Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 7,368 times

Advertisements

Anyone have info about Hutchinson, KS? Rental houses, schools etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 07:18 PM

10,177 posts, read 11,159,885 times
I can't help much - I've been to the area a few times. It's where the State Fair is held. Also, The Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center is a Smithsonian affiliated space museum are in Hutchinson, Kansas. If I remember correctly - it's less then an hour from Wichita, Kansas. It's been awhile since I was there.....

I think the crime is low as well.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:36 AM

28 posts, read 131,990 times
Default Yet another possible Hutchinson-ian with questions

Hello!

I have no connection to the original poster, but there is a slim chance that I too may be relocating to Hutchinson. (Gosh, I hope Hutchinson can withstand this mighty influx! ;-) Perhaps T2P or some other kind soul might answer a few of my questions?

Were I to transfer to Hutchinson, I *think* I'd be working around North Walnut St. & East 1 Ave.

a) Can anyone tell me what the general area is like? Both as far as working in it and living in it (as I'd like to be able to walk/bike to work).

b) During my Internet house/apt reconnoissance (more on that shortly), I noticed that there were houses for sale built in the early 1900s -- even the late 1800s -- in Hutchinson. Does this mean that the area isn't particularly hurricane prone?

c) There are houses for sale in the N. Walnut St/E. 1 Ave area of Hutchinson for under $50K; some are even around $25k! As a New Yorker (by birth, not by choice), I find this astounding! What is a $25K Hutchinson house like? (Please be precise: "dump" and "great" have different connotation for a New Yorker.)

d) How about apartments? Cost/availability?

e) How about transport around and in/out of Hutchinson? I've read that they have a train station. Any other public transit?

Thanks in advance!

Cordially,
RedManInBlueState

Old 10-21-2007, 06:16 AM

I can't help much, as I only been through the town on several occasions.

When you see houses that cheap - they are in need of serious repair. Handyman Specials... Hutch can get tornado's , so it's not protected from them.

Apartments are cheaper - Living is cheaper in Kansas, but Salaries are less then other States - It balances out in a way.

I see you're from NY - you're going to see a big difference in the area from where you are. More laid back and not much to do.

I'm originally from NY as well.

I hope someone else can chime in and give you the information you're wanting.

Good Luck!

Old 10-22-2007, 12:36 AM

Howdy T2P. Thanks for the reply!

It does seem like $25K for a non-fixer-upper house is too good to be true, but there seem to be a lot of them in the area I mentioned. (Interestingly, few if any have interior photos. Humm...) Being totally unfamiliar with the area, Hutchinson, or Kansas, it's hard to know what to infer. Is the area in a "bad part of town," and, if so, what does that say about the rest of the town? What does a seriously modest, but in-good-shape house go for out there? I know you can't say, but perhaps someone else can.

Then again, the odds of all going well with my transfer probably make this discussion irrelevant. ;-)

Thanks again!

Cordially,
[who ever I am here ;-) ]

Old 10-22-2007, 06:38 AM

Let me give you an example - Maybe Hutch is similiar....

I lived in Dodge City, KS

There were many houses under 50k - I considered them run down dumps. And - they were in neighborhoods I wouldn't allow my dog to roam.

I Know In Dodge, a house costing 100 - 120k was considered higher class. Houses will be cheaper in KS - But, so are salaries. Kansas- Also has personal property Tax, where When I lived In NY, it didn't have that.

So, it balances out. The best thing I'd do is take a trip there and scope out the area before you decide to move there.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:57 AM

Hello again, T2P!

Thanks for taking the time to post additional information!

I must confess that the idea of there being a bad neighborhood in Kansas boggles my mind. At least "bad" as I (we) New Yorker's think of bad. Obviously, a neighborhood frequented by tornados would qualify as bad <g>, but bad people? You're pulling my leg! Everyone knows that bad people, in America, only live on the coasts. All of the fly-over states are populated by industrious, hard working, honest folk, like on "Little House on the Prairie." Surely a prime time television show wouldn't lie?

With regard to my move, on the unlikely chance that it happens, it would involve my transferring to an identical position in Kansas with my current, accursed employer. In principle, I would be paid the same there as I am paid here in NYC. In practice, I'd be working different/worse/slightly less remunerative hours, but, if my job were located in a nice area with decent $25K houses, this would make a *world* of difference. ;-) (And, of course, I have no control over where the job is located, only if I accept it.)

Obviously you are quite correct that it would be good to check the area out before making any decisions (assuming that I am giving the decision to make). But really, nothing in Kansas -- not ever run down houses in unfashionable areas -- can be as bad as even a good area of NYC?

Cordially,
[Whoever I am here ;-)]

Old 10-23-2007, 09:56 AM

Kansas has crime, like any other state. Like any town - there's a good side and a bad side.

There are some nice areas in Kansas - There's towns that are quaint and small.

Hutch is where they have the State Fair each year.....That's basically the only time I went there - Or to drive through to another area.

The heat is wicked - you can go through many dry periods. The humidity is a bit different then NY - but it does get humid. Just not East Coast Humid.

Then you got the tornado's -

The one thing I found hard - was paying tax on food and the personal property tax. You'll find some things cheaper - some things more expensive. That's where I say it balances out.

I lived in Upstate NY - about 30 minutes from White Plains...but know of where you are located. My heart will always and forever be in NY!!!! I visit 2 times a year, as family still resides there....

I always think a person should take the time to scope out a potential new living area.- before moving there!

Good Luck on whatever you decide - and where life may take you!!!!

Old 10-24-2007, 07:36 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedManInBlueState View Post
Hello again, T2P!

Thanks for taking the time to post additional information!

I must confess that the idea of there being a bad neighborhood in Kansas boggles my mind. At least "bad" as I (we) New Yorker's think of bad. Obviously, a neighborhood frequented by tornados would qualify as bad <g>, but bad people? You're pulling my leg! Everyone knows that bad people, in America, only live on the coasts. All of the fly-over states are populated by industrious, hard working, honest folk, like on "Little House on the Prairie." Surely a prime time television show wouldn't lie?

With regard to my move, on the unlikely chance that it happens, it would involve my transferring to an identical position in Kansas with my current, accursed employer. In principle, I would be paid the same there as I am paid here in NYC. In practice, I'd be working different/worse/slightly less remunerative hours, but, if my job were located in a nice area with decent $25K houses, this would make a *world* of difference. ;-) (And, of course, I have no control over where the job is located, only if I accept it.)

Obviously you are quite correct that it would be good to check the area out before making any decisions (assuming that I am giving the decision to make). But really, nothing in Kansas -- not ever run down houses in unfashionable areas -- can be as bad as even a good area of NYC?

Cordially,
[Whoever I am here ;-)]

Are you kidding me? There are bad neighbourhoods everywhere! If you don't think Kansas has them, might I suggest a late night stroll down 13th or 21st and Grove in Wichita? Or perhaps an all expenses paid excursion to beautiful Planeview?

Old 10-24-2007, 07:46 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
NO 25K housing areas that I know of are decent. Typically when housing prices are that low the town or county has VERY high levels of out-migration of the population or a severe lack of non-farm employment. Usually when housing depreciates that much the house tends to be abandoned or lacks basic upkeep. If you want to move to a nice area of Kansas with lots of jobs I would suggest Johnson County. You can still get a small house for under 150K if you look hard enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas