Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 07:55 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,607,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The quals (getting an interview) was NEVER the issue.
The interpersonal stuff is what gets you hired or not (the closing).

With a lighter load on THEM... the person you met may have been more willing to engage with you.

Remember what Alec said?

The Art of selling by Alec Baldwin - YouTube
yeah, because i've even reapplied at Target and i've gotten 2 interviews there, 1 in February of this year, and 1 in May, both seperate from the Target location i worked at, and did not get hired, and they called me first to set up the interview, i've even reapplied at the one i used to work at but i never even got a new interview since leaving, and what's weird is that they told me I was eligible for rehire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 02:28 PM

So are seasonal, temporary jobs from September to November, as in retail stores that are hiring around the Holidays, like for Black Friday and the Christmas Rush, are they less picky about qualifications, do not have as high-standards during the hiring-process? Because I don't have much work experience, and the fact Target hired me last Fall for that seasonal, temporary job, and the fact that I'm struggling to get a permanent full-time or part-time job in retail, fast-food, customer-service, minimum-wage, entry-level service jobs is making me think that, i want honest answers please.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:53 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8HumanResources View Post
so the resume, job application is what gets the person's foot in the door, leads to the interview? because i'm guessing the employers i've had interviews at this year probably saw something they liked on my resume, application, enough to get me an interview
Obviously your application passed the first stage. If you're getting interviews but not getting the job, it could just mean that you and 600 other people are applying and not all 600 people will get it.

It could also mean you are doing something in the interview that maybe you aren't even aware of. Do you look at the ceiling for your answers? Do you make eye contact? Do you fidget? Do you babble...(man did I have to work on this one...when I get nervous, I babble even while I'm telling myself to SHUT UP in my head), do you shake your leg, how do you dress, how do you sit, etc.

Take annerk's advice and have some people practice interviews with you...people that will be honest with you.

Also, while you don't want to babble, you also don't want to say too little. And show enthusiasm. You REALLY want that job, tell them WHY you really want that job. But remember, not everyone appreciates the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Some times you don't have to say all of it, just the basics.

You should probably also think of some answers to those ridiculous questions they ask:

"What would your past co-workers say about you?" (For God's sake, I hate that one. Who the hell knows, ask them.)

"What do you consider your weaknesses?" (This is all a game, that's all it is. You find a weakness that you can turn in to a positive.)

"What are your strengths?" Find something that you are really good at, doesn't matter if it's "organization" or whatever, as long as it has something to do with that particular job.

"What was your most challenging situation at your last job?" (As tempting as it may be, do not say, "Showing up! I hated that damn place, just showing up was a challenge!") (Ok, just being funny now.)

Anyway, those are the kinds of crap questions they ask...work on those. But when you get to the interview, make it sound natural, not scripted.

And don't sit on your hands! (Not saying you do, I'm saying it just in case you do.)

Old 08-08-2012, 04:59 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
And don't sit on your hands! (Not saying you do, I'm saying it just in case you do.)
This made me laugh, but it's because I wish I could. I talk with my hands, and it becomes more pronounced if I'm nervous. I've learned a trick when in meetings. I hold a pen in my hands. It's appropriate and keeps me from waving my arms around. I used to do it during job interviews as well.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Obviously your application passed the first stage. If you're getting interviews but not getting the job, it could just mean that you and 600 other people are applying and not all 600 people will get it.

It could also mean you are doing something in the interview that maybe you aren't even aware of. Do you look at the ceiling for your answers? Do you make eye contact? Do you fidget? Do you babble...(man did I have to work on this one...when I get nervous, I babble even while I'm telling myself to SHUT UP in my head), do you shake your leg, how do you dress, how do you sit, etc.

Take annerk's advice and have some people practice interviews with you...people that will be honest with you.

Also, while you don't want to babble, you also don't want to say too little. And show enthusiasm. You REALLY want that job, tell them WHY you really want that job. But remember, not everyone appreciates the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Some times you don't have to say all of it, just the basics.

You should probably also think of some answers to those ridiculous questions they ask:

"What would your past co-workers say about you?" (For God's sake, I hate that one. Who the hell knows, ask them.)

"What do you consider your weaknesses?" (This is all a game, that's all it is. You find a weakness that you can turn in to a positive.)

"What are your strengths?" Find something that you are really good at, doesn't matter if it's "organization" or whatever, as long as it has something to do with that particular job.

"What was your most challenging situation at your last job?" (As tempting as it may be, do not say, "Showing up! I hated that damn place, just showing up was a challenge!") (Ok, just being funny now.)

Anyway, those are the kinds of crap questions they ask...work on those. But when you get to the interview, make it sound natural, not scripted.

answer the question please regarding if employers are less picky, more likely to settle on a candidate, do not expect as much qualifications during the holidays, for seasonal, temporary jobs, during the months of September through December, because i don't get why i did well enough to get hired in my Target interview last Fall, but not enough to get hired for other job interviews i've had this year

Old 08-09-2012, 09:34 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
answer the question please regarding if employers are less picky, more likely to settle on a candidate, do not expect as much qualifications during the holidays, for seasonal, temporary jobs, during the months of September through December, because i don't get why i did well enough to get hired in my Target interview last Fall, but not enough to get hired for other job interviews i've had this year
There could be many reasons. it's quite possible that although you are technically eligible for rehire at Target, you are not getting a good reference from your supervisor.

It's possible that your resume isn't at the right spot in the pile when they start going down the line to hire a couple of people.

There could be any number of other reasons.

Have you done a mock interview?

Old 08-09-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
There could be many reasons. it's quite possible that although you are technically eligible for rehire at Target, you are not getting a good reference from your supervisor.

It's possible that your resume isn't at the right spot in the pile when they start going down the line to hire a couple of people.

There could be any number of other reasons.

Have you done a mock interview?
yes i have done mock interviews, but i wonder if there is more to it than that that is preventing me from getting hired

Old 08-09-2012, 10:03 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
yes i have done mock interviews, but i wonder if there is more to it than that that is preventing me from getting hired
If you've eliminated every possibility for them to eliminate you (dressed up in a nice suit, creat/submit a professional resume, type/submit a nice cover letter, answer interview questions successfully, follow up, etc.), sometimes it's just the luck of the draw.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
If you've eliminated every possibility for them to eliminate you (dressed up in a nice suit, creat/submit a professional resume, type/submit a nice cover letter, answer interview questions successfully, follow up, etc.), sometimes it's just the luck of the draw.
i've always dressed professionally to all of the 11 interviews i've had this year, with a suit and tie, and more than of the interviews i've brought in 2 copies of my resume, i should get a cover letter though, although some interview questions are tough for me

Old 08-09-2012, 10:13 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
i've always dressed professionally to all of the 11 interviews i've had this year, with a suit and tie, and more than of the interviews i've brought in 2 copies of my resume, i should get a cover letter though, although some interview questions are tough for me
Try coming up with prepared answers for the tough interview questions you encounter, and try typing a nice cover letter (Microsoft Word 2010 if you have it has the Fleisch-Kincaid Readability Scale included which measures the grade level of your documents). They could be eliminating you because you don't have a cover letter (you may have good writing/english skills and they don't know it) or because you're unable to answer the tough interview questions.

YouTube has tons of interview help/preparation videos you might want to watch as well.

But realize you're completing with hundreds, if not thousands of people for these positions. You must pull out all of your guns to win this dog fight. You will lose several battles in this war (rejection) before eventually landing a victory (a job), but you just must simply try again and try harder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search