Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 09:37 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,134,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
One second. Many employers won't hire anyone not currently employed and then complain that they can't find any qualified workers.
I once met a recruiter from Activision and she said for her temp roles (which will end in a few months to a year) such as programmers and etc they only consider employees who are employed full time at other video game companies and that she is having a very difficult time finding qualified workers. BTW these temp positions don't even offer benefits yet Activision will only consider full time employees for these roles even though few if any full time employees will leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 05:26 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
That's great!

Thank You

It is not wise to make blanket statements saying that sitting home and sending resumes won't work. I can't be the only one who has done so, considering that pounding the pavement and walking into places of employment these days seems to irk employers. Not saying it won't work, but in many places you will not just be allowed to walk in and talk to a hiring manager or they will tell you to apply online.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:24 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,622 times
Sending resume won't work? Really? So how do you think I and about 25 people I know all got hired before? By elitist Ivy League connections and F500 a*kissing? Not... Not everyone is into that scene for various reasons. Not everyone has family connections or networks like crazy. Who has money to network right now? Can someone who has been unemployed for 2 years like my neighbor have $50 to go to some networking business dinner/social? A lot of that is overrated too.
Personally, "sitting home and sending resumes" is cost effective. You reach a lot of people in a short period of time. Pounding the pavement no longer works in this day and age. It's too expensive, as is networking! You network when you're employed and making money. When you're worried about your ConEd bill you are not going to shuffle out funds for social dinners and "conferences at the Javits." That's the real life.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:29 AM

All recruiters and HR talk bubble gum and smack. They're corporate a*kissing lackeys and footstools. Taking job hunting advice from them is like taking advice from a sanitation guy on how to be an astronaut and fly to the moon.
Take their comments with a grain of salt but we all know who pays them, and where their loyalty lies.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:42 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
All recruiters and HR talk bubble gum and smack. They're corporate a*kissing lackeys and footstools. Taking job hunting advice from them is like taking advice from a sanitation guy on how to be an astronaut and fly to the moon.
Take their comments with a grain of salt but we all know who pays them, and where their loyalty lies.
You are right but if you want a job you have to dance to the employers tune

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Old 03-12-2013, 08:47 AM

"Dance to the employers tune?" Really? You can do that up to a point. I believe in moderation. You "dance" if you see it's worth it. If not, why bother. Then it becomes a one sided equation. The employers in this economy are always going to walk away with the better deal. Some places take that way too far though. Each one has their won path to follow. Be prepared to pay the piper though.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Yea. Stay busy. Stay employed, even if the job is "beneath you".

Most people don't have any control over how long they stay employed. One day you could be employed and the next, you are not. Especially in this economy. So to tell people to stay employed is a bit over the top. That is not reality based. It would be nice if ALL could stay continously employed, but that is just not how the world works.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:33 AM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
I once met a recruiter from Activision and she said for her temp roles (which will end in a few months to a year) such as programmers and etc they only consider employees who are employed full time at other video game companies and that she is having a very difficult time finding qualified workers. BTW these temp positions don't even offer benefits yet Activision will only consider full time employees for these roles even though few if any full time employees will leave.
That is so unrealistic - it blows my mind that companies are this stupid.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:38 AM

16 posts, read 22,393 times
6 months to a year?

Old 03-12-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post

That's funny, considering that the employers themselves are not perfect, but yet expect perfection(which does not exist).

The mindset of wanting perfection makes me think these employers have some type of mental problem. Sane, understanding, and reality based people knows that perfection simply does not exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search