Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2013, 11:33 AM

21,868 posts, read 25,161,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
And when people do go in the bank, it's not to speak to the teller. It's to speak to a loan officer about an auto loan or mortgage. I have seen more stations and offices for loan officers at the bank than for tellers, nowadays.

The ship for teller jobs has already sailed, decades ago.
It's a lousy job though with very low entry requirements (look presentable, decent customer service, ability to use a computer), so it's a revolving door. I still do go into the teller. I'll go in once a month to deposit since it's too much hassle tracking which banks allow electronic checks (deposit via smartphone) and which don't and I'm not going to sit outside at the ATM feeding one check in at a time. Plus it just makes it simpler. I deposit everything, put 20% in savings, 30% in Sam's account for taxes, and the other 50% in my checking account.

Also, even with ATMs tellers still end up doing a lot of the paperwork end. It's just more efficient as the machine deals with the customer interaction. If you go into a bank now, you'll see say 10 people in the bank. Two are loan officers, a branch manager-type, and then seven tellers. About half of the tellers are helping customers and the other half are doing paperwork. If the line gets out of control, they'll switch over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 11:37 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Still, that's over a half-million jobs that will soon be lost, which is nothing to scoff at given the glut of unemployed people already.

Meanwhile, you have over 3 Million Cashier Jobs that will be lost not too soon in the future as well.

Yup those are two jobs I can see being eliminated all the time, cashiers and bank tellers

Old 03-31-2013, 01:09 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Even if being unemployed for over 5 years?
I agree with relative who based his opinion knowing the full details of your "constraints"

Old 03-31-2013, 02:33 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,689,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Time goes so fast when you are not working. A week goes past in a snap and you can have 5 weeks like that without any calls for a interview. Which is why it's so easy to be unemployed for 3 and 4 months,

I was very strict on myself and felt like if I didn't have a productive week of job search there was no going out on the weekends. I only went out on the weekends when I was called for a interview during the week.
yea time blurs...days become weeks into months and years and before you know it you are still writing 2011 on things.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:29 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,682,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I agree with relative who based his opinion knowing the full details of your "constraints"
Employment wasn't a priority of mines until of recent. My father's business is faltering as of now, so it's urgent for me to find work.

I don't want to go back and forth with you. You're notorious for trolling the political forum.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:36 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,274,506 times
Quote:
Employment wasn't a priority of mines until of recent. My father's business is faltering as of now, so it's urgent for me to find work.

I don't want to go back and forth with you. You're notorious for trolling the political forum.
This whole thread is a "Troll". Made by the best troll CD has.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:33 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Quote:
I was talking to a relative, and I was telling him my circumstances and constraints of getting employment, and he was of the assumption that I'm making excuses for myself. He said that there are millions and millions of people in the developing world who would love to be in my position, and that there's no reason for me to make "excuses". Does he have a valid point?
Of course he has a valid point. There are jobs out there, but do you want to do what is available? You might have to move down a ways, but you can work back up. First you need to get a job. It is always easier to get another job if you are still working.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:36 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Of course he has a valid point. There are jobs out there, but do you want to do what is available? You might have to move down a ways, but you can work back up. First you need to get a job. It is always easier to get another job if you are still working.

It's not easier to get a job when you already have one due to interview scheduling conflicts.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:51 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,487,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
It's not easier to get a job when you already have one due to interview scheduling conflicts.
I remember the good day when I was employed last year and recruiters were calling and I could just hit them with the hard questions how much is the OTE what are the bennies oh really no thanks.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:10 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,682,796 times
I challenge anyone to post a minimum wage job ad in the Orlando area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search