Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2012, 09:08 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,491,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
So after a long hiatus I decided I need to start watching the news and know whats going on in the world. I think I got so fed up with the sorrow, crime, meanness...I just gave up for a bit. Sadly....I think the fact that many of us do this is our downfall as a society. Things become unchecked and unchallenged in government.

*takes a deep breath*
*turns on TV*
Also unfortunate is the way that the media presents the news. As you say, the focus is on the sensational. Information is given in sound bites with little unbiased analysis. Add this to the unbelievable ignorance about history and you have the abovementioned scenario for a citizenry that reacts only on an emotional personal level instead of an informed level.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:27 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,569,569 times
Quote:
So after a long hiatus I decided I need to start watching the news and know whats going on in the world. I think I got so fed up with the sorrow, crime, meanness...I just gave up for a bit. Sadly....I think the fact that many of us do this is our downfall as a society. Things become unchecked and unchallenged in government.

*takes a deep breath*
*turns on TV*

With your recent return to the news did you happen to catch the mother with the last name slaughter that killed her child here in Vegas?

Old 03-14-2012, 09:29 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,595,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Also unfortunate is the way that the media presents the news. As you say, the focus is on the sensational. Information is given in sound bites with little unbiased analysis. Add this to the unbelievable ignorance about history and you have the abovementioned scenario for a citizenry that reacts only on an emotional personal level instead of an informed level.
Yes...definitely why its frustrating to watch the news. Las Vegas is so quiet and safe until you start watching the news. I know there "is" crime here...however watching the news feeds into those fears, imo.

When I do watch you have to try and sort out all the propaganda for sure. I also have to wonder what is reality anymore nowadays. How corrupt is the world? You just have to wonder how much is a facade and what really happens behind closed doors.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
With your recent return to the news did you happen to catch the mother with the last name slaughter that killed her child here in Vegas?
Grrrr...no I didn't but I just read about it. Unbelievable. And if course she has a weight loss drug to blame for her delusion.

It's sad...to read about the crimes against innocent children.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:39 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,569,569 times
Quote:
Grrrr...no I didn't but I just read about it. Unbelievable. And if course she has a weight loss drug to blame for her delusion.

I'm sure the number of people who are teetering on the edge of having a mental breakdown is probably much larger than anyone could imagine.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:45 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,298,182 times
Quote:

Proof that not everyone should have kids!

Old 03-14-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
I'm sure the number of people who are teetering on the edge of having a mental breakdown is probably much larger than anyone could imagine.
Yes, I'm sure you are right.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:05 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,491,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Proof that not everyone should have kids!
I've taught for almost 24 years. Trust me, most people should NOT have kids!!!!

And in some cases, the kids should be put in charge of the parents!! double

I refuse to watch the news here in New York City. No matter where we travel, NOWHERE has such depressing news as we do here. With the number of murders, fires, child abuses, financial disasters, rising prices, lack of real estate, watching a soap opera will actually cheer you up! (not that I watch them, I love my sitcoms and action movies too much)

Old 03-14-2012, 12:29 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,250,314 times
I have looked back on how much of an unstable roller coaster my life has been and concluded I should never have had children. Thank God I saw the impending disaster before it happened. I will admit I would have been a terrible father. My child would most likely have ended up being like me.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:44 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,298,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I have looked back on how much of an unstable roller coaster my life has been and concluded I should never have had children. Thank God I saw the impending disaster before it happened. I will admit I would have been a terrible father. My child would most likely have ended up being like me.
I'm not having kids, either. Just don't want to, never wanted to, never will. I'll just have cats and dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas