Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2013, 11:06 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,274,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I was just on CL. Most of the listings are scams. The ones that seemed legit, I applied to. Besides, there aren't that many job postings that suite my profile.

They don't "suite my profile"? Oh brother. So your complaining because you don't have a job. There are jobs, but you don't have a car. And now certain jobs don't suit your profile.

Give me a break. This is why people don't ever get jobs. They are too low for them or it doesn't suit their profile. I don't have a car so that weeds out pretty much 7/10 jobs off the bat.

Excuses.

Also most aren't scams. Unless they say "pizza job" and then they say we deleiver pizza email me. That is a scam. Most aren't though.

Quote:
Where did I say I didn't have a license?
You didn't say nothing!

Its only been asked 4 times.

So you don't have a car? Your parents won't get you a beater?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
I was just on CL. Most of the listings are scams. The ones that seemed legit, I applied to. Besides, there aren't that many job postings that suite my profile.
I just went to the bev/hospitality/ etc. in Orlando on Craigslist.

Loads of jobs. I didnt see any scams. Stop BSing us and be an adult and get a job if you want.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:42 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,682,796 times
Suit my profile = not qualified for job.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:21 AM

21,867 posts, read 25,161,984 times
So did we ever figure out what the constraints were?

Hasn't worked in five years, no transportation, doesn't feel working in a food service or hospitality is a good match. Anything else?

I actually take the opposite view on that from a lot of those here. If you don't need a job, working in McDonald's or busing tables at a restaurant isn't really going to open up doors in a career job assuming you're going to college or some training program. You'd be better off taking an unpaid internship in your field as far as that goes. Seems odd to discount those jobs if you actually need one, however.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:37 AM

977 posts, read 763,806 times
I live in the Chicago area. Unskilled labor is getting around $10 per hour. I have been on the hunt since my company, Hostess Brands, closed in November. So yes. There are jobs. But if you have a family then you will probably need to string together a couple jobs if you are unskilled. I used WorkNet Dupage in my area. They have great resources and provide some assistance. Try accessing WIA or TIA funding if possible. I personally will be heading back to school for an AAS in CIT courtesy of the TAA benefits made available. Even though I have some skills as a former lead man it's tough for a 56 YO. Age is a factor no matter what anyone tells you. Good luck

Old 04-01-2013, 08:12 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
It's not easier to get a job when you already have one due to interview scheduling conflicts.
Yeah, sure buddy. People are dying to hire the lazy unemployed people. Keep thinking that and enjoy the unemployment lines. Goodness! It is ALWAYS better to be working.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
So did we ever figure out what the constraints were?

Hasn't worked in five years, no transportation, doesn't feel working in a food service or hospitality is a good match. Anything else?

I actually take the opposite view on that from a lot of those here. If you don't need a job, working in McDonald's or busing tables at a restaurant isn't really going to open up doors in a career job assuming you're going to college or some training program. You'd be better off taking an unpaid internship in your field as far as that goes. Seems odd to discount those jobs if you actually need one, however.
This is why people think that it is their own fault they are unemployed.

Sure he is in college and only looking for "pocket money" so it isn't a huge deal. But if there is one guy who can't find an old beater car and just plain out doesn't want to take certain jobs you wonder if there are many more who are just hasseling around. "Oh I can't find a job"...yeah sure if your lazy and can't try to fix anything about your situation.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Suit my profile = not qualified for job.
Any of those jobs even in that 1 specific category on Craigslist that are minimum wage have practically no qualifications.

You can't be a greeter? Do you have a mouth?

You can't deliver a pizza? Your in college....your not that damn poor. Your folks or gandparents can't see how giving you a beater car is an investment. What about when you graduate....will you still complain about no transportation until your 34?

Sign thrower? You have arms?

Again I take your BS and laugh away.

That was 1 stinkin category, there are over 20 categories. Part time, general labor, etc.

This gets more bizzare by the day.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:17 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice View Post
Definitely not true. Foreign nationals have many high level roles. In all functional areas. Have worked in corporate america for years and many of my peers and superiors have been foreign nationals either on expat assignments, h1b visa, green card holders or the like. worked for a european manufacturer where the majority of the people in my area were not American citizens. It is a big myth that foreign nationals only take jobs that no one else will do. There are many roles that Americans would kill to have that are currently occupied by foreign nationals.
Kill to have but are far from qualified to take I am thinking.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:44 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,943 times
The main issue for alot of people is the hiring process that's done these days. ONLINE. It's all impersonal and messed up. You can apply all day long and not get a single call back which is what's ALWAYS happened to me. I've applied for all kinds of jobs. Fast food, retail, grocery stores, gas stations, even some of the more obscure positions like you see on craigslist. I get no response at all. It's more difficult to get hired at grocery stores then it is to go to college.

There isn't too much of a shortage of jobs I could be applying to per say, but I've lost all patience. I don't get my hopes up when I'm told to "apply online!!!!!!". It's all BS. I'm also not very keen on just handing over my personal information unless I'm SERIOUSLY being considered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search