Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 06:18 AM

886 posts, read 2,226,899 times

Advertisements

All I can say is thank freakin goodness we have Sporting KC... a KC team that is winning, and in my personal opinion the most fun and exciting sport to watch in KC.

I hope we get NHL as well.... I can't stand the slow pace of football or baseball... and I don't care at all about college teams..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 09:07 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,895,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
All I can say is thank freakin goodness we have Sporting KC... a KC team that is winning, and in my personal opinion the most fun and exciting sport to watch in KC.

I hope we get NHL as well.... I can't stand the slow pace of football or baseball... and I don't care at all about college teams..
You mean to tell me you don't like college sports and would prefer pro level sports? This is not possible. You must just hate KU. There are no potential NHL or NBA fans in KC. You would be the only one that would show up!

Seriously, I agree, Sporting seems to be nice alternative to the decades of losing by the Chiefs and Royals, but don't get all silly on me and wish the Chiefs and Royals away (not that you do). I'll say this as an NHL fan and as somebody that thinks the NBA would be great for KC.

I would take the losing Chiefs or Royals over a winning NHL or NBA team. The NFL and MLB are by far and large the top two leagues and the most important for KC's economy (chiefs and royals bring way more tourism and exposure to KC than NHL or NBA ever would), regardless of their records and who's to say that an NHL or NBA team won't suck too. KC doens't have a good track record of winning sports teams.

Like I said, I'm not saying you said that, but I hear it often. People wish the Royals or Chiefs would leave so KC can get NHL or something. Bad idea. Just like I support the NCAA events in KC even though I had no interest in the events myself.

Having said all that. An NHL team in KC would be awesome. I would give up my caps jersey and get a kc jersey in a heartbeat.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:08 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,002,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
While I agree that KC is a college basketball town, I think you are really full of yourself is most of your post here.
How was he being full of himself with that post? His entire post was history of college basketball in KC.

Quote:
Robb mentions above that people in KC don’t want to watch an NBA game. Why the hell would they? Why would most people in KC give a rip about some random game between Memphis and Portland? KC doesn’t have a team but if they did, you would be fighting over these non-existent fans that want to watch KC’s NBA or NHL team on some sports bar tv. You have to actually have a team. But even then, KC Is one of the largest non NHL/NBA markets to watch NBA and NHL playoffs.

I think you guys are being extremely short sighted on this topic.
How are we being short-sighted? This thread is about the Big 12 potentially dissolving yet you keep bringing getting an NBA or NHL team into it.

The Big 12 (formerly Big 8) is a huge part of Kansas City culture. You may not understand it but it is. If you cannot recognize that or realize that then this city you think you know so much about, you know absolutely NOTHING about it at all. Losing the Big 12 would be a big blow to KC for a number of reasons.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:16 AM

210 posts, read 428,617 times
I think we all realize losing the Big 12 is a big deal. But it is what it is. There is nothing the city can do about the Big 12 staying together or not. The question is - what will happen next? And I think kcmo and I are just saying "move on Kansas City, stop living in the past. You've graduated from college."

Old 09-12-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
How was he being full of himself with that post? His entire post was history of college basketball in KC.

How are we being short-sighted? This thread is about the Big 12 potentially dissolving yet you keep bringing getting an NBA or NHL team into it.

The Big 12 (formerly Big 8) is a huge part of Kansas City culture. You may not understand it but it is. If you cannot recognize that or realize that then this city you think you know so much about, you know absolutely NOTHING about it at all. Losing the Big 12 would be a big blow to KC for a number of reasons.
This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Earth View Post
As you can imagine, this rubs certain people the wrong way. Especially people who cannot get over their myopic Missouri-centered view of what KC should be about. That's why certain people want to deny Kansas City's importance as a college basketball town, and even deny the very importance of college sports at all to Kansas City's culture. It's because much of that culture, much of what makes Kansas City a college basketball town, comes from KU.
It's right there with JoCo people saying that the only reason people on the MO side don't live in JoCo is because they can't afford it or the only reason people on the MO side resent the JoCo attitude is because they are jealous.

I am simply not a college basketball or a college sports fan in general. Don't care about it. Belive it or not, there are quite a few people like me that like the pro leagues and have zero interest in college sports. It has NOTHING to do with KU or MU. I actually identify KC with KU, not Mizzou. Mizzou is a St Louis school if anything. Lawrence is practically a suburb of KC.

This is my first reply to this thread.

Quote:
As far as the big games between KU and MU, it sure doesn't hurt the games in St Louis when MU plays IL and IL is in a different conference. They sell out the arena and dome every time, no problem.

KU is embedded in the KC area and that won’t go away. I think the only thing KC may lose is the BIG 12 Tourney, but I see KC getting something that would replace it. No way would KC not be part of some sort of NCAA basketball tournament. The city supports them too well.
I said nothing about the NHL or NBA and supported KC as a college basketball town in my post. I never said a freaking thing about KC not being a college basketball or college sports town or that the big 12 should go away. The only thing I said in later posts was that the city has over 2 million people and I would bet that not even a majority of them are more into college sports than pro sports. Get away from your freaking circle and look around. The Royals average 20,000 fans a game 80 days a year. They used to average over 30,000. Most of the die hard college fans that do go to Royals games are wearing college crap to the games, but most Royals fans are not into college sports more than they are into the Royals. The die hard college fans (annoying IMO) at Royals games are a very small percentage of the fan base. Also Major league teams have a much larger reach bringing in fans / tourists from all over the midwest and even country. I also said that KC is not as important as it once was in the NCAA. There is not domed football stadium in KC and the NCAA is not there anymore. Jackson County voters basically said no thanks to hosting a final four by voting down the arrowhead stadium roof. It's not the same as it was. I'm not saying KC isn't a huge college town, it's just not as important on a national scale as it once was and I don't even think the MO side is into college sports near as much as the KS side and wouldn't be even if MU won every year. There are more people that don't care about college sports. There is enough to come out and fill stadiums for events of course, but it's not in your face college sports in everyday life. JoCo is different, but KC does not revolve around JoCo, but even there, pro fans might outnumber the louder, more visible college fans that are more likely to put emblems on cars etc. You can freak out over that or take it for what it is.

When I say think big, I'm saying go for an NHL or NBA team. Quit acting like you are Tulsa and can't support anything other than random basketball tournaments. KC could support a major league team at sprint and still maintain its college sports events. The die hards will show up at NHL games wearing KU hats just like they do at Royals and Chiefs games .

600,000-700,000 people are not coming downtown every year for KU games, but that many would come downtown for NHL or NBA and you can still have the tourney some weekend when the pro team it out of town.

By the way, having the Chiefs in town helps KC support college football. No Chiefs, no stadium, no season ticket holders list to sell tickets too etc. Does the KU-MU game at arrowhead hurt the Chiefs? I doubt it. Probably no impact what so ever. The Chiefs hurt the Chiefs.

Last edited by kcmo; 09-12-2011 at 10:23 AM..

Old 09-12-2011, 09:49 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,268,404 times
If the Big12 breaks up, what conferences would you like to see the remaining teams join? why?
Or would you like to see the remaining Big 8 teams form their own conference with some new additions? If so, who?
I am a B1G10 fan, but could care less about adding teams east of Happy Valley. I have a fondness for the Big 8 and SWC from watching the rivalry games ABC would show every year.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:51 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,019,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
But I agree with the point -- I don't care what conference either team is, MU and KU are going to play a football game against each other every year for as far into the future as I can see, and there's no reason to think they'd hold it anywhere but KC.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. IF the big 12 disbands and IF MU winds up a different conference, I'm not sure you can count on the two schools playing. If, for example, MU winds up in the SEC, which I still think is doubtful, they will only have a few nonconference games and I promise you that Gary Pinkel and Mike Alden will fill those games with non-BCS conference schools, like Miami of Ohio and the like.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:54 AM

210 posts, read 428,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I do not think we could support both.

It is trash. It isnt immature it is an assessment of a crap product. The most fundamental and important rule in the sport of basketball is dribbling. If a player is not forced to dribble it becomes a different sport. The NBA allows players to take 5 or 6 steps to the basket to dunk because it increases the number of highlights on ESPN. The sport is also no longer made of teams but rather superstars with supporting cast. The entire message of that league sends the wrong message and it is a trashy product.

Look, you're not going to convince me and I'm not going to convince you because ultimately it comes down to what you personally find more aesthetically pleasing in the sport. You like dribbling. That is fine. I like shooting and scoring. College basketball used to be a fun sport. Back in the early 90s when teams like UNLV and Kentucky and Duke and Michigan and Kansas would run and gun and score points, it was beautiful to watch.

Lately though in the games I watch, every game seems to be "let's pass for 25 seconds, then someone will shoot a three pointer - and probably miss." That UConn/Butler championship game was a train wreck. Its completely boring. Not to mention the NCAA is completely corrupt and half the teams are cheating.

Give me the NBA every day of the week. Guys are athletic, making amazing moves, and can hit shots anywhere on the court. How someone could look at any of the Mavs/Heat championship series and then the UConn/Butler game and decide the college game is more fun to watch is beyond me.

But hey, to each his own.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVPete View Post
Look, you're not going to convince me and I'm not going to convince you because ultimately it comes down to what you personally find more aesthetically pleasing in the sport. You like dribbling. That is fine. I like shooting and scoring. College basketball used to be a fun sport. Back in the early 90s when teams like UNLV and Kentucky and Duke and Michigan and Kansas would run and gun and score points, it was beautiful to watch.

Lately though in the games I watch, every game seems to be "let's pass for 25 seconds, then someone will shoot a three pointer - and probably miss." That UConn/Butler championship game was a train wreck. Its completely boring. Not to mention the NCAA is completely corrupt and half the teams are cheating.

Give me the NBA every day of the week. Guys are athletic, making amazing moves, and can hit shots anywhere on the court. How someone could look at any of the Mavs/Heat championship series and then the UConn/Butler game and decide the college game is more fun to watch is beyond me.

But hey, to each his own.
My thinking exactly. I think it has some to with the atmosphere. You don't go to NBA games to "wave the wheat" and all that. It's fun when you are in college, but then you want to see the best of the best play the game and the best players are not at the college level.

Check out a Thunder game in OKC. I think you would be surprised that the NBA is not what you think it is....trash.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:00 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,002,006 times
Quote:
It's right there with JoCo people saying that the only reason people on the MO side don't live in JoCo is because they can't afford it or the only reason people on the MO side resent the JoCo attitude is because they are jealous.

Please explain how you got that out of what he said. He said nothing about JoCo, nothing about anyone affording anything, and nothing about resentment. Seriously, how the **** did you pull that crap out of what he said.

Quote:
When I say think big, I'm saying go for an NHL or NBA team. Quit acting like you are Tulsa and can't support anything other than random basketball tournaments. KC could support a major league team at sprint and still maintain its college sports events. The die hards will show up at NHL games wearing KU hats just like they do at Royals and Chiefs games .
Uh, do you not pay attention? The city has been trying to get an NHL team for the last few years. However, the city really cannot do much if anything at all.

Cities do not own or obtain sports teams. So, the city cannot go for anything. Their power is limited. Sports teams are owned by billionaires and we dont have one willing to do it. Without an owner we will never be able to obtain a team. On top of that, the NBA and NHL are currently considering contraction rather than expansion so the only chance is relocation and that happens very rarely and when it does, there is stiff competition.

Can you ever post without mentioning Johnson County? The amount of college fans on each side of the state line is equal. When you cross into Johnson County there isnt this magical increase in college sports fans you like to claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City