Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 02:18 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times

Advertisements

In the real world, for most things, 'preferred' means more desirable, not necessarily a requirement.

"I prefer pasta for dinner, but pizza is OK."

"I prefer blondes, but have dated many brunettes."

So, when you see a job listing that says...

"...prefers a Masters."

"...prefers XXXX certification."

...what is your opinion from experience?

Preference or de-facto requirement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 02:19 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
In the real world, for most things, 'preferred' means more desirable, not necessarily a requirement.
It means more desirable, not necessarily a requirement.

Even then, how many successful applicants even meet ALL the requirements let alone preferences? I don't think I've ever was hired for a job that I met EVERY requirement.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:24 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
It means more desirable, not necessarily a requirement.

Even then, how many successful applicants even meet ALL the requirements let alone preferences? I don't think I've ever was hired for a job that I met EVERY requirement.
I tend to think that for the jobs I've applied to MANY applicants meet all of the requirements. So, if you don't have the preferences all down, your resume pretty much goes to the back of the pile.

Your experience is different I guess.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:27 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I tend to think that for the jobs I've applied to MANY applicants meet all of the requirements. So, if you don't have the preferences all down, your resume pretty much goes to the back of the pile.

Your experience is different I guess.
Or, I may have not met all the requirements (e.g experience with skill XYZ), but I met several of the preferences (masters degree in ABC). Sometimes there is a similar skill to XYZ that is sufficient for example.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:28 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,583 times
Sometimes they put stuff on the ads so that you'll be prepared not to expect top dollar

Old 07-05-2013, 03:02 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
Sometimes they put stuff on the ads so that you'll be prepared not to expect top dollar
But some of the "prefered" requirements such as a degree, certain amount of experience, particular types of experience, specific experience with skills and other things, counter act that. Ie asking for 3 to years experience AND a degree for "entry-level" positions...

Old 07-05-2013, 03:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,584 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I'll use the example of what happens when I have an opening. We use software that is used by only about 150 organizations worldwide, so the chances of finding someone with experience using it are slim to none. We put something like "3 years experience using database management software, XYZ preferred". We do not expect nor ever get applicants that have used it, but during the interviews we can tell if they have used something at least similar to ease the transition during training.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:24 PM

23,537 posts, read 24,029,400 times
The employer wants that specific trait/quality, but it's not a requirement.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:40 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
But some of the "prefered" requirements such as a degree, certain amount of experience, particular types of experience, specific experience with skills and other things, counter act that. Ie asking for 3 to years experience AND a degree for "entry-level" positions...
Example:
Energy trading support roles, an IT job. Background in Finance is prefered.... it would help if you understand trader linggo in order to do your job. (I suggest taking advantage of the dummy/idiot books for those)
remember, the opening could be a replacement or expansion of an existing role and they just want to get close to someone's experiences.

lastly, some ads are better fit for foreigners/H1B visa holders already lined up (especially for greencard processing), so they sound hard to fill, some sound degrading/confusing in fact, on purpose

Old 07-05-2013, 04:47 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
3 to years experience AND a degree for "entry-level" positions...
Oh, those are my favorite. The reason why kids with Bachelor's and Master's degrees end up waiting tables after graduation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search