Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 08:35 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times

Advertisements

Been scratching my head about why MU wasn't invited to join B1G10. Only thing I can speculate is holding out for Notre Dame or a stupid infatuation with east coast teams like Rutgers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 09:00 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Been scratching my head about why MU wasn't invited to join B1G10. Only thing I can speculate is holding out for Notre Dame or a stupid infatuation with east coast teams like Rutgers

Missouri is not anywhere close to the Big 10 teams academically and would easily by the worst athletic school in the conference as well. MU does not fit well with the Big 10 at all.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:38 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Missouri is not anywhere close to the Big 10 teams academically and would easily by the worst athletic school in the conference as well. MU does not fit well with the Big 10 at all.
That's either a joke, you have a bone to pick with Mizzou or you simply don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
That's either a joke, you have a bone to pick with Mizzou or you simply don't know what the hell you're talking about.

The Big 10 is a premiere conference when it comes to academics and Missouri is middle of the road in that category. They have failed to crack the first 100 several times.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:27 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
It's premier.

Mizzou would be about middle of the road in the big 10.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:28 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post

He's a ku fan, so yea, not thinking straight. I pretty much can't stand KU and would never say that about them and I always thought MU ranked higher than KU academically or at least I thought it was harder to get into MU, so that would make KU less likely to move to the big ten?

I'm pretty sure this is about money and not much else and the big tend wasn't bringing the money quick enough.

Or something like that...

Old 11-14-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
He's a ku fan, so yea, not thinking straight. I pretty much can't stand KU and would never say that about them and I always thought MU ranked higher than KU academically or at least I thought it was harder to get into MU, so that would make KU less likely to move to the big ten?

No, the last overall national rankings I saw earlier this year had KU at like 43rd in the nation in academics and MU was in the 80s. MU obviously has some good programs in certain areas but KU has been ranked higher in academics for a very long time. MU has had a few years in the last decade where they missed being in the Top 100. KU is consistently ranked in the Top 50.

I have had no less than a dozen people I know get denied at KU and got into MU easily. I had a good friend get denied at KU and then got accepted to MIT. Not saying that KU is harder to get into that MIT but rather KU isnt a piece of cake.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:59 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,412,118 times
Quote:
The Big 10 is a premiere conference when it comes to academics and Missouri is middle of the road in that category. They have failed to crack the first 100 several times.
I assume you're referring to the USNWR national university rankings. The B10 has 5 members in the top 50, 6 more 51-100, and Nebraska in the 101-150 range. Missou would come in 12th out of 13th academically by that measure, but keep in mind there isn't a whole lot of difference between #60 and #100 when you get that far down the list.

Missou is a member of the American Association of Universities. Every school outside of Nebraska in the B10 has that affiliation. Nebraska lost affiliation last year due to the way ag school research and off site medical school research was excluded from Nebraska's research $/total $ ratio.

Missou's problem was that they didn't rake enough $$$ in on the athletic side to make the deal accretive to the B10. They would rank 11th out of 13th in total athletic budget and revenues. That might jump up to 9th or so when if they were to get access to the B10 network money. The B10 wants someone who can come in an become an above average revenue generator when they get access to conference resources (like Penn St. or Nebraska).

Missou also isn't the runaway market leader in any metro (sharing STL with Ill and KC with KU and K State), nor do they give the conference a market they don't at least have some exposure in.

Put all of it together, and none of Missou's credentials by alone would be enough to disqualify them, but none of the school's credentials are strong enough to qualify them either.

Of all Big East/B12 Amer Assoc of University schools (+ ND, who has stellar academics), Missou is pretty far down the list of athletic revenue generators: Texas, Notre Dame, Texas A&M, Nebraska, Kansas, Rutgers were all further up the list. Pitt and Syracuse (AAU member until last year), and Iowa St weren't far behind. If it were up to me, I would have offered invites to just about all of them, but Missou didn't offer up at least one major advantage that most of the others did: football $$$, a national caliber basketball program, or access to NE markets that many of the others did, and those last 2 didn't get it done for any of the others possibly vying for membership anyway.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:02 PM

I just checked the Shanghai rankings and MU has a 110-130 ranking and KU has a 69-89 ranking.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:20 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,412,118 times
Quote:
I just checked the Shanghai rankings and MU has a 110-130 ranking and KU has a 69-89 ranking.
And USNWR has Kansas and Nebraska at #101 and Missou at #90. The further down the list you go, the smaller any measurable difference in quality/selectivity when you're talking 50 spots on a list....much less ten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City