Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2008, 05:31 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
How incorrect can you be? Both sides? There are also Maryland, Virginia and Kentucky. West Virginia did not just fight for the North, but just as many fought for the South. And once away from the counties bordering Ohio and Pennyslvania, you are officially in Dixie, since most of West Virginia is made up of counties that voted for Secession. The Univ. of Pennsylvania Telsur project places most of KY and WV within the Southern dialect. South Regional Map
And if you look back around pg. 9 or 10 of this thread you will see the US Census Ancestry map, which shows a clear division between Ohio/PA, and KY/WV. The Ohio River is still the division between North and South.
(Hey, Missymom! )
That is true! Hi Bobilee!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 05:45 AM

Here's that map again and yes, the ol' Mason Dixon is still intact:

Old 05-15-2008, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispateinbr View Post
The cool thing about being from KY is the fact that I can choose based on how I was raised if I am a Northerner or Southerner. You talk about the whiskey, tobacco, and racehorses....I grew up in Brandenburg, KY where I would have fluffernutters, snow cream, and apple butter. I never came into contact with all of those "southern characteristics". A good rule of thumb is to divide KY in half. The north part of KY is apart of the "North" and the south part of KY is apart of the "South".
P.S. for the record, I hate tea.
I didn't know what the heck fluffernutter was until this post and did you know it can only be found in one store in all of Kentucky and can also be found all over the South?Fluff Finder

Here's a recipe from Huntsville, AL for snow cream (which I have also not heard of until now) :Snow Cream Recipe - Ice Cream Using Snow Recipes

and a little something about apple butter taken from wikipediaApple butter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia : In areas of the American South, the production of apple butter is a family event, due to the large amount of labor necessary to produce apple butter in large quantities.

You're more Southern than ya know my friend

I think waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much about this stuff....

Old 05-19-2008, 07:00 PM

33 posts, read 105,498 times
Lousiville = southern, yeah right. People need to realize what they think is southern could be what someone considered northern. Go to rural town in Geogria and then to Lousiville and you'll see a huge difference. My father went to Louisville and said it was 100% midwestern/northern. (He grew up in SC and Arkansas) West Virginia is a northern state. maybe the southern tip has a southern culture, but thats about it. W. Virginia fought for the Union too.

the "new" mason-dixie line runs somewhere through the middle of Virginia, southern tip of W. Virginia, middle of Kentucky, and SE Missouri. It would be good to find out out which counties in these states hold a more southern or northern culture.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe91 View Post
Lousiville = southern, yeah right. People need to realize what they think is southern could be what someone considered northern. Go to rural town in Geogria and then to Lousiville and you'll see a huge difference. My father went to Louisville and said it was 100% midwestern/northern. (He grew up in SC and Arkansas) West Virginia is a northern state. maybe the southern tip has a southern culture, but thats about it. W. Virginia fought for the Union too.

the "new" mason-dixie line runs somewhere through the middle of Virginia, southern tip of W. Virginia, middle of Kentucky, and SE Missouri. It would be good to find out out which counties in these states hold a more southern or northern culture.
It doesn't make sense to compare a CITY with a rural anywhere. Compare atlanta and rural Georgia, I bet they aren't the same either.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:37 PM

237 posts, read 849,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
It doesn't make sense to compare a CITY with a rural anywhere. Compare atlanta and rural Georgia, I bet they aren't the same either.
Totally true!

Dig~

Old 05-20-2008, 12:06 AM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,990 times
Quote:
West Virginia is a northern state...W. Virginia fought for the Union too.
Joe91, if you weren't wrong, you'd be right. Kentucky is a Southern state, as is West Virginia. The Deep South is not the test for Southern, personal testimonies are interesting but not persuasive. The trouble with these long threads is that people jump in at the end without reading anything that was posted before. The 2000 Census Ancestry map clearly shows the Ohio River as the dividing line, and the Univ. of Pennsylvania linguistics study Telsur places most of West Virginia and Kentucky in the Southern dialect area. Finally, half of WV fought for the Confederacy, and most of WV is made up of Confederate counties. You really should read the thread.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:22 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
Quote:

You're right, joe91. Every time I go to Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, or even Tennessee below I-40 and come back north to Kentucky, I notice a huge difference. Just from Nashville, TN to Bowling Green, KY, only 60 miles apart, I can notice a substantial difference in the way people conduct themselves in public, service received in restaurants and retail, and even the vegetation (Tennessee has more evergreens than does Kentucky, which is more of a deciduous tree state that looks more barren during the winter.) People just tend to behave in a more genteel, polite, and (for a lack of better terms) kinder manner down South than in 'Caintuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I see your point, Missy. However, in the grand scheme of America with the post-martem of the Civil War, I think Joe is trying only to make a comparison of a place known for a distinctive "Southern" culture to a place that was "border" in allegiance during the war and still "border" in north/south cultural elements today. (In this case, Georgia v. Kentucky, namely Louisville.)

I have to say that even when I'm in Atlanta I still feel like I'm in a more Southern atmosphere in terms of culture, weather, vegetation, hospitality, and even the sheer number of beautiful women walking around as opposed to a place like Louisville. When I return to Kentucky, I realize just how unfriendly (not really rude, just cold and aloof) this place really is compared to the rest of the South.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:51 AM

97 posts, read 766,462 times
Quote:

Have you ever been to West Virginia, Joe? Trust me, it's not a Northern state. Sure, there are parts of northern WV (especially the panhandle) that are more "northern" compared to the other parts of the state. But still, overall it's more Southern than Northern.

Last edited by Colby "The Punk" Wells; 05-20-2008 at 02:01 AM..

Old 05-20-2008, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger57 View Post
Totally true!

Dig~
Thank you darling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky