Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 03:23 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You did hiring a very long time ago. Things are a lot different these days. Personality is more important than skills or honesty. It's all about how the candidate fits in with their current crop of easily replaceable lawnmower parts.
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

Things have not really changed, as how employees are chosen. It has always been, that you chose new employees that would fit in with your existing people. To do otherwise is foolish and asking for trouble. A compatible work force, is what makes things run smooth. But they also had to have the skills and honesty, you were looking for.

Too many young people today have a chip on their shoulder, as shown by so many posters. They hate corporations, and bosses. They think everyone is trying to take advantage of them. They think interviewers are not treating them fairly, and that is the reason they don't get jobs. They think lying is the best solution to get jobs. They think that no matter what their education, background, experience, etc., etc., they should be given a job paying them $ 50,000 to $100,000. Even when the median income for that profession is $ 30,000 to $35,000. They justify it, by how much they have in student loans, plus enough to live at the standard of living they desire. They get an almost worthless degree, and think they should still be paid for professional wages earned by those that took a degree in something that is in demand.

They do not want to follow the rules the company has set up to hire employees. They give the prospective employee the choice of having them check with their current employer, or to bring in a pay stub to prove they work there. The prospective employee refuses to allow either, partly because they are liars and have given a big lie they do not want detected.

Employers want to find out enough about future employees to know what they really getting from people they are considering hiring. That is now the way it is done, and the way it has always been done. The biggest difference is, that so many of the newer workers think they can beat the system, and resent it when they can't.

The good, honest, applicants still get jobs. The others place a doubt in the employers minds, and they don't get the jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 09:44 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

Things have not really changed, as how employees are chosen. It has always been, that you chose new employees that would fit in with your existing people. To do otherwise is foolish and asking for trouble. A compatible work force, is what makes things run smooth. But they also had to have the skills and honesty, you were looking for.

Too many young people today have a chip on their shoulder, as shown by so many posters. They hate corporations, and bosses. They think everyone is trying to take advantage of them. They think interviewers are not treating them fairly, and that is the reason they don't get jobs. They think lying is the best solution to get jobs. They think that no matter what their education, background, experience, etc., etc., they should be given a job paying them $ 50,000 to $100,000. Even when the median income for that profession is $ 30,000 to $35,000. They justify it, by how much they have in student loans, plus enough to live at the standard of living they desire. They get an almost worthless degree, and think they should still be paid for professional wages earned by those that took a degree in something that is in demand.

They do not want to follow the rules the company has set up to hire employees. They give the prospective employee the choice of having them check with their current employer, or to bring in a pay stub to prove they work there. The prospective employee refuses to allow either, partly because they are liars and have given a big lie they do not want detected.

Employers want to find out enough about future employees to know what they really getting from people they are considering hiring. That is now the way it is done, and the way it has always been done. The biggest difference is, that so many of the newer workers think they can beat the system, and resent it when they can't.

The good, honest, applicants still get jobs. The others place a doubt in the employers minds, and they don't get the jobs.
Darn. Gotta spread some rep around....

Old 09-23-2015, 05:26 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Quote:
What are some ways for the applicant to test the character of the interviewer? How do applicants detect lies from them?

Old 09-23-2015, 05:46 AM

298 posts, read 270,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
What are some ways for the applicant to test the character of the interviewer? How do applicants detect lies from them?
Seriously..These "managers" don't seem to care about the character of the company or the C-level people that run it.

Maybe some of us don't want to work for people like Robert Durst, Bernie Madoff, that Subway guy who was "into little children", then you have the American Apparel weirdo guy, and these are just the people who are well known and can be researched. - I once called and cancelled an interview after I read that an employer was being sued for overtime backpay and improperly classifying employees as "contractors." Another local company was in trouble for serious tax related issues. Also I decided not to apply for the job advertised as the name of the company posting the ad was there for me to see.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:33 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
I would simply refuse, they obviously don't believe you and will catch you.

Sounds like an awful company to work for.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:20 PM

28 posts, read 31,345 times
They said they are working on creating an offer for me. I'll keep you all posted and provide more details, should have it today or tomorrow

Old 09-24-2015, 08:57 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,016,375 times
Quote:
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

God has spoken.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:59 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,016,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudds View Post
They said they are working on creating an offer for me. I'll keep you all posted and provide more details, should have it today or tomorrow
So, did you show them the paystub or not? What did you do?

Old 10-05-2015, 06:24 AM

772 posts, read 914,057 times
Any update ? what was the offer ? did you get the job ?

Old 10-19-2015, 08:36 AM

28 posts, read 31,345 times
Sorry, things have been hectic.

I did not show them the pay stub though they asked for it. I told them that my current employer considers it confidential and that any offer given should be based on my experience and skill set. The HR representative was younger and very sociable and said thats completely understandable.

Anyways, they initially did offer me the job starting at 85,000 with a 15,000 moving package. I said no, they countered with the same thing but added 7000 to the moving package. I said no again, they came back with a 88,000 salary and 22,000 moving package. I am supposed to decide by today but I think the answer is still no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search