Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 08:03 AM

163 posts, read 659,820 times

Advertisements

5-7 years ago Brightwood would have been the choice, 34/Keystone.

The homicide viewer is probably the easiest way as it mirrors overall crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 05:47 AM

369 posts, read 681,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
Look at Lafayette Square and Washington Square and you see what I mean. There seems to be a migration of crime from the downtown to the burbs. You have to wonder if in a few years those "McMansions" built in the housing boom will be Section 8 apartments and people on thsi board will be saying "Stay away from that drug and gang infested Carmel and Greenwood, the only safe place to be is downtown!
The urban neighborhoods are still far from "safe." You are 100% correct on crime spreading to the Marion Co. burbs and the surrounding counties.

For starters, in an effort to solidify Warren Township as a Democrat voting block, Bart Peterson allowed a new half Section 8 Apartment complex to be built just east of Washington Sq. Mall. This pretty much was the last nail in the coffin so to speak..for the east side. All the new retail establishments that have opened in recent years will be closed within 10 years, because that is when their tax breaks expire. This complex is where the kids who burglarized Don's Guns were found, and when the armored truck was robbed, the robbers were running towards the complex.

Carmel and Greenwood won't become ghettos. There are too many more expensive homes that help balance things out. Greenwood already has Section 8 properties, but the crimes seem to be a lot more petty than what we see in the poor black areas in Indy. The McCordsville area is already seeing ghettoization. Living in Buck Creek Township, I get a free weekly paper about our area. In the real estate transfer section, there are plenty of foreclosures going back to Countrywide and other lenders. Those homes are then transferred to the Secretary of HUD. A few weeks later, the Sec'y of HUD then transfers what was a $90-$110K vinyl village to companies called "American Living", "Family Living", "Indy Homes" for $50-$60K. Yea, these homes are being purchased by companies who are turning around and doing the Section 8 stuff. I am not sure of the crime, but I am telling you that we won't put up with that stuff in Hancock County. Unlike Marion Co., you act a fool here in our county, we will lock you up and you _will_ get a bail amount, even for the petty stuff. Hopefully this aspect of our county will cause the trouble makers to flee back into Marion County. A friend who worked for IMPD told me that he was finding a lot of guys from McCordsville/Fortville that he was stopping in the NE side projects who were likely looking for cars to break into. I have advised all my relatives and friends to beef up their home security with strong doors and alarm systems.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:23 AM

10 posts, read 68,619 times
Default East 38th

When I was in grade school in the early 60s we lived in the area you seem to be zeroing in on. Went to school #1 on 36th & Gale. The school's first black kid moved in across the street from us (great kid/friend, by the way), in '64 or '65. Drove through there a couple of years ago to show my in-laws where I grew up. "Roll 'em up!"

Old 04-24-2009, 06:40 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravekid View Post
The urban neighborhoods are still far from "safe."
They are also far from "Detroit South"

Old 04-26-2009, 11:39 AM

141 posts, read 316,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravekid View Post
The urban neighborhoods are still far from "safe." You are 100% correct on crime spreading to the Marion Co. burbs and the surrounding counties.

For starters, in an effort to solidify Warren Township as a Democrat voting block, Bart Peterson allowed a new half Section 8 Apartment complex to be built just east of Washington Sq. Mall.
you mean the ones off washington pointe? by the army navy marines office?

those are section 8???

Old 04-26-2009, 01:57 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,063,792 times
Yes I believe they are ^^

Old 04-27-2009, 07:34 AM

114 posts, read 358,620 times
I would recommend to you this site that someone, somewhere on this forum recommended to me. I think it is the best way to check crime in an area. But I would recommend not to check just the street you are looking to live but also what area it is in. Having said that, here it is:

http://www.indystar.com/data/public_safety/crimestats06.shtml]Crime[/url] in your neighborhood -- 2007

Old 05-01-2009, 11:23 PM

18 posts, read 54,418 times
with all that said, which are the safest????please reply

Old 05-02-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird135 View Post
you mean the ones off washington pointe? by the army navy marines office?

those are section 8???
Yes, part of Bart Peterson's legacy...the final nail in the coffin for the _entire_ east side.

All you have to do is drive through the complex. The retention pond has trash floating in it. There is trash all over the complex as well. The garages on the west side have graffiti, which appears to be gang graffiti, but I can't really tell from the mall parking lot.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desz View Post
with all that said, which are the safest????please reply
Franklin Township is pretty safe if you ask me. In addition, the far: South side, SW side, NW side, North side, and NE side are all pretty decent. You just have to watch out for the Section 8 complexes, they are starting to spread to the complexes that were built in these areas back in the 80s/90s. Looks can be deceiving when it comes to apartment complexes. If the complex takes Section 8 vouchers, they are required, I believe, to display the HUD logo/icon on their entry signs. This is the little house logo. To poor people, it means "come on in!" To decent people, it means "Warning: Stay away."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis