Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2017, 04:50 PM

23,164 posts, read 10,455,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
If someone says they can't work with "those people" whoever "those people" are then that person has identified within in themself an area to work on in terms of their own personal growth and healing.

If your niece works in health care she may need to find a different line of work. I've worked in health care over 20 years and if a person can't abide by "don't take it personally" then they are not going to be happy or successful in their job. And they do a grave disservice to the clients they are being paid to serve. We are there to make the patients feel better not for them to make us feel good.

Her quitting is about her own buttons being pushed and not about what a patient said or did. You do get that right? It will keep happening to her until she addresses that part of herself.

A sage within our midst.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Having someone find joy in puking on your person because he thinks his religion allows it sounds like mental illness to me. I'm sure that wasn't an everyday occurrence. I do think she was not happy in that position, and the nasty patient was simply a last straw.

Not everyone has the tolerance to remain around people who do not like you simply because you are not one of them, no matter how much you "should" try to not take it personally. Those people perhaps should just not work in such situations, and no one else needs to sit in judgment on them for being uncomfortable in that setting.

A young person is also going to be less inclined to know how to handle prejudice directed at them. As I said, I don't let the doors that are shut on me at the businesses in Borough Park and the pretense that I am not there hurt me because I don't take it personally, but I am in my 50s. It's annoying, but I know this rudeness is theirs to own. 25, 30 years ago, I too might have said "f this", and quit working in that environment.
You are the Queen and I am certain you will handle yourself in an honorable way that you have become every person to everyone involved in your flawless forgiveness, I have great faith in you, and I believe you are exactly where you are supposed to be but sometimes you forget that you are THE QUEEN, LOL.

There is no greater revenge than kindness, not that you would take revenge, just remember that we are praying for the love that you show to people and how honored we are to pray for your unrelenting decency, I have all the faith in the world that if anyone should open their eyes at you, they will become ashamed, be excellent to everyone, and I know that is already you. Heck, you might even become the first woman president.

Who knows, but you will have to beat me.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:45 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
You are the Queen and I am certain you will handle yourself in an honorable way that you have become every person to everyone involved in your flawless forgiveness, I have great faith in you, and I believe you are exactly where you are supposed to be but sometimes you forget that you are THE QUEEN, LOL.

There is no greater revenge than kindness, not that you would take revenge, just remember that we are praying for the love that you show to people and how honored we are to pray for your unrelenting decency, I have all the faith in the world that if anyone should open their eyes at you, they will become ashamed, be excellent to everyone, and I know that is already you. Heck, you might even become the first woman president.

Who knows, but you will have to beat me.
I take it you are trecovered from your recent health setback! Happy to know that.

As we get older, hopefully, we see experiences as opportunities for knowledge rather than stumbling blocks. I was always fascinated by the concept of Ganesha, the deity (with the elephant head) that some Hindus hang an image of in their workplaces. In their religion, Ganesha helps overcome obstacles, but he also provides the obstacles in the first place. It's about learning and growth.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:40 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,105,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Moderator cut: off topic

I do actually have one serious question for you. Do Orthodox, Conservative and Reform Jews see one another as "not real Jews" the way some Christians see each other as "not real Christians"? How do you as an orthodox Jew see the other groups? Do you believe the way they are living their lives to be less pleasing to God than the way Orthodox Jews are living theirs? Before you answer, I realize that if someone is born of a Jewish mother, he is a "real Jew," so that's not what I'm asking. Maybe a better way of putting it would be: Do orthodox Jews consider Conservative and Reform Jews as not being "good Jews"?
I think a better question to ask is, what do Orthodox rabbis view Conservative and Reform rabbis?

Heh.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I wouldn't say that Avraham Avinu was the first Jew...More like Yitzchak...Or possibly those at Har Sinai...
What's Har Sinai?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I know, I have already read those links...If Avraham was a Jew was Sarah also a Jew?...
I recall reading a Wikipedia article on Jewish origin years ago, there's always 2 sides of it. The religious side, and the secular (or atheist) side. The religious side would trace to the 1st Jewish family, Abraham his wife, and their kids.

I think the secular side talked about some scientific study where they examined the blood/dna of a lot of Jews with the last name Cohen, to see if they can pinpoint them to a common origin. I forgotten the details of it.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I never did understand how a Protestant thinks he is not Catholic when he follows what is wholly Catholic. Catholics have their own laws and worship system that they admittedly say that it is their own and they have all the authority to change or alter the word of God as they see fit, and they did. They created their own laws and worship system and as long as a Protestant follows what is wholly Catholic, he is proving who he sees as his authority.
Didn't Jews over a decade ago, change to no longer view homosexuality as a sin? Or so.

Well, I guess not Orthodox Jews.

Old 02-15-2017, 03:21 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
What's Har Sinai?
Mount Sinai

Old 02-15-2017, 03:33 AM

646 posts, read 465,283 times
Quote:
Didn't Jews over a decade ago, change to no longer view homosexuality as a sin? Or so.

Homosexuality or "having homosexual feelings" itself is not a sin. PracticIng it is not encouraged though. I've had interesting discussions about that with people; I just had never given homosexuality any thought as it never affected me in any way personally so I had no opinion on it other than "whatever." I was surprised by the openness and empathy I encountered in my discussions. I realize though, that this is not always the case

Old 02-15-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:

I don't know, not Jewish.

Old 02-15-2017, 03:20 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,999 times
Quote:

We do very little as a whole group; individual Jews can range from very liberal to very conservative.
Even within the recognized movements you always have subgroups that disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism