Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2017, 10:50 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
The latest press conference the Sheriff said there are now 58 or 59 people dead (he wasn't sure about one of them) and over 500 injured.

Over on the politics forum, they're already speculating about political motives. I think that's silly. Politics didn't cause this idiot to do this (although he might have thought so in his sick mind).

[mod cut]

there are a number of reasons he could have used. All we know for sure is he planned it out.

Last edited by volosong; 10-02-2017 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: Keep Partisan Politics out of this thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 10:52 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
And people have blood splatter
In situatuion like this with high levels of panic/flight response
Someone could be shot and not at first process that
So think they are likely erring on side of caution as far as admitting people who may not appear to have obvious injury
I think he probably did shoot/graze quite a few people but as I said before it is likely many injuries are secondary--not primary
Triage seemed fast and there were many examples of people shielding and helping others
Also, once the initial shock wore off, I'm sure people started having anxiety-related things like panic attacks and chest pains. Plus, when you are in shock, you may not initially process the pain of a broken bone or pulled muscle suffered while you were running away in a panicked crowd of thousands. So, as you say: these likely are more "secondary" in nature, even though the cause was the initial event.

It's also possible that in the confusion last night some of the hospital admit numbers just weren't accurate and needed to be adjusted today.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:54 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Why does color matter?
Or age, or name, or where he lived.

Either it all (potentially) matters, or none of it does.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:54 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
I saw a bunch of people running that looked injured. A bunch of people that needed help to walk. It was pretty gruesome.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
There is no way to stop and search every person that enters a hotel like that. I don't see security being sued. But this is America. So who knows.

What sucks is a lot of people are going to have serious medical bills and I know they all don't have insurance.

Also, go donate some blood today. They're going to need it.
Someone in the most recent press conference (the governor or a congressperson?) said that they have set up a GoFundMe site for people to make donations. The donations will be used to help the victims of this senseless attack.

However, be cautious about donating money to any sites unless you have verified who set it up and are sure it is legit. These types of situations are ripe opportunities for grifters to take advantage of.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:57 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,309 times
So sad, these domestic terrorist are obviously just as much as a threat as isis. One of the biggest massacres in history. People were just enjoying a concert and the Las Vegas strip. Mind blowing, that pulse was just over a year ago

Old 10-02-2017, 11:01 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,309 times
And the mandalay is going to be sued heavily. I hope the hotel survives this because it could have really been any hotel. Hotel security is lax everywhere, there are no metal detectors in most luxury hotels and no major security.

Praying for all those who lost their lives and their family and friends.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:04 AM

497 posts, read 484,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
This is correct... With high caliber fully auto assault rifles I'm surprised there wasn't more devastation with that kind of population density.

Mental health, terrorism, extremism, and all other isms are rearing their dirty heads. I hope that good people will come together to overcome this.
No idea what particular weapon(s) he used, but "high caliber fully auto assault rifles" are extremely difficult to acquire. The licensing and fees alone keep 99% of people from being able to own one. Not saying he didn't, but this is a popular misconception. You can't just walk into a gun store and purchase one. It has also been illegal to import or manufacture one since 1986.
All that aside, this shooting is a terrible tragedy. I just can't fathom why people choose to murder innocent people, especially in this fashion. All too often (as in this case) the shooter takes their own life and we never know the reasons behind their actions.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:14 AM

Well, this is an interesting tidbit about the madman's past. Sounds like he wasn't the only family member who was a psychopath. Some interesting coincidences (perhaps) between the father and son.

This comes from a Newsweek story (link to the story below):

Paddock's brother told a reporter that their father was a bank robber who escaped from prison and wound up on the FBI's most wanted list.

In the early 1960s, the father robbed three banks in Arizona. He was later arrested in Las Vegas and sentenced to 20 years in prison.

In 1968, the father escaped from a Texas prison and robbed another bank in California a short while later.

The FBI put him on its top 10 most wanted list. A "wanted" notice from 1969 said that he had been "diagnosed as psychopathic," and that he might be suicidal and "should be considered armed and very dangerous."[/b]

The father remained on the most-wanted list until 1977 when he was arrested again in Eugene Oregon. He'd been living under an assumed name and had a job as the manager of a bingo parlor in Eugene.

Newsweek says it wasn't immediately clear what happened after that arrest. Public records show he died in 1998.

Here's the link to the full story:

Las Vegas Shooting Suspect Stephen Paddock's Father Was Apparently on the FBI's Most-Wanted List After Prison Escape

Old 10-02-2017, 11:15 AM

560 posts, read 667,385 times
My condolences to Las Vegas and anyone on this forum who was there or knew people who were. Absolutely tragic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas