Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2011, 05:11 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
both the train and subway have a negative and positive after reading the paper today

Train
positive-"safer"
negative-"can be delays due to suicides on the tracks"
Thanks for an early morning major hoot of laughter which has set the stage for my day. Darn, they really need to get a handle on all these suicide leapers who create such a mass of delays.

Where do you read this stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 07:28 AM

806 posts, read 2,884,793 times
I'm hoping for a continuation, hopefully a new thread about breakfast. His choices, the nutritional value, amount, time to prepare and eat it, cleaning up e.t.c. Maybe he's going to take the hint, start the thread today, practise tomorrow and make the weekend all the more fun.
I say that thread gets at least 5 pages.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:29 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
TVSG, if you stopped taking pain staking measures to disguise your thinning hair and visited a professional hair stylist, it would chop twenty minutes off of your morning primping schedule. You would be out the door with the freedom to choose your mode of transport. You could ride the commuter train and risk being delayed by a selfish suicidal jumper, or take the express subway and risk the petty theft of a pick pocket.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:45 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Thanks for an early morning major hoot of laughter which has set the stage for my day. Darn, they really need to get a handle on all these suicide leapers who create such a mass of delays.

The Philadelphia Daily News from September 16, 2011

Old 09-17-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
The Philadelphia Daily News from September 16, 2011
According to the article, a total of 15 people have committed suicide by train in the last five years on Philly train tracks. How long did it take you to come up with the conclusion that:

Train
positive-"safer"
negative-"can be delays due to suicides on the tracks"

Subway
positive-"faster and runs more frequent"
negative-"Not safe and can't get hurt or robbed"

According to your analysis, a negative of the subway is that it's not safe and you can't get hurt or robbed. So if you got hurt or robbed that would be a positive?

Given the statistics I hardly think you need worry about a delay caused by a suicide on the tracks.

Next dilemma? We love to assist.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:14 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:

I can't speak for Philly but we've been having a rash of these that has affected train service in Southern California. At least once every month or so it seems .... I know this because I'm a commuter train passenger and follow the alerts. The situation's gotten so bad that I would gladly use a subway if that option was available to me.

Last edited by Chatteress; 09-17-2011 at 10:22 AM..

Old 09-17-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I can't speak for Philly but we've been having a rash of these that has affected train service in Southern California. At least once every month or so it seems .... I know this because I'm a commuter train passenger and follow the alerts. The situation's gotten so bad that I would gladly use a subway if that option was available to me.
The article which TVSG assessed his analysis upon was pretty clear where Philly statistics are concerned but if you're correct about the much higher stats in Southern CA then of course TVSG should note them in case he should ever decide to relocate.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
The article which TVSG assessed his analysis upon was pretty clear where Philly statistics are concerned but if you're correct about the much higher stats in Southern CA then of course TVSG should note them in case he should ever decide to relocate.
Even the possibility of a suicide or other incident can be enough to cause someone concern if they have experienced firsthand the massive delays of such an incident. Once I find an alternative to using commuter rail, I'm so done with it! Give me a subway anyday over commuter rail.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Even the possibility of a suicide or other incident can be enough to cause someone concern if they have experienced firsthand the massive delays of such an incident. Once I find an alternative to using commuter rail, I'm so done with it! Give me a subway anyday over commuter rail.
Seems from news reports that the incidence of suicides on the NY subway system is quite high. And of course motor vehicle accidents probably account for more deaths and delays than those on commuter trains and subways combined. Getting concerned over the possibility of any incident, anywhere, any time would render one incapable of setting foot outside the house and such mental paralysis would be cause for major counseling if not hospitalization. A bit of a stretch.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Seems from news reports that the incidence of suicides on the NY subway system is quite high. And of course motor vehicle accidents probably account for more deaths and delays than those on commuter trains and subways combined. Getting concerned over the possibility of any incident, anywhere, any time would render one incapable of setting foot outside the house and such mental paralysis would be cause for major counseling if not hospitalization. A bit of a stretch.
This concern does not prevent me from using commuter rail but should an alternative become available, I'm jumping on that. All TVSG was doing in his post was laying out the positive and negatives of commuter trains versus subways. When you ridiculed the part about the train suicides, I was pointing out that is a valid concern. Since he is opting to use the commuter rail, it seems that this concern isn't paralyzing him in the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search