Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2011, 11:15 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Yeah but now you are in a new position with a new supervisor so the rules could very well be different... Not every supervisor is ok with their employees coming into work late ... I'd be extra cautious during these next few months while you go through your probationary period.
well after talking to my friend about the train schedule, I realized that even if the 8:22am train was on time, would still be getting their at 8:40am at the earliest with a 7 min walk to follow. So that is cutting it too close so the 7:46am will be my train on Mondays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 01:24 AM

1,378 posts, read 4,364,090 times
The boss who said you could come in late, wasn't she the one who got fired?

Oh, I'm about to leave for work. See, getting up early isn't so bad. It beats unemployment.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:05 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
This has got to be one of the most exciting threads since the Top Coat Dilemma of a couple of years ago when TVSG was looking for employment. What a gripping story of train-catching has emerged and what will happen in the next episode of "Adventures On The Rails"? The suspense is going to be unbearable.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:39 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,844,587 times
After a hiatus from posting here for a few months, it's nice to see some things on CD never change........the TVSG show goes on regardless.

So catch me up, did you get fired or laid off TV?

Old 09-13-2011, 04:06 AM

45,432 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Nothing to add but just here to mention that it's 6:05 AM EDST and I've been up for almost 2 hours. A normal day.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Nothing to add but just here to mention that it's 6:05 AM EDST and I've been up for almost 2 hours. A normal day.
Me too.

So, TVSG, apart from all the train schedule crises, how was the first day at work? You never mentioned a word about that but I guess analyzing the train problem was priority.

By the way, going back on yesterday's posts, it occurred to me that since this new employer hunted you down you're obviously a very important and worthy catch. If I were you I'd use this to my advantage. Tell your new boss that as much as you will make every effort to be at work on time, getting up at 5AM in order to make an earlier train on the days you start at 8AM is totally alien to your routine. BUT, if your salary is upped by $5K/p.a. you will view this as an incentive worthy of your stature in the workplace and will make the necessary changes - as difficult as that will be. They might just jump at the opportunity to keep you happy.

Oh, one more thing. You mentioned taking the subway on those 8AM start days. However, on another thread related to the train schedules, someone suggested you do exactly that and you retorted that you're "allergic to the subway". (Question about the Regional Rail since I will use it everyday to get to my new job starting Monday.). Did your allergy spontaneously disappear or did you take something for it? Just curious. I've never had an allergy to any sort of public transportation but other posters might and how you overcame it may help someone else.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:38 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,652,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
This has got to be one of the most exciting threads since the Top Coat Dilemma of a couple of years ago when TVSG was looking for employment. What a gripping story of train-catching has emerged and what will happen in the next episode of "Adventures On The Rails"? The suspense is going to be unbearable.
Yes, perhaps TVSG can start his own little "strap hanger" blog, where he can regale us with tales of his commuter travel.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:14 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,116,372 times
Be careful, ladies, or you may be reported. As if we all haven't already been reported in previous threads.

Frankly, I've been having a blast watching the clown in the white house.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Yes, perhaps TVSG can start his own little "strap hanger" blog, where he can regale us with tales of his commuter travel.
Perhaps? I'm guessing that this is going to be a given and am really looking forward to new threads either on this forum or the Philadelphia forum.

Recounting of the dilemmas will probably bring back memories of my public transportation commuting days in London and may even refresh some memories of childhood in the UK when I took a steam train to get to grammar school which was several miles away, took about 45 minutes and also entailed a long walk both back and forth between home and the station of over 20 minutes along the railroad path. Please don't disappoint, TVSG.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:08 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,364,090 times
Is there a huge difference in a train and a subway in Philly? We're talking about a 25 minute ride, so how bad could the subway be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search