Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 07:03 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
The implied threat is bring your pay-stub or we won't consider you for the position.
Exactly, and just me but it would be a deal breaker.

Some people seem to forget a job interview is a two way street(maybe the exception being if you're laid off, UE ran out, and your funds are drying up). But that is not the case with the OP.

Sorry, if they're insisting on a pay stub what is it like to work there? Doctor's note every time you call in sick?

No thanks.

And what you made at the last position shouldn't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 07:10 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Quote:
Agreed imagine you went to a car dealership and the dealer demanded to see statements on all your savings accounts and income. And of course you owe the dealer complete honesty because like businesses, car dealers never behave unethically.
I take it you've never applied for a car loan or a mortgage?

Old 09-18-2015, 07:10 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
What the company is doing is a long time practice by many hiring managers, asking you to bring a recent pay stub for 2 reasons.

1: Proof you really work there, without having to call to verify.

2: To verify you tell them the truth. The figure if a person will lie about their income, that they will lie about other things, and this one of the easiest ways to prove if your are being truthful with them or telling them lies.

Kind of a test of your character.
LOL...utter nonsense. Why do you think there are HR depts?

To use your logic instead of making a simple phone call and verifying that the person worked there, bring in a pay stub, that pretty much any 12 year old these days could make on the computer.

Oh those pesky phone calls, takes under 5 minutes to make the call and ask the questions. You know find out for real if this individual actually did work at said company.

That would be like buying a car from someone by looking at a picture of the car that they showed you, instead of seeing the actual car and making sure they really owned it and you took it out for a test drive.

You don't verify employment by looking at a pay stub the potential employee brings you.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:56 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
I take it you've never applied for a car loan or a mortgage?
I paid cash for my car but that is a good reason to have finance prearanged before going to the dealer.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:48 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,016,375 times
Quote:
Part of finding a job is fitting in. All the managers on this forum love to talk about fit.

Well if the company is lying, cheating, demanding stuff they have no right to then you should do the same. That is fitting in and being a team player.
lol. In some offices it really is like that, the company is shady or is involved in evil business practices, the most successful people in the company are sociopathic liars, so why would a job applicant to a company like that need to be 100% honest?

For instance, maybe the boss is married but is cheating with his secretary, and others in the office know about it? Even though the office policy is no office romances? Don't expect everyone working there to behave honestly then. They are already living in denial and actively avoiding an elephant in the room every day while trying to do their jobs. Similar with a business or company that behaves unethically.

the problem seems to just solve itself where really honest people are instantly repulsed by what they encounter throughout the interviewing and on-boarding process.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:59 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Quote:
Of course I do. If a company is full of backstabbers, and sociopaths how well will an honest person with a strict moral code fit in? Why he could be a whistle-blower or worse.

This is about empowering workers. You beet the companies at their own game. They know exactly what they can get away with and every sleazy loophole to increase their profits and that is the extent of their moral compass,. Money and the law. It is such a farce that there is an expectation on job applicants that they should behave any better.
A lot of posters have this attitude. They recommend that you lie to get a job. They say to evade questions. They say how evil companies are.

Fact: Companies are looking to eliminate this kind of applicant. They do a pretty good job of it, and we see poster after poster that say they do these things, and wonder why they cannot get a job.

When I acted as HM, I have seen this many times over the years. You learn to weed out those types, and try to save hiring them, and fire them during or at the end of the probationary period. It is normal, that the honest cooperative applicants get jobs, while the liars and company haters do not.

You do not have to bring in a current pay stub, and the company does not have to offer you a job. If you cannot do such a simple thing, then they consider you would have the same type of attitude on the job and do not want you as an employee. It is not the company that puts your application into the reject pile, you are the one that does it by not cooperating with the company.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:13 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,444 times
OP, you said that if you don't get the job it's not a big deal. So, just don't bring the pay stub. If that is a deal breaker for them, I say you dodged a bullet. Their offer should have no connection to the previous salary. They should offer you what you are worth to them based on the market. If they can't judge your value they shouldn't be in business.

I don't care for the attitude some have expressed that these companies/HR depts. are somehow "better" than the job applicants and are "weeding" out the bad ones, or are owed some kind of allegiance or truth.

Companies lie all the time, manipulate and mistreat employees, and break rules and laws.
Business is business, it's not personal. As an employee you should bargain to get the best deal and I assure you the company will take you for whatever they can.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:43 PM

28 posts, read 31,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
A lot of posters have this attitude. They recommend that you lie to get a job. They say to evade questions. They say how evil companies are.

Fact: Companies are looking to eliminate this kind of applicant. They do a pretty good job of it, and we see poster after poster that say they do these things, and wonder why they cannot get a job.

When I acted as HM, I have seen this many times over the years. You learn to weed out those types, and try to save hiring them, and fire them during or at the end of the probationary period. It is normal, that the honest cooperative applicants get jobs, while the liars and company haters do not.

You do not have to bring in a current pay stub, and the company does not have to offer you a job. If you cannot do such a simple thing, then they consider you would have the same type of attitude on the job and do not want you as an employee. It is not the company that puts your application into the reject pile, you are the one that does it by not cooperating with the company.
And I suppose this is why I have a good job, and a salary I want... Because they weed out ambitious people like myself

I'm not undermining the the hiring process, I'm just avoiding a hard rule I know some places have with certain percentage raises. I'm hardly doing anything but slightly exaggerating to their HR department, and overall my slightly increased pay will have ZERO affect to this company, but will have a significant affect on me.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:52 PM

28 posts, read 31,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
OP, you said that if you don't get the job it's not a big deal. So, just don't bring the pay stub. If that is a deal breaker for them, I say you dodged a bullet. Their offer should have no connection to the previous salary. They should offer you what you are worth to them based on the market. If they can't judge your value they shouldn't be in business.

I don't care for the attitude some have expressed that these companies/HR depts. are somehow "better" than the job applicants and are "weeding" out the bad ones, or are owed some kind of allegiance or truth.

Companies lie all the time, manipulate and mistreat employees, and break rules and laws.
Business is business, it's not personal. As an employee you should bargain to get the best deal and I assure you the company will take you for whatever they can.
Ya I have it printed out and ready to bring but haven't decided if I want to show them or not if asked. Who knows, they may not even ask for it. Tricky thing is I also have to fill out my salary on the application form so I have to decide what I'm doing and stick to it.

This company has seemed quite stringent in a lot of ways and to be honest I'm not sure if I'm willing to go from the relaxed environment I'm in currently to have a place that's like this. Another reason why I'm only considering it if it's a significant pay bump. And again, the only way to hit the 95k mark is to slightly exaggerate.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:21 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
And the company will wonder what else you exaggerate on,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search