Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 10:20 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,808,775 times

Advertisements

I say you use the cameras you have installed to observe, what you do is rig the house with explosives in certain areas, entryways that sort of thing.

You just sit in your safe room with monitors going so you can watch the intruder and then set off the boobie-trap at the right time.

Then you simply call the police to scrape him off your lawn or walls whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 10:58 AM

1,376 posts, read 3,083,141 times
Call me crazy but a gun locked in a safe is pretty useless for home defense scenarios.

I second not buying at a gun show. See if you can meet up with others and shoot a few different guns and ignore the glock/XD/S&W/Springfield/HK etc hype. Nothing wrong with any of those guns but you what works for me might not work for you.

The ranges should have rentals for you to try.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:58 AM

391 posts, read 1,030,209 times
A gun is normally a good thing (multiple types with +/-s for self defense...and plinking/range work). If not that familiar (and a lot of times if...repetition), take the safety and CCW courses. Not all are equal, but you'll learn or re-remember from most.

Edit: Noted on no kids. So just apply common sense: friends that are not familiar with said gun / known to have moments of stupidity, etc. Keep it out of their way. Tragedy sucks.

Last edited by icarian; 04-21-2013 at 11:23 AM..

Old 04-21-2013, 11:03 AM

391 posts, read 1,030,209 times
*Temp thread drift* I realize that I have never posted on the Vegas board before the above so an intro should be made. Currently in the middle of nowhere (south of Death Valley and north of Barstow) and I will be moving to the Las Vegas area to work at UNLV within the next three months. We will be buying a home, so the research has started. City Data is always a part of it.
*End thread drift*

Old 04-21-2013, 11:10 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
There is a gun show this weekend in LV, and they are really pushing 'home protection'
I can take a $69 class to get approved for a CCP (which I would not really use) and some training
in the handling of a gun, etc (Besides the common sense items, like never point a gun at your self
and pull the trigger to see if the chamber is empty)

Whats your opinion about getting a gun for home protection
(and yes, it would be in a gun safe, AND I have no kids) ((BUT I do have a jealous girlfriend ))

Jonathan
You need it...the police would only get there in time to put your body in a bag if the bad guys invaded.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:29 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I just recently got my CCP and I will most likely never use it also. I say go for it. Unless you are a gun enthusiast that loves to look at weapons and shoot them, you won't even notice your new toy in your home...until its time to use it or maybe clean it.

If anything, pick something up now while prices are rising. Guns and ammo are like rising stock now. I purchased something for my wife for a little over $500 around Christmas, that same hand gun is almost $600 now. It's getting ridiculous out there.

Just wait till the next mass shooting.

Motorola DynaTAC 8000x
I've shot many weapons (I used to live with a gun collector). It's a comforting feeling to chk-chk that weapon when you think your home is being invaded. That said, dog food is cheaper than ammo, and there is less chance that a jealous girlfriend will shoot you.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:57 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
People with guns in the house are three times more likely to be murdered than people who don't have guns in the house. Seriously, google it. That is because most homicides are committed by someone known to the victim.

I agree with NLVgal -- adopt a dog.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:01 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
Lots of right and lots of wrong in this threat at the same time.

MacGeek,

Getting a gun is a good idea, but it isn't a panacea for home security. In point of fact, if you have to use your gun in your home, you're home security has failed. Home security should be in layers. The last layer is you with your gun.

The first layer is that your home should look not tempting to anyone who would break in. Good lighting, good locks, difficult looking access to the backyard, an alarm (with signs and some visible sensors), maybe some cameras, maybe a large sounding dog. You get the idea.

The second layer is that the house, in addition to looking difficult to get into, should be as difficult to get into as possible (it's impossible to make a normal SF home impregnable), and impossible to do without the occupants knowing someone is trying to break in, well before they can actually get in. A lot of this dovetails with what I wrote above.

The third layer is that your bedroom should be somewhat hardened. Having a gun makes no difference if you get woken up by an invader tapping you on the back of your head with his gun. The bedroom door should be a solid core door with an exterior lockset on it, and maybe even a deadbolt. If there are windows, you need good locks on them. I'd consider getting security film on them also. I'd say to get those barred, but in a fire you may need to get out of them, so that's probably not a good idea. I'd prefer to have a second floor master bedroom, so any bedroom windows are not immediately accessible from the ground.

If you have a gun, you should get what I call a finger safe for it, in reach from your bed (look up Gunvault brand, and there are others) you want to be able to lock the gun up, but you need it available in seconds. This type of safe can do that.

Finally, if you're going to get a carry permit, get a carry gun, and a proper carry rig (holster and gunbelt), and carry. You'll need to learn how to dress around the gun, but that's not that difficult. Also, get serious, not minimal, formal training, and practice regularly (this can actually become a sport.) You're probably more likely to get robbed out of your house than in. That's when you're REALLY want to have the gun handy.

And don't bother buying from the gunshows (edit: I see other people have mentioned this.) Go to some of the rental ranges around town, and try a few different guns, to see what you like. You can then shop around locally to find the best prices. You can also shop on the web (try gunbroker.com.) You can usually find better prices that way. If you want to buy on like, you'll need a local FFL (federal firearms licensee) to process the transactions. Gunstores are always licensees, but they sometimes get uppity about processing on-line sales, since they want you to buy from them at their prices. Gunsmiths tend to be licensees also (it makes their business easier) so find one of them. Processing this type of transaction is found money to them. You can also hook up with other gun owners with experience, and see who they use.

Ytvette,

What you say is mostly true, but with one big error. Any gun used for self defense should have a round chambered and ready to go. All modern handguns (autoloaders and revolvers are designed to be carried that way.) In the heat of the moment, if you forget to rack the slide, you're can be in deep doo doo.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:23 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,083,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW; /quote

You can then shop around locally to find the best prices. You can also shop on the web (try gunbroker.com.) You can usually find better prices that way. If you want to buy on like, you'll need a local FFL (federal firearms licensee) to process the transactions.
I've found several local guys with their FFL that don't carry inventory but will order whatever you want for cost plus X. I found them on AR15.com. Nevadashooters.com has a decent for sale section but nowhere near as extensive as calguns.com. Although buying in state is much easier.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:30 PM

700 posts, read 1,329,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory patrick View Post
Got to agree with above, what kinda erks me lately with all this gun talk by the media, is they claim that so many homes WITH guns are less safe, because the intruder will use them against you, so give up your guns.. Well that's my choice, I want a fighting chance if the intruder is a Killer, if he is armed and a killer and you don't have a gun , your dead.. So it should be every Law abiding Americans choice. Just be sure your guns are secure ..
A 50 year old who hasnt been to the range or worked out in years with the household gun in a safe (but has a gun because the NRA said so) could perhaps be disarmed and harmed by a stronger, faster 23 year old who already has a weapon in hand with a round chambered. Not every single time, but it is a very likely scenario. Most people invading your home dont really want to kill, just steal. Most people are murdered by someone they know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: