Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 08:28 AM

858 posts, read 1,808,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
"I don't see that as relevant. This amount is what I require to come work for your company."
This. I don't get why the new company thinks it's entitled to know your current salary. It's private information. Don't forge anything, just don't provide the paystub or block the numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 08:52 AM

772 posts, read 914,390 times
so when is the interveiw ? are you going to keep us updated ?

Old 09-18-2015, 09:04 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
I NEVER show anyone pay stubs. It's none of their business. There's far more personal information on the stub than just your salary. They can see everything you're paying for and how much. Salary negotiations don't need pay stubs. I've worked in HR and never asked to see pay stubs. Neither myself nor my husband has ever showed them either. Don't think either one of us has ever been asked. I know I would not show them though. It's my business. No one else.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:20 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
If I get asked to show a paystub at a job, I say they are documents which I normally don't print due to security purposes and leave it at that. If they aren't going to hire me over personal information fears, odds are they aren't the company for me.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:22 AM

150 posts, read 172,234 times
Tell them you got promoted recently and the pay raise did not go into effect yet.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:24 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merjolie8 View Post
This. I don't get why the new company thinks it's entitled to know your current salary. It's private information. Don't forge anything, just don't provide the paystub or block the numbers.
The thing is several companies do ask on applications. I don't really have a problem with that honestly. They don't ask for hours just full time or part-time status

Old 09-18-2015, 10:43 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,589,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Any company ascinine enough to demand pay-stubs deserves to be lied to. I've had it up to here with the assertion some people constantly make on this forum that as an applicant you have to adhere to some high and absolute moral code while the companies play as dirty as ISIS. They have set the standard that anything you can get away with goes so that is what you should do as well... play by their rules.
A company asking for something is not being unethical or dishonest.

An applicant lying about something is being unethical and dishonest.

If an applicant disapproves of the company asking for something, man up and say so. Don't try to lie like a little kid and try to get away with it.

The trouble with lying is that you have to remember the lies, which is impossible in the long run, if you stay with the person/company you lied to. It also is likely you'll have to lie more in teh future to cover up the previous lie (see the OP's suggestion about fraudently forging a fake paycheck stub).

There is no data to suggest that lying about one's former salary gets you any more of a salary at the new company. There IS data to suggest that plenty of applicants get caught lying, though.

Why does the company ask for paycheck stubs? It suspects an applicant is lying and/or has caught applicants lying before. If the OP doesn't turn in the paycheck stub, they will know he was probably lying....he will not get the job. Not a well thought out plan by the applicant. How naiive.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:44 AM

772 posts, read 914,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I NEVER show anyone pay stubs. It's none of their business. There's far more personal information on the stub than just your salary. They can see everything you're paying for and how much. Salary negotiations don't need pay stubs. I've worked in HR and never asked to see pay stubs. Neither myself nor my husband has ever showed them either. Don't think either one of us has ever been asked. I know I would not show them though. It's my business. No one else.

That's a very good point, they would see if your paying child support, or having your wages garneshed, or have a 401k loan .... never thought of that .

Old 09-18-2015, 10:51 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,434,650 times
The alternative is to give them a pay stub and redact every bit of sensitive information with a black Sharpie leaving just the employer address.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:58 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
A company asking for something is not being unethical or dishonest.

An applicant lying about something is being unethical and dishonest.

If an applicant disapproves of the company asking for something, man up and say so. Don't try to lie like a little kid and try to get away with it.

The trouble with lying is that you have to remember the lies, which is impossible in the long run, if you stay with the person/company you lied to. It also is likely you'll have to lie more in teh future to cover up the previous lie (see the OP's suggestion about fraudently forging a fake paycheck stub).

There is no data to suggest that lying about one's former salary gets you any more of a salary at the new company. There IS data to suggest that plenty of applicants get caught lying, though.

Why does the company ask for paycheck stubs? It suspects an applicant is lying and/or has caught applicants lying before. If the OP doesn't turn in the paycheck stub, they will know he was probably lying....he will not get the job. Not a well thought out plan by the applicant. How naiive.

It's amazing how childish some people are. "The company does it, so I can too! So there!"

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search