Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 05:53 PM

8 posts, read 22,719 times

Advertisements

hello, I am relocating to Kansas City, MO, from Miami, FL, I have been offered a job and would like to know the safest areas since I would be living by myself.

Do you recommend any particular complex.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 05:59 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,504,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewgradRN View Post
hello, I am relocating to Kansas City, MO, from Miami, FL, I have been offered a job and would like to know the safest areas since I would be living by myself.

Do you recommend any particular complex.

Thanks.
Kansas City is a pretty big area. Where will you be working? Do you care about being close to work? Do you care about being close to anything else? Are there other objectives besides safety that are important to you?

Old 11-17-2010, 06:34 PM

8 posts, read 22,719 times
Smile More Info...

The place is called St. Joseph Medical Center and this is the address:

1000 Carondelet Drive
Kansas City, MO 64114
816-942-4400

I am also 24 years old, so I would prefer a place with things to do thanks !

Old 11-17-2010, 06:43 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Bottom line is do you want to live in the city or the suburbs. That's really all it comes down to.

Many young single women live in the city and are just fine. They jog alone, shop alone and are comfortable and confident in such a lifestyle.

If you don't fit that criteria, than the suburbs may be a better fit.

St Joe MC is very central to much of the city. You have the Kansas suburbs right across state line and you have the many more urban neighborhoods of KCMO that start at Waldo and follow the westside of KCMO along state line all the way Downtown.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:51 PM

Okay. That's a great area! You shouldn't have any trouble finding a place that you like.

When I was your age and single I lived alone at the Sklyer Ridge apt complex. That was a long time ago, but it hasn't changed much. I liked it because it had security alarms plus a nice bit of square footage and storage for the money. (And I got to have my own washer and dryer. I hate sharing laundry rooms! )

That's a few miles to the west on the KS side (probably about 10-15 minutes during rush hour, less in the off hours from the hospital.) But there are lots of nice complexes in that general area. All will be close to nice shopping and entertainment options.

But the whole area is very suburban. So for more urban options in entertainment and whatnot you will venture North with friends.

Best of luck to you!!

Old 11-17-2010, 09:12 PM

822 posts, read 2,047,277 times
I would recommend living on the Missouri side just so you don't have to fill out two states income taxes.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:04 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
I would recommend living on the Missouri side just so you don't have to fill out two states income taxes.
It takes like an extra 3 minutes to file taxes in both states.

Honeslty, if she wants suburban, than it would be silly not to live in JoCo right down the road. No reason to live in comparable suburbs clear out in Eastern Jackson, Platte etc and commute when JoCo is right there.

If she wants urban, she can live in the plaza area and it would be a nice 15 minute commute to St Joe Med.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:04 AM

822 posts, read 2,047,277 times
She doesn't have to live in eastern Jackson or Platte county; there are apartments across the street in Missouri that are just like the ones in Kansas, only they're on the east side of State Line road. Why complicate your life and pay more in taxes that you have to? She's already going to be stuck with paying KCMO's earnings tax...why give any more of her salary away, just to live one block west? You will pay more in taxes by living in Kansas and working in Missouri--trust me on this one.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
She doesn't have to live in eastern Jackson or Platte county; there are apartments across the street in Missouri that are just like the ones in Kansas, only they're on the east side of State Line road. Why complicate your life and pay more in taxes that you have to? She's already going to be stuck with paying KCMO's earnings tax...why give any more of her salary away, just to live one block west? You will pay more in taxes by living in Kansas and working in Missouri--trust me on this one.

<sigh>

Old 11-18-2010, 08:10 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,465,079 times
I know a bunch of people that live in that area South KC, there are some decent apartments on like 103rd and Wornall that are fairly cheap. You might even find nicer and quieter places in Martin City like around Red Bridge and Holmes. The Mission Farms area might be kind of a expensive, that 200-300 in savings a month could be used for so many things like visiting friends/family back in Miami or going out to eat/clubs.

What part of Miami did you live in? If you lived in a dense area like Brickell/Design District Area, you might want to start looking on the plaza, because thats about as close as you will get to something comparable in density, and safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City