Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 07:52 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,765,200 times

Advertisements

I am just curious. Who would have the most problems? A white female with a black male in Martinsville or a black female with a white male in downtown Indy?
Shrek, try the Italian restaurant at Meridian School Rd/Stop 11 and 135. It is in the strip center on the northeast corner and I am having a senior moment and cannot remember the name.
For you northsiders eat a shrimp/roma tomato pizza for me an Puccini's Smiling Teeth Pizza. It is along the line of Basbeaus and Some guys. Not NY style but it is good stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 08:03 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,776,138 times
Just the stats:

Races in Martinsville:

White Non-Hispanic (98.0%)
Hispanic (1.0%)
Two or more races (0.6%)

Races in Indianapolis:

White Non-Hispanic (67.5%)
Black (25.5%)
Hispanic (3.9%)
Other race (2.0%)
Two or more races (1.6%)
American Indian (0.7%)

Draw your own conclusions

comparing crime in martinsville vs. crime in Chicago isn't even close, and it's not much better comparing it to Indianapolis, but at least that's a better comparison.

Old 07-07-2007, 03:50 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,071,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
I am just curious. Who would have the most problems? A white female with a black male in Martinsville or a black female with a white male in downtown Indy?
Shrek, try the Italian restaurant at Meridian School Rd/Stop 11 and 135. It is in the strip center on the northeast corner and I am having a senior moment and cannot remember the name.
For you northsiders eat a shrimp/roma tomato pizza for me an Puccini's Smiling Teeth Pizza. It is along the line of Basbeaus and Some guys. Not NY style but it is good stuff.
The white female with the black male would have much much more problems, wait I take that back, the black male with the white female would have the most problems. It's true, whether ya'll want to believe it or not.

Ummm.... not to be rubbing it in or anything but we're going to Puccini's tonight I'll eat some for you. The Italian joint on the southside you're thinking of is Vitto's I think.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:16 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,797,021 times
I don't know nothin bout Indy. Been there a few times with my black wife (I am white) and never had any trouble there or about anywhere in the country for that matter including the south where we live now. However having spent a significant part of my life in Chicago, I can certainly understand your husband's concerns because Chicago is the most racist city in the USA.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:31 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,776,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I don't know nothin bout Indy. Been there a few times with my black wife (I am white) and never had any trouble there or about anywhere in the country for that matter including the south where we live now. However having spent a significant part of my life in Chicago, I can certainly understand your husband's concerns because Chicago is the most racist city in the USA.
It's certainly the most segregated. I was amazed at that when I lived there.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:52 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,765,200 times
Ummm.... not to be rubbing it in or anything but we're going to Puccini's tonight I'll eat some for you. The Italian joint on the southside you're thinking of is Vitto's I think
Vito Provalones! Wonderful Chicken Marsalla. You didn't try the shrimp pizza did you?

Old 07-08-2007, 12:36 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,071,646 times
My wife did and I had a bite, it was very good, she wouldn't share anymore! We love that place. Have you ever been to Mama Corrola's in Broad Ripple, that is also an excellent Italian joint. Is NC living getting any better for you?

Old 07-09-2007, 12:17 PM

246 posts, read 1,058,351 times
Default highliner

Over the last 20 years or so, I have done a lot of work in the Indianapolis area. It is NOT a good place for black people to live-drive-or survive! And that incident in Martinsville is by no means the only violent attack on blacks by whites, nor, in my experience, has the situation improved very much since I started going there. On the other hand, the towns just north of the city seem to be fairly tolerant and fair minded. If you're certain that you want to move to this area, maybe Noblesville or it's neighbors would be a good choice. PS: I'm not going to muddy the waters by declaring my racial ancestry, despite some of the vitriolic PM's that I've received- besides which, I think most of you have already seen me " show my color".

Old 07-14-2007, 03:10 PM

3 posts, read 15,560 times
Red face Move to Noblesville

I am pushing for Noblesville. I can get to the airport in less than an hour and to downtown in about 35 - 45 minutes during rush hour with a toothache. My dentist in in the AUL building. Stay off of 465 and keep with 69 / Binford /Fall Creek and you will have a smooth ride most days. The schools in Noblesville are why we moved. Great school, White River Elementary is just wonderful as is Our Lady of Grace Catholic school and White River Christian school. We have had no problems with crime or noise or traffic and can't even begin to participate in all the wonderful activities for the kids. Summer camps at the local parks run $35 per week per kid, likewise for T-ball and Pee wee football. Ballet is cheap and the living is easy. We have Meijer and Super Wal-Mart as well as Marsh and Kroger. Also, when looking for your house don't forget craig's List and Zillow - Real Estate Valuations, Homes for Sale, Free Real Estate Information you can find great deals on wonderful houses. $225000 will get you a great 4 bedroom with 2.5 baths and lots of extras with large yard with fence etc. check it out and good luck. Hope to see you at the local PTA this fall

Old 09-12-2007, 11:51 PM

9 posts, read 38,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobleman4 View Post
Biracial in Indy!! It really depends on your social and economical status. Indy is a great place for middle managers. However, if you wish to earn more than 100k, Indy will become a place of frustation. They all say do not fret the biracial issue but you must be cautious on where you live, work, worship,visit and who you choose to associate with. I have lived in Indy for over a decade and can say that Indy does not give progressive urban dwellers an inviting atmoshpere for growth. Do your on research on the history of the area. Go back to the earlier days and see why the city managers structured the city limits as they did. It is public information.
The people who excel pass medicore income in Indy were born and raised here. Or they fit in well with the those who are migrating inwards. The demographics show diversity but it is concentrated among certain economical classes.
If you choose to live in Indy, I suggest washington township in Marion County. The schools and property home values are excellent. I would avoid the south indy. I would also avoid Greenfield, Plainfield, Danville, Zionsville, Fishers and Mccordsville.
I found that people are more tolerent in Westfield and south Carmel. The Villiages of West Clay is by far the best subdivision.
I lived in Chi (southside) and frequently return to the area. In Chi, people repsect you for who you are. The black folks in Indy are another subject. It is fair to say that I have not met many that respect each other on gp. In fact, most will not speak to you when you have a non-black on your arms.
Indy is great if you choose to live a downlow lifestyle. Fly beneath the radar and stay in your place.
I am out !!
I completely agree.

As a California native, I can attest to blacks (here in Indianapolis) being less than hospitable toward me (a black female) if I am with my significant other (a non-black male). Although, across the board...on a whole - some of us seem less inclined to "dismiss" a couple made up of a black male and female of another race. (Something to think about for it is true and terribly sexist.) The police would be suspect about a blk. male w/ white female because of prevailing racist stereotype we live w/ in the U.S.A

In some sections of Los Angeles county, dating out of your race is not an issue unless you are being defensive or snooty to begin with.

I am used to being stared at and do not feel anger towards anyone who just can't understand. There is nothing to understand. We are a couple who are law-abiding, intelligent, friendly people. Neither one of us is from Indiana and each of us grew up in artistic, creative households...so there' are very few "hang ups" as to how life should be. Our time here will be short and we will enjoy it while we are here. Otherwise, end of story....and have a great life here!

Last edited by dusty71; 09-13-2007 at 01:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis