Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 01:18 PM

20 posts, read 22,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Islam found me. I had been agnostic/atheist for over 20 years after leaving Christianity. I never had any intention of accepting Islam. At one time in my life I was an Evangelist traveling throughout North Africa and the Mideast bringing Muslims to Christianity. An era I am now ashamed of.

But. like I said Islam eventually found me, long after I had any contact with any Muslims and had not even spoken to one in over 20 years.
How did it find you?

Did "allah" call you?

What made you leave Christianity, converting to Islam now?

You see Muhammed better than Jesus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 01:23 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenceDad View Post
How did it find you?

Did "allah" call you?

What made you leave Christianity, converting to Islam now?

You see Muhammed better than Jesus?
You can read my life history "A Long Journey To Reach Home"

Old 12-19-2011, 10:11 PM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Default Why do Muslims worship Muhammed?!

They don't worship Him but they admire Him because of anachronistic cultural values and superstition.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
They don't worship Him but they admire Him because of anachronistic cultural values and superstition.
It is quite difficult if not impossible to define a specific Muslim culture. Muhammad(PBUH) was Arab, very few Muslims follow Arab culture. Muslims most often live in accordance with the culture of the Nation they were born in. Roughly Half, actually over half of the world's Muslims live in 10 Countries. Those being.

• Indonesia 202,867,000 (88.2%)
  • Pakistan 174,082,000 (96.3%)
  • India 160,945,000 (13.4%)
  • Bangladesh 145,312,000 (89.6%)
  • Egypt 78,513,000 (94.6%)
  • Nigeria 78,056,000 (50.4%)
  • Iran 73,777,000 (99.4%)
  • Turkey 73,619,000 (98.0%)
  • Algeria 34,199,000 (98.0 %)
  • Morocco 31,993,000 (99.0%
. Egypt is the only one of the Nations that speaks Standard Arabic as their National language and have an Arab culture, Algeria and Morocco speak Darija, a dialect of Arabic based on Arabic, Berber, French and Spanish and not understood in the Arab world The culture is Berber. The rest speak languages unrelated to Arabic and the Culture is quite different from Arab culture. Pakistan, Bangladesh and India have a very decidedly Indian culture in terms of language, dress, food, native superstitions and tribal ways. The rest have cultures very specific for their nation

Old 12-20-2011, 10:12 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,239 times
Quote:
All of my friends were "Fire and Brimstone" Christians. I was living smack in the center of the Bible belt and had not so much as seen a Muslim in over 20 years. I was unaware of any Muslims in Texas.

So if I was brainwashed, I was brainwashed by Christians.
If I were still a Christian and had to deal with that brand of Christianity all the time, I'd probably jump ship too.

But seriously, you're a great poster here. Keep up the good work.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
If I were still a Christian and had to deal with that brand of Christianity all the time, I'd probably jump ship too.

But seriously, you're a great poster here. Keep up the good work.
At that time I was Agnostic with occasional side trips over to Atheism. i had left Christianity a number of years earlier. But I followed the Principles of Buddhism as a way of life and called myself a Buddhist. The small town Texas fundies had a field day with me

Needless to say it was one of the reasons I easily agreed to move in with my daughter in Austin after I accepted Islam.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:23 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,239 times
Quote:
At that time I was Agnostic with occasional side trips over to Atheism. i had left Christianity a number of years earlier. But I followed the Principles of Buddhism as a way of life and called myself a Buddhist. The small town Texas fundies had a field day with me

Needless to say it was one of the reasons I easily agreed to move in with my daughter in Austin after I accepted Islam.
I'm curious - did the small town fundies have more of a field day with Woodrow LI, Buddhist, or Woodrow LI, Muslim? Or was it mostly just the same sort of behavior?

My impression would be that Muslims would have the harder go at it, what with the unfortunate associations with unsavory elements in the religion.

And I'm glad to hear that you had reconciled with your daughter after the initial falling out! And I'm sure Austin was a much happier situation (as any big city would be).

Old 12-20-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
I'm curious - did the small town fundies have more of a field day with Woodrow LI, Buddhist, or Woodrow LI, Muslim? Or was it mostly just the same sort of behavior?

My impression would be that Muslims would have the harder go at it, what with the unfortunate associations with unsavory elements in the religion.

And I'm glad to hear that you had reconciled with your daughter after the initial falling out! And I'm sure Austin was a much happier situation (as any big city would be).
Actually I caught the most flack while being an Agnostic/Buddhist. After accepting Islam the fundies felt that at least I started believing in God again.

Austin was nice and I enjoyed being with family. but I am not a city person and am once again out in the middle of nowhere. My new wife is Native American so we spend most of the time among the Lakotah. they show no prejudice towards people who believe different from them. I have ad a lot of trouble with a few of the Wasicu (White Christians) and have been told in uncertain terms that included death threats that Muslims are not welcome in North Dakota. But to be fair that is from just a very small minority of the Christians and 99.9% of them simply leave us alone.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:59 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,196,723 times
Why do christians worship Jesus?

Old 12-20-2011, 02:15 PM

366 posts, read 774,681 times
Default Muslims don't worship the prophet Muhammad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenceDad View Post
This is definitely not against Islam or being racist, but I always wondered this.

Why do Muslims like and worship Muhammed, a prophet who got married many many times with different wives, and even with a 9 year old girl.
What 'good' things have Muhammed done in life that Muslims love him so much?

Not because I really believe in Jesus Christ, but at least in Christianity they worship a nice person that taught the people good stuff, helped them etc.
Jesus didn't get married with so many women, divorce them etc.

Take care!
Muslims worship Allah/God, the same Almighty that Jews and Christians worship!!!! Muhammad was not a supernatural personage like Christianity's Jesus of Nazareth. Muhammad did not walk on water, did not raise the dead, and was never resurrected unlike Jesus. Mohammad was a prophet, a very regular guy during his day and age with a different and unique view of monotheism that millions of people regard and follow to this day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam