U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-08-2010, 08:00 PM
 
Location: NZ Wellington
2,782 posts, read 3,738,472 times
Reputation: 591

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrill View Post
wow your obviously either never going to admit your wrong or your completely ignoring what im saying. ive already stated, but ill say it again... which this repetiveness is another reason why i dont know why im still replying to your post, it was a description. if someone were to say "until, when he reached the setting of the sun, he found it set into the ocean" or someone saying "until he reached the end of the world" these are not literal meanings. they are descriptions. can someone really reach the end of the world, no, its just a description of emotion, did the narrator really say the sun literally say the sun set into a spring of murky water? no thats just where he saw the sun setting at that point in time. if he would have been next to the beach he may have said "into the ocean" if he be in the desert, he may have said "into the sand" but really, if you just cant admit your wrong, because you still havent admitting your misunderstanding of the whole wine deal eanassir got you on. your just in denial.... now it all makes sense.

and as for your question of who made allah... ive already explained that

"as far as your question as to the existence of what came before allah no one knows. but it is not relevant to the peaceful way of life. just like god did not reveal to us many things that have happened in the past. there are things we just dont need to know. if you were to have your question answered as to where god came from then the question would be never ending. then where did that come from and where did THAT come from and where did THAT come from... it would be never ending. all that is needed to know is that god created us and here we are. who cares what came before allah, everything has to have a beginning and an end in this world. im not saying god was created by a higher being than he, i dont know. maybe allah is the beginning, as per the bible says "i am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end". its unrelevant and unecessary ro know what and if there was something before the god that created all we know in existence. it would serve no purpose, however everything in the quran that is revealed from allah serves a purpose. the lifestyle of the prophet was shown for a reason, everything he did he did had wisdom behind it and the quran has wisdom within its verses."
If you have been reading my post, I've admitted when I was wrong, so claiming that I am as stubborn as you are (ignoring any post that conflict you beliefs) just goes to show that you know your dogmatic beliefs are silly.

Where is the foot note saying this part is not ment to be taken literally.. there is none. YOU are picking and choosing what fits into reality, you ignore all the errors everyone here has pointed out to you.

I've read the quran, I know there are some historical, and factual evidence, when describing the universe. But if you want to claim that means that the rest of the book is true, then so must be the LOTR.


The verse clearly says that the sun set in a muddy spring, you think the guy who was talking to the creator of the universe for his entire life, would have corrected him..

EXACTLY - NO ONE KNOWS.

But you are leaving out that fact that no one knows where the universe came from.

By your logic I can claim the christian god, created allah, and the jewish god created the christian god, and the pagan gods created the jewish god etc etc etc..

There is no end when anyone can make up an UNKNOWN source that can not be falsified..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2010, 12:18 PM
 
5,107 posts, read 8,088,056 times
Reputation: 3074
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrill View Post
my fault i was mixing two readings in one. i did see that same one that your talking about but im not sure just how legit it was so then i used this one instead

Nearly 1 in 4 people worldwide is Muslim, report says - CNN.com

i figured the other one looked like a personal web page but cnn would be more legit. which says one in four people as of 2009 is mulsim. i also read somewhere that at the rate of expansion of islam that by 2050 1 in every 3 people will be muslim. humdallah...

sorry about the miscommunication though, i didnt mean to confuse anyone.

To be fair, I'm not sure how accurate CNN's figures are. I don't think I'd rely solely on their estimate as being the final word on the subject though. There are other news reports that have made the same statement you point out, but again, it's hard to say what the source of those reports are, as well as how accurate they are. Don't get me wrong, Islam is indeed a very large and fast growing religion, but it still likely ranks 2nd to Christianity in terms of the global population of around 6.8 billion people. Sometimes, figures can be inflated to produce a more favorable claim whether in regard to Islam or Christianity. It depends on who's making the claims. I'll stick with the generally accepted stats over news reports on socialized trends made by CNN, Fox News, etc. The news media is fine for current events, but describing ranking numbers of major religions falls into the category of opinions, and depends on how reliable (or not) the source on information is.

As for the estimate that 1 in 3 people will be muslim by the year 2050; that's 40 years off in the future and is therefore impossible to accurately predetermine at the present time. A lot of things can unexpectedly change over a 40-year span of time. While Islam shows rapid growth at the present time, it could just as easily slow down within the next 40 years, or even decline. As I said, it's hard to accurately predict what will result in the future.

Below are a few links that agree with the view that Islam still ranks 2nd. I've left out links to religious websites which tend to be more biased in their views.



Here's an extensive list including notes and references. Last update July 9, 2010.
List of religious populations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No stats, but a color-coded map showing predominate religions around the world.
World Religion Map

Another Wiki list showing growth trends of major religions. According to this, Islam is probably the fastest in growth, but it still falls behind Christianity in total numbers.
Major religious groups - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another list of stats. Scroll down slightly to "Theology: Major World Religions defined by Population".
Theology: Major World Religions, Statistics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2010, 01:42 PM
 
397 posts, read 535,595 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
To be fair, I'm not sure how accurate CNN's figures are. I don't think I'd rely solely on their estimate as being the final word on the subject though. There are other news reports that have made the same statement you point out, but again, it's hard to say what the source of those reports are, as well as how accurate they are. Don't get me wrong, Islam is indeed a very large and fast growing religion, but it still likely ranks 2nd to Christianity in terms of the global population of around 6.8 billion people. Sometimes, figures can be inflated to produce a more favorable claim whether in regard to Islam or Christianity. It depends on who's making the claims. I'll stick with the generally accepted stats over news reports on socialized trends made by CNN, Fox News, etc. The news media is fine for current events, but describing ranking numbers of major religions falls into the category of opinions, and depends on how reliable (or not) the source on information is.

As for the estimate that 1 in 3 people will be muslim by the year 2050; that's 40 years off in the future and is therefore impossible to accurately predetermine at the present time. A lot of things can unexpectedly change over a 40-year span of time. While Islam shows rapid growth at the present time, it could just as easily slow down within the next 40 years, or even decline. As I said, it's hard to accurately predict what will result in the future.

Below are a few links that agree with the view that Islam still ranks 2nd. I've left out links to religious websites which tend to be more biased in their views.



Here's an extensive list including notes and references. Last update July 9, 2010.
List of religious populations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No stats, but a color-coded map showing predominate religions around the world.
World Religion Map
http://www.city-data.com/forum/newre...ply&p=14967432
Another Wiki list showing growth trends of major religions. According to this, Islam is probably the fastest in growth, but it still falls behind Christianity in total numbers.
Major religious groups - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another list of stats. Scroll down slightly to "Theology: Major World Religions defined by Population".
Theology: Major World Religions, Statistics
nice post! it is true that currently islam ranks 2nd no doubt. and it is true that many things can change and things may factor in the 2050 prediction. if the rate stays the same is what it was aiming toward as far as i can recall. but yes i agree 10% the media sometimes just says things and some things may not be true. i mean, look at the way muslims are interpreted on the media, apparently we're all terrorist... *sigh*... so yes, i agree and thats completely understandable.

List of religious populations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i was really fascinated by that link the most. it is amazing though, just my opinion, that like i said before, islam is 2nd largest, agreed, atheism is third but atheism/agnosticism has been around since the beginning of time almost, in a way, but judaism is not even on the top 5 and thats been around longer than christianity and christianity has been "in the game" much longer than islam. its amazing to me however that islam, only being around 1400 years has grown to be the 2nd largest. in the little amount of time that it had to grow. these are just my opinions though and thoughts. they cant really be proven but more so something to think about i guess. again though, i appreciate the post. and the non-hostility too much of that goes on in the religious forum especially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2010, 12:16 AM
 
Location: NZ Wellington
2,782 posts, read 3,738,472 times
Reputation: 591
I see you are talking the "ignore difficult post" position..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2010, 05:01 PM
 
397 posts, read 535,595 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
I see you are talking the "ignore ignorant people" position..
exactly, i am choosing to ignore people who are just here to argue and ignore facts. what i say makes sense, and you dont like that idea because you would be wrong. and honestly like ive said a million times before. your close minded, in a sense that no matter what anyone tells you, even if god himself told u that u were wrong, youd still think your right. so whats the point in talking to ignorant people. id rather ignore it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2010, 05:09 PM
 
397 posts, read 535,595 times
Reputation: 54
By your logic I can claim the christian god, created allah, and the jewish god created the christian god, and the pagan gods created the jewish god etc etc etc..

There is no end when anyone can make up an UNKNOWN source that can not be falsified..[/quote]

make up an unknown source, kinda like, "the christian god, created allah, and the jewish god created the christian god, and the pagan gods created the jewish god etc etc etc.."

you just made one up right there. you can claim all you want but you have no proof of this which separates my mindset from yours. you think you know everything, i dont. i dont know about in depth science, i dont know about genome map, but i could care less because i really dont need to know any of that to live a peaceful life. i just need what god sent down for his people. but you can claim whatever you want, say that im wrong and your right as many times as you want. do it till your blue in the face. whatever makes you feel better but the fact remains, there is no changing your mind, its set. you ignore what other say because you've "got it all figured out" cool, i wish the best for you but from here on out, im sorry to say id be wasting my time if i reply to anymore of your post. this thread has gone too far off topic to even save. its what happens when you and others like you, dont want to ask questions, dont want to debate, but rather just argue, beat your chest and say "im right and your wrong"... ok. it was nice talking with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2010, 02:39 AM
 
Location: NZ Wellington
2,782 posts, read 3,738,472 times
Reputation: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrill View Post
exactly, i am choosing to ignore people who are just here to argue and ignore facts. what i say makes sense, and you dont like that idea because you would be wrong. and honestly like ive said a million times before. your close minded, in a sense that no matter what anyone tells you, even if god himself told u that u were wrong, youd still think your right. so whats the point in talking to ignorant people. id rather ignore it.
If you're not here to debate, they why are you here? What facts have I've ignored? You are ignoring error after error in your holy book.. why is that?
I've always found it weird that people, especially the religious, will project exactly what they are doing, on myself and then claim it as moral wrong. It shows that somewhere deep down, you know you're acting like a child.

Again, projecting your own closed mindness on me. I am demanding empirical evidence, and debunking your silly claims with KNOWN facts.
Here is a little video that might help you understand what an open mind really is.

YouTube - Open-mindedness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrill View Post
you just made one up right there. you can claim all you want but you have no proof of this which separates my mindset from yours. you think you know everything, i dont. i dont know about in depth science, i dont know about genome map, but i could care less because i really dont need to know any of that to live a peaceful life. i just need what god sent down for his people. but you can claim whatever you want, say that im wrong and your right as many times as you want. do it till your blue in the face. whatever makes you feel better but the fact remains, there is no changing your mind, its set. you ignore what other say because you've "got it all figured out" cool, i wish the best for you but from here on out, im sorry to say id be wasting my time if i reply to anymore of your post. this thread has gone too far off topic to even save. its what happens when you and others like you, dont want to ask questions, dont want to debate, but rather just argue, beat your chest and say "im right and your wrong"... ok. it was nice talking with you.
Strange how you are the one telling me what I am thinking..

I am not arrogant enough to proclaim I know EVERYTHING.. you know.. like you do, by claiming "god dunit". You know the answer to everything don't you.. "god dunit" answers all your questions! How did the universe begin, god dunit, how did life begin, god dunit, how do viruses mutate and kill millions of people god dunit, who created the computer - god dunit, how did the moon end up in orbit - god dunit, why did my granddad die - god dunit..

STOP PROJECTING
. I am not lowering myself to your standards. Stop pretending that I am.




You clam that allah created us from water, but we know we are not made up of water, there are many more compounds and elements in our bodies.

Maybe if you hear it from someone else, it might penetrate the wall of dogma you have be laying in your mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
But clay, blood, mud, etc., are not made of water. They contain water in lesser or greater amounts, but that (as revelations go) has got to be one of the biggest "duh" moments in all of human history. Little children know that. Idiots and cretins known that.

And dust? Well that contains no water at all.

So again... why do you insist that it takes a miracle for Muslims to discover something that everybody else (including pagans and atheists) already knew for over a thousand years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top