have to offer skills and experiences an employer desires.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:48 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:

There are people who graduated from NYU working at the Wal-Mart in Bloomington? I am disputing your claim; but I would question the intellect of an NYU grad who is sticking around in B-town to work at Wal-Mart. Same with an unemployed nurse. Every nurse I know is working non-stop because of the nursing shortage. Sounds more like people making poor choices than being victims of anything.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:30 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,098,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
There are people who graduated from NYU working at the Wal-Mart in Bloomington? I am disputing your claim; but I would question the intellect of an NYU grad who is sticking around in B-town to work at Wal-Mart. Same with an unemployed nurse. Every nurse I know is working non-stop because of the nursing shortage. Sounds more like people making poor choices than being victims of anything.
My thoughts are the same - university is fairly strait forward - but for those who need a little extra help there are staff employed to hold their hand and show them what to do. So someone with very little ability to make 'good' decisions can quite readily get a degree. It's very possible to be 'intelligent' but not make 'good' decisions - thus having 3 degrees and working at Walmart. Or maybe the Walmart person is the smart one - hoping to climb the ladder... Who knows.

I hope for my sake it's not as bad as you claim (original Education degree person). I've got a Bachelor of Education, Master of Education, and am hoping to finish my Doctor of Education next year while at the same time migrating to USA with view to reside in Carmel or its neighbors... Coming from a country with public health (not looking to skew off into THAT debate) the income levels in USA are particularly significant for me as I am worried that health care can wipe out a fair chunk of a salary - IF I find a good job!

So here's hoping there are good jobs for good people...

Old 10-09-2013, 08:50 PM

797 posts, read 2,338,424 times
Quote:

Bloomington is a hell hole if you have a degree.[/quote]

Seriously. Every single post you make is either about how awful it is in Bloomington and how you can't make it if you have a degree or how bad the job market is in general. I have some bad news. People with teaching degrees are having a hard time finding jobs in most places, not just Bloomington. Honestly though, it should have been extremely obvious before you even moved to Bloomington that the job market would be more saturated there than other places given the thousands of degrees that come out of IU every year compared to the population of the town. Bloomington does not have fewer jobs for people with degrees than any other town of its size. Those jobs are just filled. It's no different if you go to Columbus, OH which has a metro 10 times the size of Bloomington and try to find a job as a pharmacist with Ohio State in town graduating 120 pharmacists every year and 7 other pharmacy schools in the state of Ohio.

Perhaps this looks familiar. Someone posted this not even a month ago:

"Yes, it is tough out there, but staying on the internet and whining isn't going to help. I won't deny that things are not tough.........Stop crying about the rejection letter from that dishwashing job and do something better with your life."

In one breath you're telling someone to stop whining on the internet and do something better with their life and in the next you're complaining about your own ****ty paying job and how hard it is to try to find something better. Sorry to be so harsh, but it's just getting old seeing the same posts from you over and over and over and over and over again.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:34 PM

797 posts, read 2,338,424 times
Since I had a little more time this evening, I thought I would try to make this a little more educational for anyone else out there who has not thought to take the market into account when choosing a career path. This link contains files that show the exact number of degrees IU issued each year as a whole and also at each specific branch (Degree Completion). I'm sure other universities offer similar information. If you are trying to decide what career to enter, especially if you expect to find a job at ground zero for where they are issuing the degrees, consider taking a look at what might be in demand.

For instance, you might look and see that IU Bloomington issued 637 undergraduate degrees in education last year alone. That means in a short 5 year span, somewhere around 3000 new teachers were produced in a city of 80,000 people. That does not include all the more qualified people obtaining masters degrees who will be competing to obtain or KEEP the jobs they already hold within the community. And I would say the number of those graduates moving elsewhere compared to the number of graduates from other universities that would like to move TO Bloomington would cancel each other out. To me, I would look at that before I even went in and know that I may have to move when I graduated to find a job. What I would not do is blame the town for being an attractive community where a high number of the educated people from it's local university choose to stay.

As someone who graduated with a degree in Education and was licensed in the state of Indiana (had a few job offers too), I understand how difficult it can be. With the recession going on it's tough in a lot of other areas as well. The best advice I can give to anyone out there looking for a job is to do your best to educate yourself about what fields are needed, and be realistic by recognizing that any city in the country which is generating mass amounts of people looking for jobs is going to have fewer jobs available at any given point in time.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:40 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
The big key to getting a job after college is to be flexible with your location. And since there is such a high concentration of college educated people in University towns like Bloomington, I can see how hard it would be to get a job once that degree is in your hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis