Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 10:34 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
But what if the inconvenience is on ME? What if I am the person willing to pay my way to get up there? I'm willing to do it if it means I get a job. Last time I checked, the unemployment rate in the Atlanta area is quite high. I look at it as "leave, or stay unemployed".
I'm sure most would agree... You need a drivers license first. Much harder to find a job if you can't drive to an interview. Not every place has an adequate public transit system, greatly limiting your chances of gaining employment. How would you move if you don't have a vehicle to get you and your belongings to the new location? Once away from family, how would you practice driving so you can get your license?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 10:45 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I'm sure most would agree... You need a drivers license first. Much harder to find a job if you can't drive to an interview. Not every place has an adequate public transit system, greatly limiting your chances of gaining employment. How would you move if you don't have a vehicle to get you and your belongings to the new location? Once away from family, how would you practice driving so you can get your license?
I never thought about practicing drive if I moved. I thought of it in terms of "I can fly out there", and most places I've applied to, I've often made sure there is a good transportation system there. Right now, I'm only trying to learn because I'm in a desperate position. Deep down, I resent doing, but only because of the reason I'm doing this. I'm not doing it because I want to. I'm doing this because I have no other choice, it's either do it or no job.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:03 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
I'm not doing it because I want to. I'm doing this because I have no other choice, it's either do it or no job.
It's called "adulthood". You'll likely do many other things in the future because you'll face the same choice.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
It's called "adulthood". You'll likely do many other things in the future because you'll face the same choice.
Perhaps it's adulthood, and it could also be other issues. I've known students coming to this country from other nations. They would tell me that they never needed to drive until they came to the USA, particularly suburban Atlanta.

I guess with me, I just did my own thing because I figured "I'll get around to it whenever I want". Now I'm doing this under force.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:25 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
aren't you going to sign up for classes, do some driving as part of the class and then take the test and get the DL? Should be able to do this in a couple weeks.

If your mom isn't going to take you driving, who is and how often? It seems you are wasting precious time.

You should give yourself a deadline of when you plan to take the test. What's your deadline?

The job that was offerred...are they waiting for you to have a DL? Or is that job out of the picture now? For some reason I thought they gave you a month or two to get a DL. I figured you would have taken the bull by the horns and solved this problem by now.

green mariner...you need to push yourself harder and make this happen within the next couple weeks or sooner. get your DL.

It doesn't matter what you thought about a DL back then. What matters now is WHEN are you taking the test, when will you have met the criteria to take the DL test. WHEN??????

Old 05-01-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
aren't you going to sign up for classes, do some driving as part of the class and then take the test and get the DL? Should be able to do this in a couple weeks.

If your mom isn't going to take you driving, who is and how often? It seems you are wasting precious time.

You should give yourself a deadline of when you plan to take the test. What's your deadline?

The job that was offerred...are they waiting for you to have a DL? Or is that job out of the picture now? For some reason I thought they gave you a month or two to get a DL. I figured you would have taken the bull by the horns and solved this problem by now.

green mariner...you need to push yourself harder and make this happen within the next couple weeks or sooner. get your DL.

It doesn't matter what you thought about a DL back then. What matters now is WHEN are you taking the test, when will you have met the criteria to take the DL test. WHEN??????
The job is out of the picture. And I've tried to talk about this problem with my parents. I've gotten a lesson whenever I could get one. However, someone still has to pay for the courses, and I have to wait for that. Meanwhile, I'm looking to other persons to teach me. I'm doing what I can do consider I have to depend on others to get anything done. If I had $500 on me, I would have already done this by now. I've already told my parents the driving schools available, and now my father has to decide which one is the best deal. According to him, it's alot of money to spend.

And driving is still kind of scary to me because I lose focus easily. I'm still not confident enough to take the driving test.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:46 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
The job is out of the picture. And I've tried to talk about this problem with my parents. I've gotten a lesson whenever I could get one. However, someone still has to pay for the courses, and I have to wait for that. Meanwhile, I'm looking to other persons to teach me. I'm doing what I can do consider I have to depend on others to get anything done. If I had $500 on me, I would have already done this by now. I've already told my parents the driving schools available, and now my father has to decide which one is the best deal. According to him, it's alot of money to spend.

And driving is still kind of scary to me because I lose focus easily. I'm still not confident enough to take the driving test.
See if you an get some kind of student loan for the drivers test and pay it back once you start work. See if you can borrow the money from your parents and sign something that you will pay it back.

You cannot just sit around and wait. You must get this done asap. You are already 1 year out of college. Every day that passes means you will be less likely to get a job in your chosen profession.

All you need is a few more hours of driving lessons and in session classroom or online class that is less than 1 week total time. You cannot just sit and become a dependent on your parents deciding when your life will begin. You are acting like a 5 year old. Do something about this. Take the initiative.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:29 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:

So you've lost this job opportunity? If so, why? Are your parents unable or unwilling to pay for the driving courses? If so, you need to take out a small personal or student loan to do this. I mentioned months ago in this thread that your parents are harming you long term by essentially enabling your behavior. It would be better for you and them over the long run if you were an independent person taking care of yourself. If some action were taken then, this thread, had it continued, would likely be about your success. Unfortunately, the thread is just a merry-go-round that has 58 pages and tens of thousands of views. Not even the basic issues, like learning to drive, appear to have been resolved.

This entire situation is utterly mind-boggling to me. You graduated college still unable to drive at 25-26, living in suburban Atlanta of all places, with virtually no work experience (a competent kid ten years younger than you in Atlanta can work a basic job and get themselves from A to B) and still land a job in your field within a year, but can't get it together enough to learn to drive. The labor market is indeed bad, but there are other personal issues at play here, some of which are contributing to your crisis far more than the bad labor market. Some of us haven't had the luxury to ever land in the field of our college major, no matter how many real life skills we have, desire to relocate, how good we did in school, etc. Most of us didn't have parents that would tolerate behavior like yours in our mid 20s. You need to get this driving thing completely nailed down immediately.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
See if you an get some kind of student loan for the drivers test and pay it back once you start work. See if you can borrow the money from your parents and sign something that you will pay it back.

You cannot just sit around and wait. You must get this done asap. You are already 1 year out of college. Every day that passes means you will be less likely to get a job in your chosen profession.

All you need is a few more hours of driving lessons and in session classroom or online class that is less than 1 week total time. You cannot just sit and become a dependent on your parents deciding when your life will begin. You are acting like a 5 year old. Do something about this. Take the initiative.
Why do you think I am turning to one of my neighbors to teach me how to drive? I got sick of waiting.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:56 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,726 times
Quote:
Agreed. He is 25 correct? This is beyond adulthood. Unless your in NYC or something you will have to learn how to drive.

Quote:
Perhaps it's adulthood, and it could also be other issues. I've known students coming to this country from other nations. They would tell me that they never needed to drive until they came to the USA, particularly suburban Atlanta.

I guess with me, I just did my own thing because I figured "I'll get around to it whenever I want". Now I'm doing this under force.
Well this IS AMERICA....who cares that another student in another country didn't have to drive.

Under force....if I was your parent I would have kicked you out by now. Mid twenties with no job and doesn't know how to drive....you need to get your life started.

Also what is the "lose focus easily" about. When your driving there isn't much to lose focus on. Unless your drinking a beer or texting and driving you will look at the road and drive. What do you think you will be doing...daydreaming. your putting up a front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search