Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 08:01 PM

146 posts, read 213,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
I know you won't care as your position on this has been clear for a long time, but it's called integrity.

Even if you think others don't have it, that's no reason to give it up yourself.

With that said, my employer doesn't ask for pay stubs.
With all due respect sir, integrity goes right out the window when the kids are hungry and the house is cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 08:03 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,989,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Uh yes there is it is called a need for food and possibly to support your family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfrommars View Post
With all due respect sir, integrity goes right out the window when the kids are hungry and the house is cold.
So in that situation, it's better to risk getting caught in a lie and not get a job at all then it is to negotiate honestly and get hired?

Interesting approach, that.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
With all due respect to you, no, it does not. Only being honest when it's easy to be is a lack of integrity.

Being honest when it is difficult to do so is at the very heart of the concept.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:06 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,434,650 times
Quote:
negotiate honestly and get hired?

Interesting approach, that.
Honest negotiation is not possible when the employer is playing dirty. That is like having an honest negotiation with ISIS.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
With all due respect to you, no, it does not. Only being honest when it's easy to be is a lack of integrity.

Being honest when it is difficult to do so is at the very heart of the concept.
At this point, lets agree to disagree, Il take feeding my family and providing NO MATTER WHAT over whatever sense of high-horse integrity youre selling.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Honest negotiation is not possible when the employer is playing dirty. That is like having an honest negotiation with ISIS.
Yeah you like that analogy I see.

As I said earlier, if you know your market value the current or prior salary is a non-issue. Negotiate based on the market value, not the prior salary.

"Yes, Mr Employer, I am seeking 90k even though I'm making 75 now. 90k is a fair salary based on the market. My current salary is well below market, which is one reason I am seeking new opportunities."

How hard is that? If the employer won't budge or you can't meet somewhere in the middle where you're happy you don't want the job anyway.

Of course if you're unemployed and the heats off and the kids are starving you may need to be more flexible and not play hardball but hopefully you've also not tipped your hand by telling the employer that. You stil, however, don't need to lie.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
At this point, lets agree to disagree, Il take feeding my family and providing NO MATTER WHAT over whatever sense of high-horse integrity youre selling.
As you wish, but the horse isn't really that high. Not telling lies is actually pretty basic but I'm not your father.

Parting thought...are you ok working in a place where your coworkers have no integrity? Do you need to trust them? I know I do.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:22 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,434,650 times
Quote:
Yeah you like that analogy I see.

As I said earlier, if you know your market value the current or prior salary is a non-issue. Negotiate based on the market value, not the prior salary.

"Yes, Mr Employer, I am seeking 90k even though I'm making 75 now. 90k is a fair salary based on the market. My current salary is well below market, which is one reason I am seeking new opportunities."

How hard is that? If the employer won't budge or you can't meet somewhere in the middle where you're happy you don't want the job anyway.

Of course if you're unemployed and the heats off and the kids are starving you may need to be more flexible and not play hardball but hopefully you've also not tipped your hand by telling the employer that. You stil, however, don't need to lie.
Won't happen. Once they know you are making 75 they will offer ~82.5k maybe you can push 85. Anything more than a 10-15% bump is an uphill battle.

If you want to have a fair negotiation fine I'll tell you my salary range and you tell me what you have budgeted and what the last person performing the job made. Of course the company will say h#ll no. You give me your salary history right now and we never reveal the salary range for the position.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
As you wish, but the horse isn't really that high. Not telling lies is actually pretty basic but I'm not your father.

Parting thought...are you ok working in a place where your coworkers have no integrity? Do you need to trust them? I know I do.
Using your own words.. Im not their father.

I do not hold anyone to my " standards " and rightfully do not expect others to hold me to theirs.
Integrity is extremely subjective, if I have learned anything on this earth is that each moral compass points to a different north.

If my co workers are liars, knaves and thieves more power to them, most of the companies I have worked for are absolutely worse than the biggest Ahole on my team.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:27 PM

28 posts, read 31,361 times
Wow, these have been excellent responses varying across the board! Thanks for all the tips, and even the arguments to be honest haha. As of right now I feel I'm leaning towards not bringing the pay stubs, filling out the application form as I verbally told the recruiter "84,000" and hoping it doesn't come up besides in verbal question.

If it does come up in question, then say my paystubs are confidential, but in a better thought out way.

At least that's how I'm feeling right now. Fairly certain I've ruled the forgery out, just thought it was an interesting thought brought up by someone in a another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search