Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2011, 12:57 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
Is there a huge difference in a train and a subway in Philly? We're talking about a 25 minute ride, so how bad could the subway be?
See Post #126 on this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 02:25 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,548,356 times
Quote:
Is there a huge difference in a train and a subway in Philly? We're talking about a 25 minute ride, so how bad could the subway be?
I mean.. it's TVSG involved here so this is definitely a huge deal.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:32 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
On the train, you are around normal working people, on the subway you are around a bunch of crazy people and drunks without any type of security.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Me too.

So, TVSG, apart from all the train schedule crises, how was the first day at work? You never mentioned a word about that but I guess analyzing the train problem was priority.

By the way, going back on yesterday's posts, it occurred to me that since this new employer hunted you down you're obviously a very important and worthy catch. If I were you I'd use this to my advantage. Tell your new boss that as much as you will make every effort to be at work on time, getting up at 5AM in order to make an earlier train on the days you start at 8AM is totally alien to your routine. BUT, if your salary is upped by $5K/p.a. you will view this as an incentive worthy of your stature in the workplace and will make the necessary changes - as difficult as that will be. They might just jump at the opportunity to keep you happy.

Oh, one more thing. You mentioned taking the subway on those 8AM start days. However, on another thread related to the train schedules, someone suggested you do exactly that and you retorted that you're "allergic to the subway". (Question about the Regional Rail since I will use it everyday to get to my new job starting Monday.). Did your allergy spontaneously disappear or did you take something for it? Just curious. I've never had an allergy to any sort of public transportation but other posters might and how you overcame it may help someone else.
Like all first days on a new job

1. Not much to do
2. No one is really talking to you because they don't know you yet
3. Your computer is being setup along with email
4. In orientation with HR to receive the financial paperwork and medical benefits form

Old 09-13-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Perhaps? I'm guessing that this is going to be a given and am really looking forward to new threads either on this forum or the Philadelphia forum.

Recounting of the dilemmas will probably bring back memories of my public transportation commuting days in London and may even refresh some memories of childhood in the UK when I took a steam train to get to grammar school which was several miles away, took about 45 minutes and also entailed a long walk both back and forth between home and the station of over 20 minutes along the railroad path. Please don't disappoint, TVSG.
I would rather be unemployed looking for something else than being on a train for 45 mins each way everyday.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:14 PM

29,832 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I would rather be unemployed looking for something else than being on a train for 45 mins each way everyday.
Sounds like your job is paid for by government funding... Wait till the gravy train ends before you start complaining about the ride.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Sounds like your job is paid for by government funding... Wait till the gravy train ends before you start complaining about the ride.
I will never be fully committed to a job again for the rest of my life. I will always be on the lookout for a new opportunity

Old 09-13-2011, 06:25 PM

29,832 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Quote:
I will never be fully committed to a job again for the rest of my life. I will always be on the lookout for a new opportunity
You will always be committed to a job because you lack the ability to put money aside for the future, as you've typically stated before. You've told us you we're contemplating blowing all of your savings to buy a new TV. Cmon, who does this in this day and age? As for those new opportunities... What new opportunities? The government has been slashing police, fire and rescue funding for quite awhile, and they are being forced to make even deeper cuts. You do what, help convicts get jobs? There are not many jobs for them, how are you going to help them? You think the government is going to keep funding a program like that? I'm not saying it will happen, I'm saying, get with the times.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
You will always be committed to a job because you lack the ability to put money aside for the future, as you've typically stated before. You've told us you we're contemplating blowing all of your savings to buy a new TV. Cmon, who does this in this day and age? As for those new opportunities... What new opportunities? The government has been slashing police, fire and rescue funding for quite awhile, and they are being forced to make even deeper cuts. You do what, help convicts get jobs? There are not many jobs for them, how are you going to help them? You think the government is going to keep funding a program like that? I'm not saying it will happen, I'm saying, get with the times.
Actually the government would rather fund a program that helps ex-offenders get a job. I'm not working with that population right now. I'm working with a population of unemployed people who were laid off from their jobs.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:47 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
On the train, you are around normal working people, on the subway you are around a bunch of crazy people and drunks without any type of security.
This is a nasty response.
You're stating that everyone who rides the subway is either crazy or a drunk.
Nice brush you're painting with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search