Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2007, 06:26 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,036,041 times

Advertisements

Hello yet again, Kentuckians. Jus tneed more input again. which job market is better, Louisville, or Lexington? I'm a mid level professional with a purchasing backgound, and have been trying to land a Ky job for months, but I don;t even get a response from my applications. I can;t be THAT bad can I?

I was considering moving there, and then looking for work, as I have 5-6 months of expenses saved up, and can no longer tolerate WI in any way shape or form. Ideally I'd like to get a job first, but I think I'm going to have to be local to be considered. Is it too risky? Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 05:00 PM

389 posts, read 1,656,905 times
I wish you luck in moving out of the freezer of Wis.I was living in Minne.myself last yr.I'm glad for the milder climate and jobs here.I don't have any info. as for your profession I don't have a clue who's needing help in that area.but I'll keep my eyes and ears open if I here anything I'll post it to you if you like I work in Lexington myself and I belive the job market here is good but I'm in the health care field and their always needing help.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:03 PM

149 posts, read 764,374 times
For Louisville can recommend "In-Town Suites" at Okalona spittin distance to town for cheap month-to-month lodging at less than $499 w/ fridge and micro.

But whats so horrible about Wisconsin? And what industry you wantin to be "buyer" for? If it was me I'd at least shop names, addies and phone numbers of direct competitors in the same industry located in Lex and L'ville before packin my bags. And/or just show up at offices where you've already sent yer resume.

Dunno why y'all planning emmigration to commonwealth for work aint more specific about what yer lookin for, i really dont. For example if somebody says: "diesel engine tech" lookin for relo then they'll get more specific help than somebody sayin "middle management purchasing agent" thats nebulous.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:44 AM

52 posts, read 154,584 times
As I've said previously, I live in Wisconsin and plan to move in June as I am tired of the cold and shoveling snow. Also, this is something I've been considering for a number of years. Wisconsin is not a bad state, it has a lot of great people, beautiful scenery and other than the cities such as Milwaukee, has very low crime index ratings. I don't understand your total aversion to the state and wonder if you will be happy in Kentucky. All of us wannabe Kentucky transplants need to remember that it's no Shangrila and has good and bad, just like any state.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:24 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,036,041 times
What does "nebulous" mean? I have experience buying for electronic distributors, as well as manufacturing companies, one large robotics co. and a smaller shop that did it's own pakcaging and value added services. It is in the marine industry. As for my aversion to WI, well I'm tired the weather. I don;t mind winter weather in the winter months. I do have a problem with winter weather in the spring and early fall months however. Scraping ice off my windshield in DEC is one thing, scraping it in May is another.

Gb lady has it right: Wi IS a very beautiful state with good people, but I think i need a change. I live in suburban Milw, and sorry to say, those good Wi folks are in a short supply here. no it isn;t THAT bad, but after numerous visits to Ky, I feel I may be happier there. Of course you never really know until you are there.
My SO echoes Gb lady's message as well. She is a painter and has strong roots here, and feels to move due to the climate is a kinda weak reason. MAYBE she's right

Old 12-11-2007, 10:32 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
At least you do have 5-6 months of expenses saved

Your rationale for coming here first ,then finding employment is good, but I've always believed your odds of finding a different job are always better when you still have the old one.
(just my way of thinking)

Old 12-12-2007, 08:30 AM

52 posts, read 154,584 times
I don't think wanting to leave because of weather is wrong and that plays a big part in my decision to leave Wisconsin. I'm tired of shoveling snow and going outside when the temp is -30. For the last several winters, as I was shoveling after a large snowstorm or trying to start my car when it was so cold, I would say that it was my last winter here. Then April came around and it was so beautiful that I'd forget about leaving.

As to the job situation, I understand exactly what you are saying. Some people say you need to be in the area to secure a job and others say it's best to have one before you move. I can understand why an employer would be more hesitant to hire someone that had to pack up and move from another state, especially if he or she needed an employee within the usual two week period. My suggestion is to call various temp agencies and get their input and also keep sending out applications. Another idea is to try getting some contacts from the area you are moving to.

Good luck with your search and let us know how it turns out!

Old 12-12-2007, 10:45 PM

149 posts, read 764,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
What does "nebulous" mean? I have experience buying for electronic distributors, as well as manufacturing companies, one large robotics co. and a smaller shop that did it's own pakcaging and value added services. It is in the marine industry.
No offense was intended and hope you aint thinkin I'm callin yer job position nebulous or irrelevant.

Brand new Toyota hybrid auto plant at Georgetown outside Lexington. Make friends ther and you'll be in like flint. Also huge electronics auto parts mfgr at my old home town of Edmonton. Louisville is more trade hub than manufacturing town, GHQ for United Postal Service with their own airport for example.

Meanwhile if you've got former military status then touch base at Ft.Knox employment office South of Louisville, bldg 1109 that also covers regular civilian employment office for the state. Otherwise nobody here truly honors outa state resumes unsolicited arriving on their desk and chain of command dictates whether job openings get advertised at all.

And if the economy sucks at Milwaukee with company yer working for suffering, dont expect things to be alot better here at Kentucky. Instead you'll find most promotion done from *within* and ye might have to start over again in yer career at lower level than what yer used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky