Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 08:33 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNJONNY View Post
So your experience, location, experience, and situation are transferable to everyone on earth? I didn't know we had a regular Spiritual deity on our hands here. Would you be able to bless me?
You missed the point, but that's OK.

Quote:
Five years is really long. Unless you are a convicted felon, live in a rural area of only a few thousands, have diagnosed mental issues, severe or mild disability, and or live in a town with literally no jobs/companies left, you can find a crap job with a few weeks-months effort/consistency. If you're looking for more than crap than sitting and hopping....that I could see taking years. Like I know someone who it took 3 years to move from a decent to non crap job. During that time she changed nothing beyond going to work, applying, and living her life.
Or maybe you didn't.

Bottom line, you do what it takes. For some people, that's going to mean moving. Not so bad when the alternative is living in a box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 08:33 AM

846 posts, read 1,401,508 times
I'm a student. Not in Orlando, but I can speak to the fact college jobs exist outside of the hub of federal work study. I don't know your school, what it offers, and it's not my job to look. For example, at both the community college I went to and the 4 year university, I got jobs in transcription and research. It may not be your field, but it's "pocket money"

Further, I am a big advocate of the value of networking. I cannot tell you how important it is to plug yourself, your skills, your talents. Do this via LinkedIn or whatever makes you comfortable.

I am also a big advocate of volunteering. Haven't had a job for some time? Go out there and volunteer. It gives you marketable skills, shows a future employer you can get somewhere on time, and puts something current on your resume.

I have friends that live in towns with less than 20-30k people and absolutely NO buses and manage to get jobs. I'm not saying this will ring true for you, but I'm sharing this to illustrate the idea that anything is possible.

Freshen up your resume, get decent interview clothes (if you don't already have them), and slap on a smile and get out there.

The only way to change your circumstances is to change how you view them.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:37 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,522,111 times
I'm still trying to figure out OP, what is keeping you from driving, or did I miss that?

Old 03-29-2013, 08:37 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
Has anyone here decided that maybe starting a business is a viable way to get a JOB? Here is what I did in the past:

1. Window cleaner. Washed windows at homes and businesses. It does take some time to master but it is an easy way to make some money.

2. You must have access to a computer if you can read this. I am thinking you know how to type as you will comment about how hard things are right now. Have you thought to look for jobs in the writing field? Many of these can be done from home and you won't have to even leave your home to find them. My 15 year old son does this now because no one would hire him. If he can do it why can't anyone else?

3. Online sales? I just read a story of a girl that was renting a room from her aunt and she was playing around on the computer, found a dress for sale on eBay, realized it was worth more than the $8 or $9 that the people wanted for it, she bought the dress and sold it for $1,000. That is how Naughty Girl (One of the fastest growing retail stores on the planet) got started. After 6 years in business this now 28 year old girl just sold $100 million in clothes. She used Myspace, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and other mostly free sites to advertise her business. I like her business model and plan on using many of the things that she uses for my business.

4. I always see opening for call center jobs. Many of these you can do from home.

5. Always openings for sales positions. Since you may not be doing anything anyway and want to make some good money, have you looked into Farmers Insurance? They have a great training plan and you can build a book of business over time and they will give you your own location when you hit a certain amount of business. You do need great credit though to go into it.

6. Edward Jones financial planning is a great opportunity as well. They will train you and you will take over a specific area within the city that you live in. Now you do have to get out there and work, same as with any thing. I know a couple people that are doing very well with this company as with the Farmers Insurance company.

Some people may say that their are better companies to work for and that may be true. What I am bringing up is the barrier to entry is fairly easy to get into those that I listed. The training is available. One thing that stops many is that they may be making money now at another company and the time to build a business is a factor in keeping them from going into sales of some kind. That is not something that is stopping someone that has no job though. They can devote all their time to building a business.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:41 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Has anyone here decided that maybe starting a business is a viable way to get a JOB? Here is what I did in the past:

1. Window cleaner. Washed windows at homes and businesses. It does take some time to master but it is an easy way to make some money.

2. You must have access to a computer if you can read this. I am thinking you know how to type as you will comment about how hard things are right now. Have you thought to look for jobs in the writing field? Many of these can be done from home and you won't have to even leave your home to find them. My 15 year old son does this now because no one would hire him. If he can do it why can't anyone else?

3. Online sales? I just read a story of a girl that was renting a room from her aunt and she was playing around on the computer, found a dress for sale on eBay, realized it was worth more than the $8 or $9 that the people wanted for it, she bought the dress and sold it for $1,000. That is how Naughty Girl (One of the fastest growing retail stores on the planet) got started. After 6 years in business this now 28 year old girl just sold $100 million in clothes. She used Myspace, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and other mostly free sites to advertise her business. I like her business model and plan on using many of the things that she uses for my business.

4. I always see opening for call center jobs. Many of these you can do from home.

5. Always openings for sales positions. Since you may not be doing anything anyway and want to make some good money, have you looked into Farmers Insurance? They have a great training plan and you can build a book of business over time and they will give you your own location when you hit a certain amount of business. You do need great credit though to go into it.

6. Edward Jones financial planning is a great opportunity as well. They will train you and you will take over a specific area within the city that you live in. Now you do have to get out there and work, same as with any thing. I know a couple people that are doing very well with this company as with the Farmers Insurance company.

Some people may say that their are better companies to work for and that may be true. What I am bringing up is the barrier to entry is fairly easy to get into those that I listed. The training is available. One thing that stops many is that they may be making money now at another company and the time to build a business is a factor in keeping them from going into sales of some kind. That is not something that is stopping someone that has no job though. They can devote all their time to building a business.

Starting your own business is a LONG TERM solution for when you have a job not a QUICK SOLUTION when you don't have a job

Old 03-29-2013, 08:43 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Starting your own business is a LONG TERM solution for when you have a job not a QUICK SOLUTION when you don't have a job
There are web sites where you can bid on various projects like data entry and Powerpoint presentations and start today.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:13 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,274,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNJONNY View Post
So your experience, location, experience, and situation are transferable to everyone on earth? I didn't know we had a regular Spiritual deity on our hands here. Would you be able to bless me?

--------

Five years is really long. Unless you are a convicted felon, live in a rural area of only a few thousands, have diagnosed mental issues, severe or mild disability, and or live in a town with literally no jobs/companies left, you can find a crap job with a few weeks-months effort/consistency. If you're looking for more than crap than sitting and hopping....that I could see taking years. Like I know someone who it took 3 years to move from a decent to non crap job. During that time she changed nothing beyond going to work, applying, and living her life.

let's say she was a manager at her previos job. Doesn't matter what kind....a manager over something. A manager is a manager for a reason. Your not saying these managers skills aren't transferrable? Yes they are. If she was in HR.....there are loads of HR departments in almost every business.

So yes....it is conceivable to think her skills are transferrable.....perhaps over the entire globe too.

Quote:
I really don't have any interest in hearing about your career history so please keep it to yourself. Thank You

Your not understanding. You sound young....I am too. Learn from you elders though. They have wisdom that can only be attained from age. If some 50 year old grams can find another job....I would hope a younger person could. Your doing something wrong if not. We learn from others. Obviously you don't care or you might have a job by now.

Quote:
Yeah sure, but were not saying invest 10k into one of these jobs.

Were talking about making money. Any Joe Schmoe can go to yard sales at 9am find a trinket and sell it on ebay for $200. Or can mow a lawn. Or tend to homeowners garden while their on vacation. There is money to be made you don't have to start a business and invest 10k into it.

Did you ever see his other post?

Would you pick strawberries if you had to to make money? Say it was a summer job. I know a lot of people would think it was too "low" for them or too "labor intensive".

What is the alternative though? Sitting a home complaining on here or to relative that you have no job. Go pick some strawberries so I can purchase them at my local grocery store.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:28 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
OMG

Now we have people who are employed acting all doom and gloom that there are no jobs out there. Obviously there are jobs....you have one!

Why are you even posting the way you do?

This is just ridiculous.

Because this time a year ago I know there were some months that were bad for job postings. Like the month of March and April so I can relate because I used to be in that situation and will never ever criticize anyone ever again for expressing how hard it is to find a job.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:34 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,274,506 times
Quote:
Because this time a year ago I know there were some months that were bad for job postings. Like the month of March and April so I can relate because I used to be in that situation and will never ever criticize anyone ever again for expressing how hard it is to find a job.
Sure to find that 50k job. To find that minimum wage job when the OPer lives near a college and is in Orlando. Not finding anything for 5 years...BS. It is Spring Break.....no place in Orlando is busier and could use an extra body even if it is for a week? BS again. He isn't looking hard enough or can't settle being a bag boy if it has been 5 years.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:40 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
Quote:
Simply not true. Necessity is the mother of invention and many, many people actually do start up their own little businesses to keep the wolf from the door when the employment situation is rough and until they can get back into their particular career niche. This has been pointed out countless times on these forums and has been amply demonstrated by many contributors with first hand experience.

Then again there are others who only take that step when their unemployment benefits run out. But to make such a generalized statement presented as fact is simply incorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search