Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 12:14 PM

17 posts, read 50,513 times

Advertisements

You know Pirate you are extremely wise. Thank you for you posts. Thats all I have to say

Old 12-17-2007, 12:40 PM

884 posts, read 1,034,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
The concept of different types of people in the same space doesn't sound insane. Crime and violence are not wanted but sometimse being the only person like one's self doesn't feel great either.
It is insane when people feel diversity is a necessity.

How would black people like it if white people said..."hey, you need more white people in your community because you are all uneducated, uncultured, racist rednecks”?

That is exactly what has been implied in the previous ridiculous posts. (In several different threads I would mention)

Old 12-17-2007, 02:02 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
It is insane when people feel diversity is a necessity.

How would black people like it if white people said..."hey, you need more white people in your community because you are all uneducated, uncultured, racist rednecks”?

That is exactly what has been implied in the previous ridiculous posts. (In several different threads I would mention)
Let's set some things straight. You prefer that diversity shouldn't be forced on anyone and I don't think it should be either. I, however, don't think diversity is a bad thing. What I was trying to say is that a person should be able to go anywhere and be accepted regardless of demographics of that area. If a minority wants to come to Iowa, he or she should be able to without feeling strange or being gawked at.
Personally, I think some persons see certain places with a certain quality of life that is rare and want to be in those places, but are put off by the fact that they might be the "only minority" there and that is why many people look for areas that are diverse. Many persons don't want to feel gawked at or be the only one.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Let's set some things straight. You prefer that diversity shouldn't be forced on anyone and I don't think it should be either. I, however, don't think diversity is a bad thing. What I was trying to say is that a person should be able to go anywhere and be accepted regardless of demographics of that area. If a minority wants to come to Iowa, he or she should be able to without feeling strange or being gawked at.
Personally, I think some persons see certain places with a certain quality of life that is rare and want to be in those places, but are put off by the fact that they might be the "only minority" there and that is why many people look for areas that are diverse. Many persons don't want to feel gawked at or be the only one.
PIRATE!! Ok, we agree!!! Everything you just said I do not have a problem with.

Just remember though, acceptance is a two way road. So far, I have only seen a one lane road. There is absolutely zero tolerance in Omaha's black and hispanic communities for whites. Maybe that is just Omaha idk.

As far as not feeling strange or being gawked at, that is not possible. I think young people in general (every race) are ignorant and will stare even out of simple curiosity.

I mean that would be ignorant; lack of experience, knowledge and understanding.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:58 PM

166 posts, read 615,048 times
Quote:
I think if you would gather some information and put percentages to Black versus white youth it would not back your claims.
Why? Go to any major metro and walk down the street. Black and white youth dress the same, speak the same, act the same. What makes you so special, anyway? You're a bigot for crying out loud - great contribution to society!

Old 12-17-2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Iowa View Post
Why? Go to any major metro and walk down the street. Black and white youth dress the same, speak the same, act the same. What makes you so special, anyway? You're a bigot for crying out loud - great contribution to society!
I said put some numbers to it if you feel you need to make a valid point.
Otherwise your contributions to this thread are completely arbitrary.

You know exactly what I'm talking about.

I suppose the ridiculous percentages of minority in our prisons are a fluke?
Maybe just profiling?

Yeah you are right, it must be racist whitey.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:39 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,261,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Iowa View Post
What makes you so special, anyway? You're a bigot for crying out loud - great contribution to society!

I'll take this one.

What makes Steve, myself and others like us (probably you as well) special? Our culture. Our White European culture is special and worth preserving.

We've landed on the moon, sailed to every point on this globe, invented virtually everything, written some of the most beautiful music and poetry, created some of the most beautiful art, built some of the greatest cities, wrote the greatest literature, pulled off engineering marvels, produced the wisest men and strongest men in the world and many other things. I could go on and on about great white people and great white achievements. We're a special and unique people and we deserve the right to be ourselves.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
I'll take this one.

What makes Steve, myself and others like us (probably you as well) special? Our culture. Our White European culture is special and worth preserving.

We've landed on the moon, sailed to every point on this globe, invented virtually everything, written some of the most beautiful music and poetry, created some of the most beautiful art, built some of the greatest cities, wrote the greatest literature, pulled off engineering marvels, produced the wisest men and strongest men in the world and many other things. I could go on and on about great white people and great white achievements. We're a special and unique people and we deserve the right to be ourselves.

Really? Al-Khwarizmi from Persia is the inventor of modern algebra.
Bi Sheng(China) came up with movable type before Gutenberg did.
Elijah McCoy(Black Canadian) Displacement lubricator(for the trains of that day)
Otis Boykin(Black American) inventor of control unit for the pacemaker, which helps keep a regular heartbeat.
Garrett A. Morgan(Black American) the inventor of the traffic lights and the gas mask.

Europeans did sail around the world and invent stuff. I will give you that. With that said, they aren't the only ones nor are they the only ones to write beautiful poetry and novels. Do some more research.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Really? Al-Khwarizmi from Persia is the inventor of modern algebra.
Bi Sheng(China) came up with movable type before Gutenberg did.
Elijah McCoy(Black Canadian) Displacement lubricator(for the trains of that day)
Otis Boykin(Black American) inventor of control unit for the pacemaker, which helps keep a regular heartbeat.
Garrett A. Morgan(Black American) the inventor of the traffic lights and the gas mask.

Europeans did sail around the world and invent stuff. I will give you that. With that said, they aren't the only ones nor are they the only ones to write beautiful poetry and novels. Do some more research.
I don't think Rhino was implying that other races made little or no contributions to society. He was however pointing out your life as you know was brought by the many modern industrial revolutions spearheaded by European decendants.

He was simply saying he is very proud of that part of his and our heritage and it is WORTH PRESERVING!

Ever heard the phrase "Don't fix something if it's not broke"?
I really don't view our European culture as being flawed or broken.
In fact, I take insult to people who think that way.

People who think that way are simply feel good liberals seeking validation from minorities on these issues because its all too obvious minorities do not accept white people in their culture.

So why should we be expected to?

Old 12-18-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I don't think Rhino was implying that other races made little or no contributions to society. He was however pointing out your life as you know was brought by the many modern industrial revolutions spearheaded by European decendants.

He was simply saying he is very proud of that part of his and our heritage and it is WORTH PRESERVING!

Ever heard the phrase "Don't fix something if it's not broke"?
I really don't view our European culture as being flawed or broken.
In fact, I take insult to people who think that way.

People who think that way are simply feel good liberals seeking validation from minorities on these issues because its all too obvious minorities do not accept white people in their culture.

So why should we be expected to?
Not all minority exclude minorities from their culture. Many do, but not all. I would gladly go to events celebrating European culture(I've only been to The Greek Festival in Atlanta though.). Problems go both ways. There are many minorities who don't accept whites or European culture and there are many whites who don't what minorities around or their cultures either. I found in my 21 years of living that this goes both ways. Perhaps through your experience you might see things a little differently. I'm just going off of my own experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa