Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2017, 09:32 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times

Advertisements

Wife likes hers because they have a "bubble" over the eye and don't touch.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:43 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Wife likes hers because they have a "bubble" over the eye and don't touch.
The one I have has little "pillows" perfectly shaped to cover the eye when it is closed, making sure no light gets in. I didn't think I'd like it touching my eyes, but the pressure is so gentle it's practically non existent.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:30 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
That rotton sun just insists on coming up at this hour.
Being a 15 year night shifter, I built 4 walls, with 2X4's, and insulation, around my bed, with a door and a ceiling below my bedroom ceiling, and, black out windows in the bedroom as well. I leave the door open to my bedroom within my bedroom for my fan to blow air into it. With a Tylenol PM + 2 milligrams of Melatonin, I'd sleep right through a 7.5 earthquake!

Old 07-20-2017, 04:39 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
Being a 15 year night shifter, I built 4 walls, with 2X4's, and insulation, around my bed, with a door and a ceiling below my bedroom ceiling, and, black out windows in the bedroom as well. I leave the door open to my bedroom within my bedroom for my fan to blow air into it. With a Tylenol PM + 2 milligrams of Melatonin, I'd sleep right through a 7.5 earthquake!

What if a tsunami followed the 7.5 earthquake, would you still keep sleeping?

Old 07-20-2017, 07:11 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Please, humidity, leave the Valley so I can get my fingers back!

It's arthritis in my wrists/elbows that drove me out here from MN, and with all this dry heat I have had minimal problems in the 24 years I've been out here, except when it rains and there's lots of humidity.

This year, for some unexplainable reason, the humidity is targeting my fingers, no other part of my body, and it's painful just to clinch my fist. I take some aspirin, and that helps, but I'll be back to normal once this humidity passes through!

Am I the only one bothered with humidity? If I were forced to move to a very humid part of the country, who would wheel me around in a wheelchair?

It's for the best that I've passed on Tucson, which gets 10-11 inches of precip. a year compared to here, with barely 4 inches.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:28 AM

654 posts, read 1,323,102 times
The humidity affects me as well. Biggest factor is the barometric pressure. When that drops my whole body starts to ache. Having had chronic pain (from a couple conditions) for 15+ years, this climate is great for me.(I have a rebuilt ankle with psoriatic arthritis - I can often predict bad weather better than a meteorologist. Makes sense, since it's not sewn up as tight as nature intended. Barometric pressure drops, it expands & throbs.)

The climate here was already very helpful compared to the Midwest (Chicago & MN - also Toronto.) What got me to pain-free near 100% of the time was switching to a ketogenic diet. Now I burn my own fat for fuel, blood sugar is rock solid stable, my mind is razor-sharp & my mood is level pretty much all the time. This is the healthiest I've been in at least 15 years.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:37 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Please, humidity, leave the Valley so I can get my fingers back!

It's arthritis in my wrists/elbows that drove me out here from MN, and with all this dry heat I have had minimal problems in the 24 years I've been out here, except when it rains and there's lots of humidity.

This year, for some unexplainable reason, the humidity is targeting my fingers, no other part of my body, and it's painful just to clinch my fist. I take some aspirin, and that helps, but I'll be back to normal once this humidity passes through!

Am I the only one bothered with humidity? If I were forced to move to a very humid part of the country, who would wheel me around in a wheelchair?

It's for the best that I've passed on Tucson, which gets 10-11 inches of precip. a year compared to here, with barely 4 inches.
Knees hips and elbows this time. Damn, it can be hard to stand up.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:09 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
Place is no where near Buffalo and will have a vastly different climate. Actually a port on the St. Lawrence. Closest civilization is in Canada. Ottawa. Actually NE of Watertown which was considered the hardest climate in upstate NY. Cold but no where near the snow of Buffalo or Rochester. Check Ottawa for the weather.

Gorgeous on the seaway about half of the year. Forget abut the rest.

I will get a AWD Kia or Subaru or just keep driving my 2011 Kia Soul base white 5-speed stick and carefully navigate the cold, cold snow and ice. It looks like I can get a kayak and drop it in the St.Lawrence River or nearby Black Lake during the "warm" months. The Adirondack Mountains stand 30 miles south for hiking. Skiing is nearby as well, but I don't ski. Sounds kind of cool.

Literally.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:44 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Place is no where near Buffalo and will have a vastly different climate. Actually a port on the St. Lawrence. Closest civilization is in Canada. Ottawa. Actually NE of Watertown which was considered the hardest climate in upstate NY. Cold but no where near the snow of Buffalo or Rochester. Check Ottawa for the weather.

Gorgeous on the seaway about half of the year. Forget abut the rest.

I will get a AWD Kia or Subaru or just keep driving my 2011 Kia Soul base white 5-speed stick and carefully navigate the cold, cold snow and ice. It looks like I can get a kayak and drop it in the St.Lawrence River or nearby Black Lake during the "warm" months. The Adirondack Mountains stand 30 miles south for hiking. Skiing is nearby as well, but I don't ski. Sounds kind of cool.

Literally.
Spent time up in the thousand Islands in my youth. First place my then wife was ever exposed to outhouses and chamber pots and no electricity. My present wife grew up in the backwoods of Saskatchewan and would have been right at home but the first was a NYC girl. Had a fun time one cool fall morning when I went fishing with a friend whose family owned the house we were using. He hooked up a record class pike. But this is in a 8 or 9 foot punt. We were taking more water than fish and it was not much above 40 degrees. All of a sudden you have to decide not only whether ou want to catch the fish but maybe you should accidentally knock your friend overboard so you don't both die.

We got him and escaped harm...but we were soaked and had to head in quick before the hypothermia got us. Fish was within a couple of pounds of the biggest ever caught. But just got stuffed to go over a mantle.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:26 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,324,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
That rotton sun just insists on coming up at this hour.

I love the sun beating down on me. The temp outside can be like an oven but if there's no humidity, I'm fine. OTOH, when I had a work assignment in Vegas, I went jogging and underestimated the effect of the heat. I felt sick for a while when I got back to where I was staying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas