Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 11:41 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I already did.
I saw that. And you conveniently ignored the part that is truly helpful to you.

Again, one can only help those who want to be helped.

From our interaction, not only I think you don't know how to work, but also I think you aren't even very wise. A wise person would say "Hey, why should I be whining? I can learn all the interview skills and beat those stupid HR and Hiring Managers!!!" Yet, I have not seen you ask me one question on how to make improvement.

All I hear from you is complaining and whining. Why would anybody want to hire you if you are a complainer and aren't very wise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 06:21 PM

107 posts, read 381,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I saw that. And you conveniently ignored the part that is truly helpful to you.

Again, one can only help those who want to be helped.

From our interaction, not only I think you don't know how to work, but also I think you aren't even very wise. A wise person would say "Hey, why should I be whining? I can learn all the interview skills and beat those stupid HR and Hiring Managers!!!" Yet, I have not seen you ask me one question on how to make improvement.

All I hear from you is complaining and whining. Why would anybody want to hire you if you are a complainer and aren't very wise?
The self proclaimed "HR/Hiring people" here constantly preach about the "real world". Let me tell you about the real world. Some of the greatest people on this planet were complete aholes in interacting with other people(Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Larry Ellison, Henry Ford, the list goes on and on).

It is easy to talk about likeability when hiring for meaningless positions where no particular skill is required(receptionists/administrative assistant,etc.) and where a hot 18 year old girl could trump a 40 year old guy with 20 years experience. For positions that matter, where margin between best and 2nd best is significant, likeability should be a tertiary concern.

If I am on a plane, I don't concern myself with whether the pilot/copilot is a good person, good husband or a complete douchebag, the only thing that matters is flying skill/not being impaired. Same thing for a surgeon, or a college professor. In my university career I found that the "liked" professors frequently were fond of giving easy "A's" and people who got trashed on ratemyprofessor.com were the ones who genuinely wanted students to learn and put them through the paces. Take NFL for example. Bill Belichick and Tom Coughlin are not known as bubbly effervescent individuals. The list of professions where talent trumps everything else is infinite.

Work is not your personal life. Whereas in personal life satisfaction from a relationship is everything, in work, the whole point is to add value to your company. If you forgo a more efficient/productive/skilled person because his personality rubs you the wrong way, you just did real damage to your company. The impact of hiring suboptimal individuals added up throughout the organization can bring about its downfall.

No 2 people are ever equally qualified for positions that matter. If you think they are, find a meaningful( objectively job related) tiebreaker. Talent must be respected.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:47 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
The fact that you are the kind of person who goes skiing or rock climbing, or collects stamps, or chooses to live green says a lot about your personality. In hiring someone, I have an extremely small window to get to know a person as best I can. Ideally I would be able to watch someone work for a few months before hiring (which is why internships are amazing things), but that is often an impossibility. Because of that, like it or not, a certain amount of personal judgment has to be used. If you are interviewing for a job as a computer programmer where extremely small details are the difference between a wildly successful project and a dramatic failure, the fact that you don't have the focus/energy to even keep your car clean tells me something. If the job requires a person to stay late for a week or so every quarter, but the candidate isn't even motivated enough to keep their house clean, then that is a warning to me.

Did you really type this with a straight face? This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read.

You employers may have access to my work history, my references and my college transcripts and you may check my criminal background. YOU DO NOT have access to my personal life, how I clean, what I use to clean, if I didn't feel like F-en cleaning for two weeks, my car, how much my car cost, how often I get the car washed, etc. That is NONE of your DAMN business!

The more I hear from HR and hiring managers on this forum, the more disgust I feel towards all of them, all over the country. Get off of your power trip, you are NOT as important as you think you are.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:40 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,048,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnemployedRage View Post
The self proclaimed "HR/Hiring people" here constantly preach about the "real world". Let me tell you about the real world. Some of the greatest people on this planet were complete aholes in interacting with other people(Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Larry Ellison, Henry Ford, the list goes on and on).

It is easy to talk about likeability when hiring for meaningless positions where no particular skill is required(receptionists/administrative assistant,etc.) and where a hot 18 year old girl could trump a 40 year old guy with 20 years experience. For positions that matter, where margin between best and 2nd best is significant, likeability should be a tertiary concern.

If I am on a plane, I don't concern myself with whether the pilot/copilot is a good person, good husband or a complete douchebag, the only thing that matters is flying skill/not being impaired. Same thing for a surgeon, or a college professor. In my university career I found that the "liked" professors frequently were fond of giving easy "A's" and people who got trashed on ratemyprofessor.com were the ones who genuinely wanted students to learn and put them through the paces. Take NFL for example. Bill Belichick and Tom Coughlin are not known as bubbly effervescent individuals. The list of professions where talent trumps everything else is infinite.

Work is not your personal life. Whereas in personal life satisfaction from a relationship is everything, in work, the whole point is to add value to your company. If you forgo a more efficient/productive/skilled person because his personality rubs you the wrong way, you just did real damage to your company. The impact of hiring suboptimal individuals added up throughout the organization can bring about its downfall.

No 2 people are ever equally qualified for positions that matter. If you think they are, find a meaningful( objectively job related) tiebreaker. Talent must be respected.
Very well said! Also, if I'm on a plane or having surgery, I really do not care whether the pilot or surgeon skis, runs marathons, watches TV, or how often he or she washes his or her car. I can't understand why the HR people are so fixated on things like that.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:49 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I saw that. And you conveniently ignored the part
Yes I did.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:51 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Did you really type this with a straight face? This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read.

You employers may have access to my work history, my references and my college transcripts and you may check my criminal background. YOU DO NOT have access to my personal life, how I clean, what I use to clean, if I didn't feel like F-en cleaning for two weeks, my car, how much my car cost, how often I get the car washed, etc. That is NONE of your DAMN business!

The more I hear from HR and hiring managers on this forum, the more disgust I feel towards all of them, all over the country. Get off of your power trip, you are NOT as important as you think you are.
Perfect.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:53 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
They were/are also geniuses with a vision. Very different from the average worker bee looking to push papers in a cube.

Quote:
Don't dis the glue in the organization--and it's not the person at the top. And for the record, I'd hire the guy with the experience for that job. A good receptionist or career admin is worth their weight in gold.

Quote:
While their skill is important, I've fired doctors who were jerks. I have a choice in my healthcare and exercise that choice. (Yet another reason I don't want socialized medicine, I want to choose my practitioner.) And I don't want to work with a jerk or someone who doesn't fit in with the other employees. They bring down morale or in some cases, create a toxic environment. You lose other valuable employees when you introduce a toxic employee into the workplace.

Quote:

Many people spend more time with the people they work with than anyone else. And just like suboptimal talent can bring down an organization, so can an employee who doesn't get along with peers. I'd rather hire someone who is a 9 with a great personality than a 10 who is a douche.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:55 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

Considering that most jobs I hire for are customer facing and often require entertaining customers including driving them to a meal, yes, it is my business. No, I'm not going to hire you if your car has a family of mice living in the back seat. Yes I would be crazy if I did. Oh, and while I would never not hire someone because they drove a compact or midsize regular car (like a Ford or Toyota) instead of a luxury vehicle or SUV, I wouldn't hire them if they were driving a 15 year old rusted out piece of crap with a coat hanger holding the bumper on, even if it was clean. If it were 15 years old, in great condition, and clean, no problem.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:56 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Yes I did.
Suit yourself. The natural selection will take care the rest. :-)

Old 08-24-2012, 10:44 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,048,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
While their skill is important, I've fired doctors who were jerks. I have a choice in my healthcare and exercise that choice. (Yet another reason I don't want socialized medicine, I want to choose my practitioner.)
I guess a point can be made that for a general practitioner, one may prefer a doctor with a better personality but inferior technical knowledge. But for a life-saving surgery, I would want the best surgeon possible, regardless of his/her personality.

Quote:
And I don't want to work with a jerk or someone who doesn't fit in with the other employees. They bring down morale or in some cases, create a toxic environment. You lose other valuable employees when you introduce a toxic employee into the workplace.
Why is someone "some jerk" or "toxic" just because they have never been skiing, or prefer using their free time to relax rather than to train for a marathon?

Quote:
Many people spend more time with the people they work with than anyone else. And just like suboptimal talent can bring down an organization, so can an employee who doesn't get along with peers. I'd rather hire someone who is a 9 with a great personality than a 10 who is a douche.
But someone can have a good personality even if they don't ski or train for marathons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search