Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2015, 02:16 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
The Shlah hakadosh, in the front of his sefer, traces himself there and my great grandfather traces himself to the Shlah. I'm sure lots of people can trace themselves back there.
So does that mean you've done a DNA test to see if you have any markers common to people from France?

Old 10-29-2015, 03:05 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,265,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
So does that mean you've done a DNA test to see if you have any markers common to people from France?
Nope. I'm not that interested. I have a family tree and don't need much else.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:13 AM

23,164 posts, read 10,455,314 times
I wonder if the Talmud says anything of Ezekiel 48-31, about the order and name of the gates, it is a very peculiar line up. There is about 20 ways in which to list the tribes and Ezekiel 48 is the most peculiar. Genesis 49 looks obvious with a progressive ladder having 12 steps, but actually it is 4 groups of 3, just like 3 gates in each direction and so going through 12 tribes og Gen 49 is moving through 4 steps, from 3 names in each diection.

But Ezekiel doesn't have such an obvious plan, it is really , really interesting because the order is anything but random.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I wonder if the Talmud says anything of Ezekiel 48-31, about the order and name of the gates, it is a very peculiar line up. There is about 20 ways in which to list the tribes and Ezekiel 48 is the most peculiar. Genesis 49 looks obvious with a progressive ladder having 12 steps, but actually it is 4 groups of 3, just like 3 gates in each direction and so going through 12 tribes og Gen 49 is moving through 4 steps, from 3 names in each diection.

But Ezekiel doesn't have such an obvious plan, it is really , really interesting because the order is anything but random.
The talmud references these verses on page 122a of the Tractate Bava Batra when discussing the Messianic era and the distribution of lands. It doesn't justify the order but says that it is the result of the divine distribution so intuiting a reason may not be fruitful.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:50 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
The talmud references these verses on page 122a of the Tractate Bava Batra when discussing the Messianic era and the distribution of lands. It doesn't justify the order but says that it is the result of the divine distribution so intuiting a reason may not be fruitful.
Babylonian Talmud: Baba Bathra 122

Please expand.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:

The order of the names always means something, it's like Jacob blessing the 12 in Genesis and then Moses coming up behind Jacob and changing that blessing in Deut.

Simeon is divided and Moses puts Simeon in Judah.

Gen 49
5Simeon and Levi are brethren; instruments of cruelty are in their habitations.
6O my soul, come not thou into their secret; unto their assembly, mine honour, be not thou united: for in their anger they slew a man, and in their selfwill they digged down a wall.
7Cursed be their anger, for it was fierce; and their wrath, for it was cruel:

I will divide them in Jacob, and scatter them in Israel.

Deut 33

And this is the blessing of Judah: and he said, Hear, Lord, the voice of Judah.

''HEAR'' {Simeon's name.}

So We don't see Simeon's name in Deut 33, but we see him insinuated into Judah.

The way they camped around the Temple and how the gates of the city always show 3 names, and in Genesis 49, at each direction of the 12 you have 3 names and the thing it is showing is two brothers fighting and also a third there.

The Koran talks about Issachar being a man with a million books that he never read because of an ancient concept{from where, I don't know} there is Issachar and Zebulun as merchant sailors who sell their wares from a ship upon the sea. That Zebulun works as a merchant sailor to support his brother Issachar while Issachar studies to be a priest, so that one life of our life is spent making money and working so that we can go home and study the word of God. One side of the boat for money and the other side for study, and then there is Judah.

Judah, Issachar and Zebulun seemingly to represent a physical world and a spiritual world working hand in hand so that whenever Judah is ready, he jumps from the boat.

So if I move around the temple, I figure myself within each group of 3 like beginning in Reuben, Simeon and Levi with a bad beginning but you move up like a progressive ladder. Then I see the order of these names in Ezekiel and they begin to form a design with a meaning just like the design of Judah, Zebulun and Issachar.

I guess I have too much time on my hands.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:35 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,808,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
The order of the names always means something, it's like Jacob blessing the 12 in Genesis and then Moses coming up behind Jacob and changing that blessing in Deut.

Simeon is divided and Moses puts Simeon in Judah.

Gen 49
5Simeon and Levi are brethren; instruments of cruelty are in their habitations.
6O my soul, come not thou into their secret; unto their assembly, mine honour, be not thou united: for in their anger they slew a man, and in their selfwill they digged down a wall.
7Cursed be their anger, for it was fierce; and their wrath, for it was cruel:

I will divide them in Jacob, and scatter them in Israel.

Deut 33

And this is the blessing of Judah: and he said, Hear, Lord, the voice of Judah.

''HEAR'' {Simeon's name.}

So We don't see Simeon's name in Deut 33, but we see him insinuated into Judah.

The way they camped around the Temple and how the gates of the city always show 3 names, and in Genesis 49, at each direction of the 12 you have 3 names and the thing it is showing is two brothers fighting and also a third there.

The Koran talks about Issachar being a man with a million books that he never read because of an ancient concept{from where, I don't know} there is Issachar and Zebulun as merchant sailors who sell their wares from a ship upon the sea. That Zebulun works as a merchant sailor to support his brother Issachar while Issachar studies to be a priest, so that one life of our life is spent making money and working so that we can go home and study the word of God. One side of the boat for money and the other side for study, and then there is Judah.

Judah, Issachar and Zebulun seemingly to represent a physical world and a spiritual world working hand in hand so that whenever Judah is ready, he jumps from the boat.

So if I move around the temple, I figure myself within each group of 3 like beginning in Reuben, Simeon and Levi with a bad beginning but you move up like a progressive ladder. Then I see the order of these names in Ezekiel and they begin to form a design with a meaning just like the design of Judah, Zebulun and Issachar.

I guess I have too much time on my hands.
Well guess I am in the same boat. I have seen the same. Eventually you get close enough to see the 4 Living creatures. And then you hear a knocking at the door.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:38 AM

566 posts, read 504,082 times
I see a mod deleted my post of Jews dancing with a donkey. So, I ask, why do they do it? Is it tradition(as Tevya claims), a commandment, or a prank?

https://www.facebook.com/14668864102...84793/?theater

Old 12-14-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Gomar Holnyuk View Post
I see a mod deleted my post of Jews dancing with a donkey. So, I ask, why do they do it? Is it tradition(as Tevya claims), a commandment, or a prank?

https://www.facebook.com/14668864102...84793/?theater
The redemption of a firstborn donkey (and the subsequent status of that donkey) is a biblical commandment. Dancing as part of the celebration is not part of the commandment, but simply an expression of joy at the fulfilling of the law.

Yeshiva.co - Redeeming a Firstborn Donkey!

Old 12-14-2015, 09:48 AM

Cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism