Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 12:25 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times

Advertisements

People on this tread, are all blaming a CEO other executive for the cancellation of the interview.

They really do not understand, that executives can have a serious problem that cannot wait to be solved pop up and the appointment could not be kept.

The person involved, may have been in an auto accident on the way to the interview. Probably not, but something like this makes a rescheduling necessary.

There may have been a serious problem in the business, that required the person doing the interview, to have to go somewhere to solve it.

The person to do the interview, may suddenly have become sick, or a member of his/her family could have to be rushed to the hospital and they needed to go there.

This list can go on and on, and the appointment would have to be rescheduled. Of course you will never know what the problem was, or the true reason the appointment was rescheduled.

Those that have never been in upper management in a company, realize that there are things that can com up that are much more important than an interview with a potential hire. They don't happen often but when they do, that problem takes control of their time, and must be solved before everything else.

The fact that they had set up the interview equipment and were ready to go, shows that they were planning on holding the interview, but something that was more important came up and had to be rescheduled.

If they had gone ahead with the interview, and the problem was occupying their mind, the thing that would have happened would be shorten the interview, and rush you out and you would not have been given the job as they would not be able to devote the time needed to really interview you. It is much better to reschedule, than to give you a quick interview and the bums rush out of there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 12:40 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
By now, oldtrader, the OP should have received an abject apology with the exact reason this occurred. Things do happen, especially at that level. That is less a problem than the outrageous way they handled it, with the lack of appropriate followup. It shows the person who told him of the cancellation was not well trained or even aware of basic common business practices. An abrupt cancellation without calling shortly thereafter (at least a corp representative) is a terrible sign of this corp as a prospective employer.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:31 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
This place sounds like they treat employees terribly. I'd write it off.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:18 AM

16 posts, read 20,573 times
Where I work HR is usually on time for interviews but people at the VP level up to our COO will keep them waiting for over an hour without so much as a word. Sometimes I think it is a game to see what type of abuse the applicant will take. Because meeting with senior management is usually the last step before being hired, most candidates will play the good solider and wait and wait and wait. Our COO will cancel appointments at the last minute even if the candidate is sitting in the lobby if he does not "feel it" after walking past the person. And people complain about HR!!

Old 02-08-2014, 09:52 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
When we all get to senior management positions, let's resolve not to allow this sort of thing in our company.
It wouldn't happen in my company. And I can think of a couple of other well respected companies where it wouldn't happen, either.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:13 AM

1,187 posts, read 2,394,296 times
Happened to me - showed up after several confirmations, I boned-up on the bios of all the people who were going to interview me, pressed my suit, cut off my ponytail and was loaded for bear, ready to make a big impression and step into a role that had my name all over it. I get there and no one know who I am or why I am there. I'm told that "Joe is in Maryland since Tuesday so there must be misunderstanding and Terry is in the field today...no one was expecting you". I have the confirming e-mail, the person greeting me raised an eyebrow, disappear and return saying "Someone will get back to you, these things happen." Needless to say, I never heard word-one from them and went on to do other things. Looking for work can suck because some people and some companies just suck.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:13 AM

325 posts, read 577,188 times
This happened to us last week in Atlanta. They first said they cancelled on account of the weather. Well we managed to fly there, rent a car and a hotel room. We didn't find it too bad. Then re-scheduled it for yesterday. We flew cross country to discover the job had been filled and ten of us were left in the cold. A lousy phone call would have saved us the trip. Nothing, not even an apology was offered. I swear I'm ready to back to Central America where the jobs are plentiful without the BS. Maybe they don't pay as much - but the cost of living is half of the USA.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:14 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
I'll bet it is OK for them to do that and they expect someone to understand, but someone leaves a document on the copy machine by accident once they start working and gets read the riot act. One never knows for sure.

Assuming you decide to still pursue the position: If they ask you if you are a team player in the next interview, say you have already demonstrated that already by being flexible after the last minute interview cancellation that you did not complain about or criticize. If I was interviewing, that would impress me.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:20 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieJensen View Post
This happened to us last week in Atlanta. They first said they cancelled on account of the weather. Well we managed to fly there, rent a car and a hotel room. We didn't find it too bad. Then re-scheduled it for yesterday. We flew cross country to discover the job had been filled and ten of us were left in the cold. A lousy phone call would have saved us the trip. Nothing, not even an apology was offered. I swear I'm ready to back to Central America where the jobs are plentiful without the BS. Maybe they don't pay as much - but the cost of living is half of the USA.
That's just terrible!

Old 02-08-2014, 01:22 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
People on this tread, are all blaming a CEO other executive for the cancellation of the interview.

They really do not understand, that executives can have a serious problem that cannot wait to be solved pop up and the appointment could not be kept.

The person involved, may have been in an auto accident on the way to the interview. Probably not, but something like this makes a rescheduling necessary.

There may have been a serious problem in the business, that required the person doing the interview, to have to go somewhere to solve it.

The person to do the interview, may suddenly have become sick, or a member of his/her family could have to be rushed to the hospital and they needed to go there.

This list can go on and on, and the appointment would have to be rescheduled. Of course you will never know what the problem was, or the true reason the appointment was rescheduled.

Those that have never been in upper management in a company, realize that there are things that can com up that are much more important than an interview with a potential hire. They don't happen often but when they do, that problem takes control of their time, and must be solved before everything else.

The fact that they had set up the interview equipment and were ready to go, shows that they were planning on holding the interview, but something that was more important came up and had to be rescheduled.

If they had gone ahead with the interview, and the problem was occupying their mind, the thing that would have happened would be shorten the interview, and rush you out and you would not have been given the job as they would not be able to devote the time needed to really interview you. It is much better to reschedule, than to give you a quick interview and the bums rush out of there.
I agree that people should be understanding that executives regularly have emergencies, and things do come up-- the problem to me is moreso that no apology was given. Even when the admin assistant said they have to reschedule, there was no apology at all. To me, that is unprofessional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search