Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2013, 06:17 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
Like I said, tell interviewers exactly what they want to hear. The whole interview "process" is just a game of BS now. You have to make yourself the perfect candidate on your Resume & Linked In profile by using the right 'buzzwords'. Recruiters even have told me to 'tweak' my Resume and include key words that are on the job description before being submitted.
Of course we all know how honest, hardworking and talented (Talent, talent management & talent aquisition is somehow the new buzzword) most hiring managers & executives are right?? (sarcasm intended)

As long as someone looks excited to meet the interviewer they will get the job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 07:01 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,396,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
People need to know the truth. If you've been job hunting as long as I have, you'd know how it really is. I've invested alot of time investigating the 21st century joke of a hiring process too. This is just too much job hunting for someone who is willing to settle for a fast food job. I'm a victim of today's corrupt hiring process. It really is corruption.
You are only as much of a victim as you allow yourself to be.

You are not finding a job for a reason, and I am certain it is not all the fault of the hiring managers.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:02 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,396,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSDays View Post
It does not take being unemployed for them to decide that.

HR people use every device possible these days NOT to hire people. It keeps them employed.
LOL

Want to tell my boss that when we have our weekly meetings to go over the interviews, applications, etc that I have received and scheduled? Guessing he would be fascinated to know this bit of info....

Old 03-23-2013, 01:45 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSDays View Post
It does not take being unemployed for them to decide that.

HR people use every device possible these days NOT to hire people. It keeps them employed.
Agreed.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:25 PM

4 posts, read 4,814 times
I was fired from a job in 1993 and that company blackballed me. By the time I got the proof by way of a self background check in which the company gave the entire story of what happened it was too late the damage was done. I have not been able to get a job since. I have done everything suggested in the messages I have read. I have done and still do volunteer work in a hospital, I went back to school and became a certified medical assistant and phlebotomist,graduated with honors, I had a professional resume made by the school showing my schooling,externship and my volunteer work. I sent out hundreds of resumes and can count on one hand how many responses I got and of those responses I think I only had several interviews and I could tell from the start that they had no intention of hiring me. One office manager even forgot I was there waiting to speak to him and left leaving me to sit there for three hours before I was told he had left for the day. One employer told my school placement office that I turned down a job with them in order to cover that they never actually interviewed me. I told the school that I couldn't turn down an offer that was never made. I don't think they believed me. I was told by employers that my externship is not considered to be experience. So what is it then and what is the point of doing it? What it comes down to and several employers told me as much is my large gap in employment. My schooling and volunteering is irrelevant to that.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:36 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,943 times
I thought it was illegal for previous employers to say bad things about you (especially if they aren't true) when they find themselves in a reference situation?

Old 06-07-2013, 05:22 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I thought it was illegal for previous employers to say bad things about you (especially if they aren't true) when they find themselves in a reference situation?
That is true which is why it is a "did parried work for you" and they just respond "yes" or "no."

Old 06-07-2013, 05:44 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
I have issues with people thinking that over-qualified people should apply for and accept "lesser" jobs that require little or no skills. I've got a college degree and many years of experience in my field. I have a hard time applying for jobs in my field that only require 1-2 years' experience, since those jobs really should be going to people who recently graduated. Why would I take a job away from them?

Also, if I were to take an unskilled job as (for example) a dishwasher, I'd be taking that job away from a person who ONLY has a shot a being a dishwasher. Where does it leave them? They'd be mighty P.O.'d at me for taking away one of the few jobs that they could get.

For better or worse, the Commonwealth of PA is "paying" me $14.32/hr (I'm getting the max at $573/week) to job hunt. Why on earth would I try to get a job at a bookstore for $8/hr?
Exactly. Some people don't seem to understand that there are many more job seekers than positions available.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:38 PM

4 posts, read 4,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
That is true which is why it is a "did parried work for you" and they just respond "yes" or "no."
That is what they are supposed to do but many times what an employer is supposed to do and what they do are two different things.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:44 PM

23,548 posts, read 24,049,201 times
Anything over a year, and it gets tough.

It is not only your time being unemployed, it is what you have done with your time during this period. Have you tried to learn a new skill? Enrolled in a class?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search