Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 06:12 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
In fact, the United States is unique in our mindset that every young person should be pursuing secondary education. I think the costs tend to outweigh the benefits with regards to encouraging everyone to attend. I would like to see more technical programs and schools, as well as certification programs that can prepare for a career in months, instead of years. Furthermore, folks need to start demanding more of their K-12 system so young folks can exit with relevant skills.
Correct. My wife comes from Europe and they have a track system there. I forget the exact age, I think 15 you get thoroughly tested. You do well in academics you go own to their version of high school, sort of. It's called Gymnasium, yes you read that right. That's were all the book smart people go. You don't test well you go to learn a vocation. That makes sense! Here if you want to go to beauty school or be an auto mechanic you have to go to some overpriced private school. You are so in debt by that point good luck. Why are we wasting our tax dollars on kids that are not cut out for advanced math or whatever? I respect welders and plumbers, esp. now that I have done some of my own plumbing, black widows and fun stuff. Remember the days when the burn outs in high school would go into drywall or const. Those jobs are gone now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 06:22 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella2012 View Post
In this economy, to get ahead, you might want to consider further certifications such as PMP, CPA, Cisco Certi etc etc.

Source: All Exam Guide | Your Guide to Professional Certifications
GenieTalks | Your Questions, Answered!

Certs are great for leveraging related experience for a step up. IT would always explain their SQL to me(the business contact), but I had been a MS Access guy for years. I completed the Oracle SQL Expert cert, last year. After 2 months, I found a SQL/MS Access job paying $20k more.

I would caution people against getting a cert with no related experience to leverage. A fast food cook won't get a job as a network admin or project manager based on a cert.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:15 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Those jobs are gone now.
That's the problem, too many people and not enough jobs.

What type of education people get won't change that (though it's a convenient outlet to blame).

Old 09-28-2012, 08:49 PM

29,824 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Correct. My wife comes from Europe and they have a track system there. I forget the exact age, I think 15 you get thoroughly tested. You do well in academics you go own to their version of high school, sort of. It's called Gymnasium, yes you read that right. That's were all the book smart people go. You don't test well you go to learn a vocation. That makes sense! Here if you want to go to beauty school or be an auto mechanic you have to go to some overpriced private school. You are so in debt by that point good luck. Why are we wasting our tax dollars on kids that are not cut out for advanced math or whatever? I respect welders and plumbers, esp. now that I have done some of my own plumbing, black widows and fun stuff. Remember the days when the burn outs in high school would go into drywall or const. Those jobs are gone now.
I think the European system makes a lot of sense. The problem in this country is... If there is a problem, the solution is always to throw more money at the problem. What the Europeans have done was made sure the (limited) money was hitting the right targets. No sense in wasting money educating the ones who are not capable of learning. Send them to the bottom of the barrel careers so at least they will be matched up with their potential. As the popular comedic line goes... You can't fix stupid! Until you can rewire a brain, some people are just not capable of higher learning. It's not their fault, and it's not the state's or country's responsibility to fill them with hope.

I think what made this country great was there was a need for everybody from all different backgrounds. You could literally show up with nothing but a work ethic and learn some type of profession while trading some sweat equity. If the boss saw you were an exceptional worker, he would pass down his knowledge and skills. The logic was, if a worker has nothing but an exceptional work ethic, the boss knows that worker will make him some serious $$$ if he equips him with some skills to boot. These days, that's happening somewhere, but certainly not America. We are becoming a caste society.

Another problem in this country is those trade jobs you described are being done by illegals many times. How can an American compete against that? I started in my trade doing a lot of simple tasks that basically anyone could do. That's how you start in any trade. These days, the illegals have a lock down on most types of simple work. They do it for life, they are happy with never progressing, and that's one less legal American getting their foot in the door in a respectable trade. It's absolutely repulsive out here in Chicago. There is no pride in an honest living anymore.

When a work ethic no longer affords at least some place to sleep at night, it's apparent the system is broken.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
That's the problem, too many people and not enough jobs.

What type of education people get won't change that (though it's a convenient outlet to blame).
Of course, no one has a practical solution to the above, so it's rarely discussed.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:23 PM

29,824 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Of course, no one has a practical solution to the above, so it's rarely discussed.
The practical solution is that we will probably move back to a 1 income household structure. That is largely dependent on how fast technology progresses, and how businesses decide to adapt to the business climate. A couple points to consider... Recessions/depressions tend to slow or stunt development in technology. If money is tight, less goes to R&D. Profit potential is also lower when money is tight and the economy sucks. So why bust your behind and spend millions/billions trying to create the next breakthrough if the potential reward does not justify it? We see far more breakthroughs in technology when the economy is good and the future is optimistic. Why is this worth mentioning? Hopefully technology will eliminate jobs at a slower pace for awhile.

Another point... When demand is slow, businesses shift to a "just in time" model. That is, they eat the higher cost per unit by producing goods closer to consumers to match current demand. Instead of having millions of widgets produced in China, they will have thousands produced in the U.S., and if more are needed, they can be produced quickly and made available quickly to match demand trends. This is what has been "reshoring" many jobs over the past 4-5 years. Many companies find this to be more profitable during cyclical slow downs, as it prevents costly overproduction. Not only does this create manufacturing jobs, but it also increases demand for people to manage those worker, hire those workers, account for profits/losses, people to advertise, salesman, even janitors and so much more.

Actually, this topic is discussed frequently, but it is not a popular topic. Nobody wants to hear or talk about challenges ahead. Aside from that, the pessimists only see the potential bad and the optimists usually don't have a clue what they are talking about.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The practical solution is that we will probably move back to a 1 income household structure. That is largely dependent on how fast technology progresses, and how businesses decide to adapt to the business climate. A couple points to consider... Recessions/depressions tend to slow or stunt development in technology. If money is tight, less goes to R&D. Profit potential is also lower when money is tight and the economy sucks. So why bust your behind and spend millions/billions trying to create the next breakthrough if the potential reward does not justify it? We see far more breakthroughs in technology when the economy is good and the future is optimistic. Why is this worth mentioning? Hopefully technology will eliminate jobs at a slower pace for awhile.

Another point... When demand is slow, businesses shift to a "just in time" model. That is, they eat the higher cost per unit by producing goods closer to consumers to match current demand. Instead of having millions of widgets produced in China, they will have thousands produced in the U.S., and if more are needed, they can be produced quickly and made available quickly to match demand trends. This is what has been "reshoring" many jobs over the past 4-5 years. Many companies find this to be more profitable during cyclical slow downs, as it prevents costly overproduction. Not only does this create manufacturing jobs, but it also increases demand for people to manage those worker, hire those workers, account for profits/losses, people to advertise, salesman, even janitors and so much more.

Actually, this topic is discussed frequently, but it is not a popular topic. Nobody wants to hear or talk about challenges ahead. Aside from that, the pessimists only see the potential bad and the optimists usually don't have a clue what they are talking about.
Here's a good article from back in December. Even with any "onshoring" taking place (which is probably negligible), it's still projected that, as trade regulations stand now, 6 million more jobs in the US will be lost to offshoring alone by 2020.

Offshore Outsourcing: The Negative Effect on American Jobs - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

That article doesn't even take into account the jobs lost from illegal immigration (which will continue to grow as a problem, even though it has slowed/slightly reversed itself for now) and foreigners with green cards, nor does it take into account the jobs lost from automation. JC Penney for example is more or less planning to get rid of all of their cashiers in the next 5 years as the checkout process becomes completely electronic. You can assure other retailers are following in their footsteps, and I wouldn't at all be surprised if most retailers only have self checkout counters by 2020. Meanwhile,the world population is forecasted to reach 9 billion by 2050.

Now those who haven't been thrown off the gravy train and managed to reserve a seat before the 2008 crash may not hit bottom first, but the fact of the matter is America as a whole is in a downward spiral. The question is what realistic solution do people have to reverse this (or are we going to revert back to our primal instincts and simply say "**** you, I got mine!!!")?

Quote:
In 500 years of Western history, there has always been something new. Always, always, always, always, always." (Businessweek.com, 2004). But what about right now? What about the thousands of U.S. workers who have lost their jobs already? Offshore outsourcing is a growing trend, and it will continue to grow as long as competition exists. So unless millions of new job opportunities open in the U.S. within the next 5 years, the unemployment rate will skyrocket. And who's to say that these new jobs will stay in the U.S.? If "Company A" has 10,000 new job opportunities for U.S. workers, but "Company B" (the competition) outsources their 10,000 new jobs to India, "Company A" must follow in their footsteps to stay ahead. The process cannot be reversed unless the government adopts new policies to slow down offshore outsourcing.
The above quote is what we were discussing before. It's a negative feedback loop. If company A wasn't allowed to offshore jobs in the first place, company B wouldn't have had to also offshore their production just to remain competitive with company A. As a result, now workers at both company A and company B have seen their standard of livings collapse and are spending less money into the economy. A growing economy usually has a high velocity of money circulation. In order for there to be a high velocity of money circulation, there must be demand for the products a company is selling. People can't demand products if they're broke. Meanwhile, the producers have no reason to hire people to build and expedite their products if there's no demand for them. As a result the folks who would normally demand the products can't demand them and there isn't as much money circulating through the economy, and it stays in the hand of the producers. If the velocity of money circulation is low, the economy doesn't grow. It's basic economics.

If the economy doesn't grow, you have more and more people who are unable to find opportunities to lift themselves out of poverty. As a result, you have more and more impoverished people to take care of. This growing class of impoverished people cause strains on government, if not from overstretched welfare doles, then definitely from the fact that crime will continue to increase and law enforcement agencies will have to put more steps in place to control them.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:20 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
These degrees are essentially illegitimate garbage.

I would rather hire someone without a degree then someone with a University of Phoenix diploma. At least the guy who didnt go to college wasnt dumb enough to waste his time and money on an obvious scam like University of phoenix

Old 09-28-2012, 10:23 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
These degrees are essentially illegitimate garbage.

I would rather hire someone without a degree then someone with a University of Phoenix diploma. At least the guy who didnt go to college wasnt dumb enough to waste his time and money on an obvious scam like University of phoenix

Old 09-28-2012, 10:26 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
"Degree must be from a accredited institution of higher learning"

So now some employers don't want you to have a online degree?-lol
Most online colleges are accredited. A degree from an unaccredited school is worth a warm bucket of spit, and even online schools know it. Most unaccredited schools are sectarian religious schools, where they teach things like creationism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search