Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2009, 11:06 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,793,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I don't care if people are against ILLEGALS for any reason.
Interesting that it would not bother you at all if the reason people agreed with you is that they are racists and hate all immigrants due to bigotry. It would concern me if someone agreed with one of my political positions and used this as their reason and might even make me at least reconsider my position. But you are obviously entitled to feel different.

Quote:
...and thus I am glad that poultry processors are hiring and employing them.
I have to say this part of your response hit me funny, but I won't make any assumptions and maybe it's best to just let it lay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 11:38 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
Very interesting post and you sure hit the nail on the head with that last sentence.

America has never truly been a melting pot -- it's more like a mosaic that has always been made up of many different pieces. That's been a strength, not a weakness in my opinion.
Very, very true....I use the term pluralistic society, which it is.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:38 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,486,476 times
Unless the White fertility rate increases we will have to allow immigrants legal or otherwise. Whites account for only 1/3 of US population growth since 2000. In Kentucky the White fertility rate (that's the average number of children a woman has during her lifetime) is down to 1.85.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:48 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
And that is really what's at the root of much of this anger about undocumented aliens. The hatred and fear of someone who looks different, speaks different, and acts different, is almost palatable. Considering the wide variety of people that made this country what it is today, that fear is difficult to imagine. I could name a hundred contributions to America from immigrants, or people who spoke English poorly or not at all, or were a different religion, etc. But I guess it's natural to hate or fear something that is different.

English is a wonderful language. No one is a bigger fan of English than me. But English isn't magical or unique or central to what makes this a great country. We could almost as easily be speaking German today as the main language. (Or Native American!) It's just a historical quirk that we speak English. When the majority spoke English, English became the dominant language. When the majority speaks something else, that will become the dominant language. That's the way it works and it won't diminish our country one whit.

But frankly, that's just a straw dog being put up by those who oppose and even hate these undocumented people, imo. In any case, I again state that it's sad to see such hatred of fellow human beings who come from an area of the world that is across from an artificial boundary that was drawn mostly through historical accident. And the more you meet these people and learn about them, the less that fear will be, I would hope.

To me, much of this is about a perceived loss of power and position in society. For centuries, the white male has reigned supreme, not that we did such a good job with that supremacy. Some people just cannot adjust to a 21st century world and long for the 19th century world.
What you said made me think of this:
YouTube - Tim Wise on Illegal Immigration

Old 09-21-2009, 11:53 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,198,668 times
-----I have to say this part of your response hit me as funny---------

Probably would to posters who can't differentiate between legal and illegal when discussing immigrants and refers to the borderrs of the US as-----"artificial borders"

Old 09-21-2009, 12:56 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,333,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Unless the White fertility rate increases we will have to allow immigrants legal or otherwise. Whites account for only 1/3 of US population growth since 2000. In Kentucky the White fertility rate (that's the average number of children a woman has during her lifetime) is down to 1.85.
That's not good. If Conservative states are looking like that, I'd hate to see New York, or California.

I'm sure it's higher in the Bible belt though.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:02 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
That's not good. If Conservative states are looking like that, I'd hate to see New York, or California.

I'm sure it's higher in the Bible belt though.
Why does it matter how white people are reproducing?

Old 09-21-2009, 04:13 PM

58 posts, read 140,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What you said made me think of this:
YouTube - Tim Wise on Illegal Immigration

Thank you for posting that link. Very illuminating view - I enjoyed listening to it. I'm very interested in what wildcatt86 and canerican have to say in rebuttal .

Old 09-21-2009, 04:20 PM

58 posts, read 140,697 times
Quote:
-----" given you can see them working all the time--"

Define-----"them" !

Just becaiuse you see Mexicans working at a packing plant, poultry processing plant, or big dairy farm does not mean they are the same individuals from week to week or from month to month.

They maybe all look the same, but that doesn't mean they are the same individuals week after week ( or even day after day)
"They maybe all look the same" ??????????? What the heck? You (as well as several others) are bleeding racism all over this thread. Shame on you all.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:38 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,198,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokygirl View Post
"They maybe all look the same" ??????????? What the heck? You (as well as several others) are bleeding racism all over this thread. Shame on you all.
Can JimmyJohnWilson confirm that those are the same individuals that he sees working every day ?

I'll bet he sees Mexicans workers at different times and presumes those are the same workers who were working their the last time he noticed them.

I'll also bet they--"all look the same "-- to JimmyJohnWilson when he praises their work ethic !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky