Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 02:16 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
In my opinion Muslims have raised the hadith to the same level as the Qur'an. They blindly follow hadith.

Using it as a source on prayer is fine. but it is still an innovation.

You have said many times here that what muslims are required to follow are the 5 pillars. Hadith are not part of the 5 pillars. Muslims are not required to follow hadith.

The hadith may be a source of understanding but they should never take the place of Qur'an.

Islam needs to have Imams who are scholarly and knowledgeable about the faith. Who understand that you need to have a leader. You say Islam has no leaders but I beg to disagree.

Imam Magid the Imam of Adams Center near me is a very knowledgable Imam who leads a very large mosque filled with Sunni, and Shia worshipping together. He has a relationship with the rabbi of my synagogue and we give them pray space for their Friday prayers so those who live in my town don't have to drive all the way to the larger musjid.

He came a few Saturdays ago to our weekly Torah group so both the Rabbi and Imam could speak about Halacha and Sharia.

He is a leader of that mosque. This is what Islam needs.
Yes good local leaders are a great benefit. But what we do not have is a central leadership. I do not see that happening until the coming of the Mehdi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
But are there no Muslim immigrants in the USA? Do they not factor signifcantly in how Islam exists in the West?
The immigrant Muslims into the USA tend to stick more in small ethnic communities. You will find the Mosques being dominated by ethnic groups. American born Muslims in Mosques comprised mostly of American Born. Arab in predominately Arab mosques, Iranians in predominately Iranian mosques etc. Something new I have seen in Texas are predominately Hispanic Mosques, in Austin, San Antonio and Dallas.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:06 AM

82 posts, read 167,591 times
Terrorism is haram and so is suicide. Yet today we see some who have deviated away from the Quran and sunnah [ the way of the prophet Muhammad ] and have their own opinions and fatwas
on matters of religion. For these reasons sects have appeared and they all have their political
agenda. Some of the leaders, imams, or even scholars have even given extreme views and false
ideals of the Quran, hadiths, and sunnah of the prophet [P.B.U.H. ] so to justify their movement
or organization.

The prophet warned us that one of the signs of the last days will be that many sects will appear.
Each sect is a deviant away from the sunnah in some matters of religion. Each one will claim they are on the minhaj but there extreme views ,deeds, and actions prove otherwise.

The main thing the Muslims need today are sensitive imams, leaders and scholars to be visionary
to deal with the issues that confront our peple today. It's nice to here flowery speeches about
things that happened fouteen centuries ago, but how do you relate in the world today. There are
things today that people including Muslims that Moses, Jesus, and Muhammad didn't have to deal
with. There were know AIDS issues then but we have it know. How do we deal with abuse ,racism
crime, homosexuality, teenage pregnancy, global greed and warming?

Some imams or leaders lectures are no more than to hate on people, Jews, or even some other
Muslims themselves, in particular the salafi/wahabi groups. They have few practical solutions as
to deal with the world we live in today but would rather return to the ways of the prophet in the
7th century. This is fine in terms of the way how the prophet and his companions did it. But these
groups today do it out of anger, force, and little tolerance. The prophet did things out of tolerance
but do these people do it that way today? Furthermore the Qu'ran is a book for all generations of
time. It's has practical solutions for any time. It's not a book stuck in the 7th century.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamalc View Post
Terrorism is haram and so is suicide. Yet today we see some who have deviated away from the Quran and sunnah [ the way of the prophet Muhammad ] and have their own opinions and fatwas
on matters of religion. For these reasons sects have appeared and they all have their political
agenda. Some of the leaders, imams, or even scholars have even given extreme views and false
ideals of the Quran, hadiths, and sunnah of the prophet [P.B.U.H. ] so to justify their movement
or organization.

The prophet warned us that one of the signs of the last days will be that many sects will appear.
Each sect is a deviant away from the sunnah in some matters of religion. Each one will claim they are on the minhaj but there extreme views ,deeds, and actions prove otherwise.

The main thing the Muslims need today are sensitive imams, leaders and scholars to be visionary
to deal with the issues that confront our peple today. It's nice to here flowery speeches about
things that happened fouteen centuries ago, but how do you relate in the world today. There are
things today that people including Muslims that Moses, Jesus, and Muhammad didn't have to deal
with. There were know AIDS issues then but we have it know. How do we deal with abuse ,racism
crime, homosexuality, teenage pregnancy, global greed and warming?

Some imams or leaders lectures are no more than to hate on people, Jews, or even some other
Muslims themselves, in particular the salafi/wahabi groups. They have few practical solutions as
to deal with the world we live in today but would rather return to the ways of the prophet in the
7th century. This is fine in terms of the way how the prophet and his companions did it. But these
groups today do it out of anger, force, and little tolerance. The prophet did things out of tolerance
but do these people do it that way today? Furthermore the Qu'ran is a book for all generations of
time. It's has practical solutions for any time. It's not a book stuck in the 7th century.
As-Salaamu Alaikum,

Your words are true. I agree fully. The bad part is we do have more deviants today than Islam has ever faced in the past and too many of our Brother's and sister are falling victims to their Misguidance.

But, the good part is we also have some great sunnah following Scholars, Imams and Mullahs becoming more visible and making use of the internet to reach more with what Islam is and not what some deviants are trying to make Islam become.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:12 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
There are to many who disagree with you and kill innocents and think they are headed to paradise.
Perhaps you can point to a religion were that isn't the case?

(funny how I'm always reading comments about Muslims not condemning terrorism so when a Muslim does the comments imply that such an admission still isn't enough)

Old 12-28-2011, 01:20 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,840,083 times
WHich religion is for dying in a hospital over the tragic hit at the local supermarket?

Old 12-28-2011, 09:01 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,043,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Perhaps you can point to a religion were that isn't the case?

(funny how I'm always reading comments about Muslims not condemning terrorism so when a Muslim does the comments imply that such an admission still isn't enough)

I don't think I did that.

I said this

It does not matter how you see the ayats and that you see Islam as a religion of peace that does not allow the killing of innocents.

There are to many who disagree with you and kill innocents and think they are headed to paradise.

Islam may one day be peaceful but it is not at this time in history.

To many Muslims kill for islam. How Zeinab sees the ayat she posted does not change how countless others see them and act on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam