Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 04:12 PM

2 posts, read 12,526 times

Advertisements

We are a biracial married couple looking to relocate from So Cali to suburbs of Indianapolis because our dreams of owning a large home with lots of property has pulled us to the mid-west. We also have some family here as well as NY and FL, so it kinda makes us centralized to visit family. We love sports which is why we loved all the sports that Indi has. We don't mind the seasonal weather because wife is from NY and husband is from Chicago, we have both lived in the cold as well as the last 20 years in So Cali. Yes, the weather is fantastic here, but the cost of living is unbearable and we will never buy a home out here that we really want. We do not want to settle for a condo which is all we would be able to buy here.

So, my next question is: the right suburb outside of Indi suitable for us. One aunt lives in Avon and says that they are close to the airport which was a plus to them as well as great schools and more house for your money. I'm only looking online at this point as we haven't been there yet and will be able to visit in a few months. We are thinking June of 2007 move. I have looked at homes in Carmel, Avon, Plainfield and see very large affordable homes to buy in Plainfield. I see that the same home in Plainfield is around 60-80K less than in Carmel but Carmel has more businesses. We want to be close enough to drive to sports games, to go into Indi for great food/restaurants and come home to our large home.

Next question is, how is Indi area with bi-racial couples, african american and latino. Bi-racial couples are the norm here in So Cali with no problems at all. We want the same feeling because we are very friendly with everyone no matter what they are.

Would love to hear some advice and thoughts on this and appreciate it as well. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2006, 02:26 PM

76 posts, read 307,437 times
Default Bi-racial Married Couple

Quit fretting about the bi-racial thing. Good people are welcome in Indianapolis, regardless of race.
Land and a large house? The outlying areas would provide for that. With our interstate system here the outlying areas are readily accessable. One big difference I have noticed around here is the "type" of land available. To the north it seems really flat and undistinguished. To the south and southwest there are rolling hills and lots of trees.
I have shied away from the Plainfield / Avon area over the years because of the commute. No, not distance. It's the sun! In the morning the sun is blinding as you drive towards the city. IMO, dangerous. Depending on the time of year, the evening commute is the same.
When is the last time you have experienced a good midwestern thunderstorm? I chuckle at the Californians I have met who are amazed at the amount of lightning and thunder. Most are terrified of tornadoes also. If you can live in an earthquake area, you should be just fine in tornado alley.
Come and enjoy. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Old 12-28-2006, 02:13 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,060,863 times
We lived in Indianapolis for 3 1/2 years. We're also a bi-racial couple with family in Southern California. Indy is not California by any means but you'll enjoy other qualities out there. Both my wife and I enjoyed living in Indy and really like the people there but lets be real, it's not very diverse and I'll go as far as to say it's a bit racist on the southside so don't let the low prices take you to Greenwood, Martinsville or Mooresville areas. You'll get stared at all the time and feel really self concious not to mention all the rebel flags etc you'll see. We lived in Westfield/Carmel area which is a little more expensive but it's really nice, close to shopping areas, close to the Monon trail, Carmel/Zionsville/Indy restaurants and close to sports arenas. I went to several Colts, Pacers and Indians games and it was a blast. It takes about 30-40 minutes to get downtown. Overall, Indianapolis is a great city and you'll love it, just don't expect California and stay on the North/NorthEast/NorthWest or West sides. Check out any of the following areas: Zionsville, Lebanon, Westfield, Carmel, Fishers, Avon, Brownsburg, Lawrence etc... Good luck!

Old 12-29-2006, 06:44 AM

1 posts, read 6,486 times
Default Martinsville...

All I can say is stay away from Martinsville. To say they're a 'bit racist' is a strong understatement. People say it's not really anymore racist than other cities, but I've seen it first hand. I'm from Columbus (Indiana), and when I was in High school (I graduated in 2001), our sports teams had no problem playing other city's teams. Long story short, after a couple racial episodes that happened between our basketball & football teams, the school decided on not playing against Martinsville indefinetely.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseWedge23 View Post
All I can say is stay away from Martinsville. To say they're a 'bit racist' is a strong understatement. People say it's not really anymore racist than other cities, but I've seen it first hand. I'm from Columbus (Indiana), and when I was in High school (I graduated in 2001), our sports teams had no problem playing other city's teams. Long story short, after a couple racial episodes that happened between our basketball & football teams, the school decided on not playing against Martinsville indefinetely.
Yeah, I've heard similar stuff, but I was trying to be nice and not be too negative. I've heard you don't want to be in Martinsville after the sun goes down if you're a minortiy. My neighbors told me that point blank when I lived in Indy. Greenwood is not that different, I"ve had several stupid episodes down there. But please don't judge Indy based on a few stupid people, the people there for the most part are very nice and friendly. Overall, it's a great city, just stay away from the south side.

Old 12-30-2006, 08:22 PM

12 posts, read 53,862 times
Biracial in Indy!! It really depends on your social and economical status. Indy is a great place for middle managers. However, if you wish to earn more than 100k, Indy will become a place of frustation. They all say do not fret the biracial issue but you must be cautious on where you live, work, worship,visit and who you choose to associate with. I have lived in Indy for over a decade and can say that Indy does not give progressive urban dwellers an inviting atmoshpere for growth. Do your on research on the history of the area. Go back to the earlier days and see why the city managers structured the city limits as they did. It is public information.
The people who excel pass medicore income in Indy were born and raised here. Or they fit in well with the those who are migrating inwards. The demographics show diversity but it is concentrated among certain economical classes.
If you choose to live in Indy, I suggest washington township in Marion County. The schools and property home values are excellent. I would avoid the south indy. I would also avoid Greenfield, Plainfield, Danville, Zionsville, Fishers and Mccordsville.
I found that people are more tolerent in Westfield and south Carmel. The Villiages of West Clay is by far the best subdivision.
I lived in Chi (southside) and frequently return to the area. In Chi, people repsect you for who you are. The black folks in Indy are another subject. It is fair to say that I have not met many that respect each other on gp. In fact, most will not speak to you when you have a non-black on your arms.
Indy is great if you choose to live a downlow lifestyle. Fly beneath the radar and stay in your place.
I am out !!

Old 01-02-2007, 06:32 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times
The village at West Clay is a very ritzy place. It's hard to get in there for under a half million.

I'd have to agree though that Washington Twp, overall, for diversity, schools, etc. is a great place. As a Fishers resident, I don't really see any racial tension. Eastern Star Baptist Church has a HUGE church here. There are so many people moving in and out that I think that race isn't an issue.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
The village at West Clay is a very ritzy place. It's hard to get in there for under a half million.

I'd have to agree though that Washington Twp, overall, for diversity, schools, etc. is a great place. As a Fishers resident, I don't really see any racial tension. Eastern Star Baptist Church has a HUGE church here. There are so many people moving in and out that I think that race isn't an issue.
I completely agree. I used to live at 146th and Springmill which is about 5 minutes away from The Village of West Clay, it's very ritzy, you have to spend atleast 300 big ones just to get a condo. There is a pretty good pizza joint there though. Check out Centennial at 146th between Ditch and SpringMill (my old neighborhood), I loved it there, it's more affordable but yet very nice, diverse and convenient, it's 5 minutes away from Clay Terrace which is awesome.

Old 01-02-2007, 01:27 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
I completely agree. I used to live at 146th and Springmill which is about 5 minutes away from The Village of West Clay, it's very ritzy, you have to spend atleast 300 big ones just to get a condo. There is a pretty good pizza joint there though. Check out Centennial at 146th between Ditch and SpringMill (my old neighborhood), I loved it there, it's more affordable but yet very nice, diverse and convenient, it's 5 minutes away from Clay Terrace which is awesome.
Being an ex-Chicagoan ... good pizza is hard to come by in this area. I'll check it out!

Old 01-02-2007, 01:37 PM

Have you been to Some Guy's Pizza? How about Bauzboe's (I may have misspelled it)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis