Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 12:01 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,943 times

Advertisements

The hiring process for minimum wage jobs has now become just a sick cruel game. People who get hired know how to play the game. The last thing this person needs is to just sit there blaming himself and still staying idle. Just filling out an application doesn't work. He, like me, will have to think outside the box on finding ways to make yourself stand out. Most of the common sense stuff people say doesn't work.

When there's 500 people in line to work at a fast food joint for a job anyone can do there is no way you can stand out on paper. Sometimes having a college degree will give you the edge, but most of the time it won't because you''ll get slapped with the over-qualified label. Gotta think outside the box to get hired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 12:12 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,137,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
The hiring process for minimum wage jobs has now become just a sick cruel game. People who get hired know how to play the game. The last thing this person needs is to just sit there blaming himself and still staying idle. Just filling out an application doesn't work. He, like me, will have to think outside the box on finding ways to make yourself stand out. Most of the common sense stuff people say doesn't work.

When there's 500 people in line to work at a fast food joint for a job anyone can do there is no way you can stand out on paper. Sometimes having a college degree will give you the edge, but most of the time it won't because you''ll get slapped with the over-qualified label. Gotta think outside the box to get hired.

I don't agree that the hiring process is the problem but the rest of your post makes perfect sense.
Now you're talking!

Old 03-29-2013, 12:13 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,896,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
A foreign worker shouldn't be taking an "educated workers" job. BS again.

Most foreign workers aren't educated by any means.

When I go to Meijer or Giant Eagle the place isn't ran by mexicans, arabs, or any type of foreign people. Their what most would consider "American". Now if you live in Texas or something that may be the case. Move farther north then. Problem solved.
Foreign workers are taking educated jobs like tech jobs.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Nope. Anyone who is educated has no excuse for being out of work for "years." They need to re-purpose their skills and become marketable.
Wrong. How can they if their skill was in a field with outsourcing or visa workers and they can't afford to go back to school?

Old 03-29-2013, 12:28 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I was talking to a relative, and I was telling him my circumstances and constraints of getting employment, and he was of the assumption that I'm making excuses for myself. He said that there are millions and millions of people in the developing world who would love to be in my position, and that there's no reason for me to make "excuses". Does he have a valid point?
I am a firm believer that everything that happens in our life is a direct result of choices that we make. There is nothing which is insurmountable and nothing that cannot be changed. Most people who are not working are in that position because of choices that they are making or have made in the past. You can change your present and your future by making better decisions and choices.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-29-2013, 12:31 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,274,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Foreign workers are taking educated jobs like tech jobs.
So a foreign worker (mexican) perhaps is taking a tech job. If you say so.

Are we talking about foreign educated workers? Even so...this is America? Land of choices. Their not paying $7.85 for a tech job. If someone truly wants a job they will take that $10 tech job. It is a good starting point. I don't see very many companies that have all foreigners.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Wrong. How can they if their skill was in a field with outsourcing or visa workers and they can't afford to go back to school?
Then they learn a new skill or start a new career.

What is the alternative? People don't understand this. Even if your job is now outsourced. What do you do? Sit at home and do nothing or change careers if you have to or work for ole Macdonalds if need be for awhile.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I am a firm believer that everything that happens in our life is a direct result of choices that we make. There is nothing which is insurmountable and nothing that cannot be changed. Most people who are not working are in that position because of choices that they are making or have made in the past. You can change your present and your future by making better decisions and choices.

20yrsinBranson
Life is full of choices. Choices that WE make. It is up to us to fulfill our dreams and wishes.

Agreed 100%.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
So a foreign worker (mexican) perhaps is taking a tech job. If you say so.

Are we talking about foreign educated workers? Even so...this is America? Land of choices. Their not paying $7.85 for a tech job. If someone truly wants a job they will take that $10 tech job. It is a good starting point. I don't see very many companies that have all foreigners.
They import Indian workers, this happens all the time.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Then they learn a new skill or start a new career.

What is the alternative? People don't understand this. Even if your job is now outsourced. What do you do? Sit at home and do nothing or change careers if you have to or work for ole Macdonalds if need be for awhile.
Except those low paying jobs generally don't hire overqualified people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search